1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greg Ellis could become Available

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatic8480, Apr 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Guys I would love to see JT as a Fin, but Ellis is two years younger and is a Parcells guy and could come cheaper. He is also a Parcels guy. Could get interesting guys. This guy is also coming of a 8 sack season and knows the system. Real nice two year solutuon.

skippysphins and Larry Little like this.
  2. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    I'd take him.

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I don't think he represents the upgrade to the pass rush that JT does. And that is our issue. We're already plenty good against the run.

He's probably still an upgrade to Roth on the pass rush side. And he's likely still stout against the run. But he'll also be 34 years old when the season starts. And he'll be looking to start. Not sure if JT will be looking for the same thing.

Matt Roth, meanwhile, won't turn 27 until mid-October. And he gave us 5 sacks in his first year as a LB. He also defended 4 passes (to Ellis' 1) and had 17 more tackles. He has limitations in space. But it's not inconceivable that he'll lose 5-10 more pounds this offseason, his first preparing as a linebacker. And I don't know that we're 'close' enough to replace him with a 34-year old who 'might' be an upgrade for a year or two.

padre31 likes this.
  4. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    the simple fact that we didn't draft an OLB is telling ....

yes, we knew that JT was plan B or C depending upon your perspective, but ...

just how does the FO view Wake .... how much better can Roth get with the loss of 10 lbs ... i would 'guess' that Roth will continue to start with Wake coming in on passing downs.

in the end, it will be settled in the next few weeks, via a signing (JT) or a trade ...

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I went back and looked at the predraft columns and apparently, somehow, Omar Kelly managed to phinaggle the truth out of someone, we have one Linebacker spot open, for Miami it would be better if Jason Taylor filled it for a number of reasons, so to me Ellis would be a sort of downgrade of expectations.

The problem is, Tampa and Jim Bates are hitting JT up to come to Tampa and play, so he may not play in Miami anyway.