1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar Question

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by DonShula84, Jan 17, 2010.

1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I know several of you play, and many more probably tried at one time or another, so I thought I'd come here for some advice. I've been wanting to try playing the guitar for sometime, and recently it's been on my mind a lot. So I've been looking into decent starter guitars, and thought some of you might have experience with this.

I was planning on just getting an acoustic guitar, but after doing a little research online I've read a lot of music teachers recommend people start w/ a classical guitar. So, which instrument is easier to learn on? Or does it really just come down to the type of music you want to play?

Obviously a lot depends on what I'm willing to spend; and it isnt a lot. So, any advice on a decent, cheap guitar to start on?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

to play classical guitar properly is very, very difficult. the sound one gets from one is different than a regular guitar so yes it does depend on what kind of music you're looking to play.

i would suggest starting with an acoustic non classical guitar. get a decent starter model (you'll know because they're not expensive). good brands include fender, yamaha, epiphone etc.

i subscribe to a set of beliefs that say if a song isn't good on acoustic it won't be good on electric. when i write songs it's always on acoustic first then i crank up the noise.

hope this helps. any more questions just ask.

Tin Indian and invid like this.
  3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if you're going to do classical get a classical guitar. the method is hard, but its harder to play classical style on a metal guitar. The reason people are probably saying to start with a classical guitar is also because you're fingers will sleep easier on metal strings.

4. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    How many of us is this? I LOVE it! I started guitar in the past year and I think there's been another 3 threads with people just like you man! Good luck!

5. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure what the right way is. I got a cheap starter kit, an electric with a small amp. That worked out fine because all I wanted to play was hard rock and metal. I still use that guitar for everyday use. It sounds fine with a decent amp. Though I did have to get the bridge lowered because it was set about as high as an acoustic. It can be tough to play fast stuff with a high bridge. But I think the high bridge helped build finger strength. So in that sense it might be beneficial to start with an acoustic.

6. jozephkame

jozephkame New Member

Aug 4, 2023
    Yamaha's in general are great value, high quality sounding so perfect for a beginner. I recommend the Yamaha F310 or if you're hitting up the ukulele then the Kala KA-15S.

7. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    This is the right take. Classical guitars are better played once a player learns more about dynamics. Also, typically the fretboard is wider making it more difficult to play chords, which you'll be learning early. The softer strings argument is just kicking an inevitability down the road. It will hurt your fingertips, at first, on a steel string guitar but you will develop calluses after awhile that you'll be thankful for.

I would go with a reputable steel string brand and model somewhere in the $400-$700 range. Get some steel strings on the lighter side, and then invest on getting it set up by a tech, which shouldn't be too expensive. Most guitars in that market range are put together on a manufacturing line and not set up, which will detract from your early learning experience. You don't want the string action to be so high that there is a mile distance to your finger pressing down on a fret, and you don't want sharp frets catching your fingers as you move around the fretboard. Lastly, you don't want to spend a majority of your time tuning your guitar instead of learning how to play it, although tuning it is an important step to learn.

Then, learn where your notes are on the neck. Then, learn some open chords. Look up some songs that have open chord progressions and practice your strumming. Then, learn bar chords, major, minor, and pentatonic scales. That will give you a nice foundation to move into more intermediate things like considering dynamics, chord embellishments, and then more advanced chording.

Hope this helps!