1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grammar (Punctuation) Question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by 2k5, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm working on a paper, and I just wanted to know if this is correct grammar.

The first thing that caught my attention was a question in the opening paragraph of the preface: “…how did one of the poorest teams in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, win so many games?”

Is the use of the colon correct, and do I include the "..." before the quote since there is more text before the part that I quoted or not?

TIA :up:

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'm not an expert but I would remove the "...".

I would also rewrite the sentence so it reads "How did the Oakland Athletics (one of the poorest teams in baseball) win so many games?"

But that might just be me.

2k5 likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If you're one for big words maybe try:

So how did a financially downtrodden team like the Oakland Atheltics win so many games?

:lol: Honestly what you have written looks fine to me.

2k5 likes this.
  4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Let me put it like this: Many schools/colleges/universities have their own style guidelines on how to handle quotations but under the standardized MLA style your quotation is perfectly fine. And yes, you do include the "..." if you don't want to tamper with the original quote; something picky instructors (like, say, me) hate with a vengeance :up:

unluckyluciano and 2k5 like this.
  5. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    If it's a direct quote you can't reword it. The "..." is correct if there is text preceding.

2k5 likes this.
  6. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    :lol: I can't change what's in the quote guys. It's a quote, I didn't write it.

I suppose I should have made it clear that I was asking about that whole segment.

This is what I wrote in my paper and am asking about:

"The first thing that caught my attention was a question in the opening paragraph of the preface: '…how did one of the poorest teams in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, win so many games?'"

7. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    After the word preface :up:

8. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    I'll rephrase it: It's mighty fine, man. Write on!

2k5 likes this.
  9. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah I only read the quote then saw the sentence before after I posted :lol: It's fine what you have :up:

2k5 likes this.
  10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

You mean: What you have is fine. :up: :lol: :tongue2::shifty:

I'm so confused.

11. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Just an aside: You sure can. As long as you don't use quotationmarks and cite the proper source you can rephrase it like you see fit.

DrAstroZoom, peastri and 2k5 like this.
  12. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    So. Many. Colons.

:lol: Ok, great. Thanks for the help guys.

(and gal)

13. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I didn't know it was a quote. You can't change it.

14. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    My suggestion; PM Holli, Doc, TheRev or Bpk.

2k5 likes this.
  15. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    You don't need the "The first thing that caught my attention" because this is implied when you use the quote. Also, I'd re-phrase what you have to something more concise like:

The preface opens with the following, "how did one of the poorest teams in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, win so many games?”

but to answer your question, technically the colon is ok, but has a much harder pause than a comma. I'd just use a comma so somebody can read it "smoother." Also, you don't need the "..." but should use some sort of citation after the quote (i.e. author / page #)

Hope this helps. I've been teaching college freshman english for four years now.

2k5 likes this.
  16. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you can paraphrase i believe is the word, quotes, just have to cite it as such.....

2k5 likes this.
  17. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    If the question "how did one of the poorest teams in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, win so many games?" was a complete sentence, then you don't need the ellipses. ("...") If there was something before, for instance, "What you have to ask yourself is how did one of the poorest teams in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, win so many games?" then the ellipses are correct.

As far as the colon is concerned, either a colon or a comma before the quote is permissible. Colons are usually reserved for longer quotes, when the quote is set off in its own paragraph, but it is not incorrect to use it as you have.

2k5 likes this.
  18. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Alright. Yes, that is case, there is something preceding the quote.

19. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have more writing before this section talking about how the book caught my attention, so it makes more sense with the rest of the context, but thank you.