1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great bullpen pitcher: perspective

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by my 2 cents, Jul 28, 2008.

1. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    OK I will try and spice things up a bit....this is all a regurgitated discussion...but....lets revisit

First of all...I love John Beck...great guy, would love for him to be my neighbor, admire his faith, love his work ethic, admire the way he lives his life, impressed with his attitude, root for the guy to succeed whatever he does in life.....BTW faith is defined as .... belief without evidence...

Second let me state that it is way way way early to draw any conclusions as to who will ultimitly have a good camp or bad camp.......a couple days is a couple of frames in the whole movie......it is crazy to project an entire camp on a couple of days...especially when we have never seen many of these guys perform as NFL players......but John Beck we have seen and I have some things that i hope someone can clear up for me....and please do not refer to the defensive pressure....most NFL franchises have a defense ......

I have been flamed, called a liar in a public forum, and chastised for having the audacity to offer my opinion a while back on the QB situation. I am very much on the record................

I have been reading the posts regarding Beck and his struggles this weekend. I see the same people posting that his struggles are the result of the D being ahead of the O, his OL problems, this and that...every excuse in the book but no evaluation or answer as to why what we are seeing evolve (and saw last year) is an aberration. Someone please provide that.

For those that remember I am well on the record (again my opinion only) evaluating Becks mechanics simplistically speaking, his "intangibles" and his performance....my conclusions are also on the record in some pretty old posts...and I hope like Heck I am/was wrong.

I have not seen this big arm that I have read about, I see him too tightly wrapped, a bit of an enigmatic personality for a QB, I evaluated his mechanics (from prior years) and came to the conclusion that he tends to miss high due to his mechanics, I do not think he protects the ball, and despite I heard all this gunslinger talk I am/was on the record that he has the game manager mentality and game type (and not real great at that)....so with all we have read so far and some have seen.....so far...and IT IS VERY VERY EARLY.....

Where is the correct information, what tools/traits, indicators...heck small glimpses that everything we are reading about, have seen and continue to see develop are actually not real? someone help me see them.....just provide a preponderance of evidence as to why we should have faith.. lets not argue one or two individual details or why the black we see is actually white.......

We have a guy that's strong suit is his intangibles...yet the team quits on him. We have a guy that is "mentally strong" yet comes out the first couple of days...knowing he needs a strong showing ...and lays an egg...

We have a guy with a supposed cannon arm that is throwing ducks all over the place...usually high i might add.....or as Thiesman said..."with wings"...

We have a guy that is a "gunslinger" yet only seems comfortable hitting Ronnie Brown on 3 yard check downs...

We have this guy who's mobility is another great strong suit...yet gives up sacks all weekend.......

He will probably bounce back and have a great day today and everyone will be back on the bandwagon...but these "bad days" are really starting to add up......also why would one great day (even if it DOES happen) give us more credence and hope than one bad weekend, one bad season should cause us to question our faith?

Why should those that actually watched him last season and at BYU hope that he will consistantly be the QB you would rely on as your future..........after all that we have seen and his 8000 passes to study hours to improve..........in other words why should we believe without evidence?

I will stand back now and wait for the name calling due to the questions I pose.....

2. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Nice post. I respect your reasoning and think you bring up valid questions. Beck is having another "bad" day today in camp, albeit, it seems not as bad as yesterday. I am not an NFL Talent evaluator or anything so I will leave it up to the pros. I will not fault him for throwing to his check downs. This is an intragle part of offensive game planning and check downs are as much about timing as almost any pass. Since it is a check down the QB, most certainly, has looked at 1 or 2 WR and knows the decision has to be made and the check down is almost a throw it now he should be here type of throw so it has to be automatic for QB/WR. I am also not sure either one of these QB's will look head and shoulders above the others and most certainly not before at least 2 preseason games. This is going to take some time to figure out, but I do think you have some valid questions and concerns.

3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My 2 Cents,

I agree with your opinions on Beck. I am one of the few. I understand your frustrations, but you shouldn't expect, or predict namecalling. Especially on this board. If it has happened to you in the past, I would guess that would be the exception and not the rule, and it was probably only one person.

The Beck guys have a strong opinion about Beck. Whether it's a founded opinion is up for debate, but it's their right as fans to support the guy. They will argue for Beck vehemently but I've never seen it resort to name calling. Just good fun debates. And I'm sure that's what this thread will lead to.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    alen1 and mullingan like this.
  4. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Thats why I am so glad I found this board. Very active, with passionate debates, without the other stuff that seem to be so prevelent in other boards. It is a testament to the posters on this site.

5. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I guess that it would be the exception then..........