1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Discussion of Matt Flynn, Bill Walsh & the QB Position - Greg Cosell

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Very interesting and insightful read. Well worth the 5 minutes:

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/02/23/cosell-talks-matt-flynn-and-the-art-of-quarterbacking/

I still like Flynn - but this makes great sense. And, who knows, maybe with the Walsh-applied philosophy, it may make Moore an equally or more efficient QB. Hopefully Philbin & Co. will follow Walsh's philosophy effectively.

I also think that even if we go after Flynn and land him we should still draft a QB prospect at some point.

smahtaz likes this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    This is pretty much on par with the assessments of Flynn, I and a few others have posted. He's a good QB who could have great production in the right system. We happen to have a HC in place who could provide that system.

The article and specifically Walsh's comments, should also put to rest all those arguments against how important the system fit is to a QB's success. It clearly is at least a major factor and maybe the #1 consideration when considering any QB.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Honestly I get the feeling from listening to Cosell talk about QBs for the last few years that he doesn't care about QBs that aren't among that 10% of NFL starters that have no limitations. About 90% of the guys he comments are on guys that "have to be manipulated" and he does not do a good job differentiating the 2 to 9 on those guys. Colt McCoy is the same as Phil Rivers is the same as Matt Flynn is the same as Matt Hasselbeck is the same as Andy Dalton is the same as Joe Montana.

But if you're Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Mallett or Matt Stafford...then he's cuckoo for cocoa puffs.