1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gumbel decides to leave NFL Network

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by ATVZ400, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Bryant Gumbel has decided to give up his duties as the play-by-play voice for the NFL Network’s eight-game package of NFL games, NFL Network announced Firday. Gumbel served as the play-by-play announcer for NFL Network’s Thursday and Saturday Night Football games for the past two seasons.

"I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to call NFL Network games the past two years, which was a new experience for me," said Gumbel. "But we've agreed that we'd all be better served going in different directions. There are a lot of talented people at NFL Network. I thank them, I wish them well, and I have no doubt that they will be very successful going forward."

Gumbel, who has won multiple Emmy awards throughout his distinguished career, teamed with Cris Collinsworth the past two seasons on the NFL Network games. NFL Network will begin a search for a new play-by-play announcer to work alongside Collinsworth immediately.

"We appreciate everything Bryant did in helping us launch our NFL Network game telecasts," said NFL Network President and CEO Steve Bornstein. "Bryant helped create interest in our first foray into televising NFL regular-season games. He is one of the great broadcasters of our time and we are honored to have worked with him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsess...d807b681a&template=without-video&confirm=true

brandon27 likes this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thats good news in my opinion, i found him just awful to listen to in those broadcasts.

3. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    About damn time !!!!!!
    Thank you for this very urgent thread.........:wink2:

4. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Good riddance!

Kermit is gone!

Not only is he a horrid announcer but he's such an arrogant prick as well.

It will be nice to actually enjoy NFL network games this year.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  5. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thank God!!! I have heard more excitement in announcers calling a dog show over Gumbell's NFL work.

6. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I don't like him as a game announcer but I think he's good on HBO Real Sports or shows like that. Certainly no big loss for the NFL Network.

7. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    update
    The NFL Network on Friday announced the two-year experiment to find out whether Bryant Gumbel could become an NFL play-by-play announcer is over. Bryant, who made plenty of on-air glitches, said, "We've agreed that we'd all be better served going in different directions." A worthy candidate to replace Bryant: Marv Albert, now working NFL Monday night radio games.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2008-04-13-masters-coverage_N.htm

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    man his voice was worse than nails ona chalk board....i love how someone said "kermit is gone" haha that was hilarious....hes horrible