1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy 30th Anniverary to the classic Van Halen album 1984

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Jaydog57, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    One of my all-time favorite albums was released today 30 years ago, Van Halen's '1984.' It was a breakthrough album for the band, because while they had conquered the rock market up until then, they now took over the mainstream of rock fans that watched Mtv. It was the first that Van Halen recorded at Eddie's new home recording studio, "5150," so he had more say in how the album was produced than before. It's not a big deal if you're not a Van Halen fan, but it's still an album that has stood the test of time and is still considered one of the best rock albums ever.

If you've never heard it in its entirety, I recommend you do, you won't be disappointed. Especially if you play guitar. While it may sound dated to a lot of younger people, it's definitely an album with an amazing guitarist, that some of your favorite bands would consider incredible. Eddie did stuff that people are still trying to figure out on guitar. By no means am I saying he's the best EVER, or anything like that, but he's my favorite. :up:

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I was 13 when that came out. Perfect album at the right time. actually preferred "I'll wait" over some of the other songs

Jaydog57 likes this.
  3. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yeah that's a great track, one of the only two songs on the album that had keyboard on it. I always liked 'House of Pain,' I wish it had been released as a single. It was originally recorded when they were making their first album in 1978, and it was one of those songs that didn't fit with the rest of the album.