1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grading the Dolphins Coaches

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 10, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    At the turn, here is my take on our coaching staff's performances:

HC Tony Sparano-C/B-, two for the HC, why one may ask?

Because there are "two" Sparano's, one is innovative and very aggressive, from calling WC plays to using Pat White as a pivot man on option plays, Aggressive Sparano is a great coach.

4th and 1 conversions to Lou Polite, knows how to push buttons to squeeze production out of players and has his players prepared to do things that are rarely done in the NFL today.

"Cautious" Sparano is a somewhat mediocre coach who takes no chances, uses play action passes in the most absurd situations and calls (or allows to be called) plays that are just too passive.

Two games Saints and Patriots I, Sparano has flubbed up the 2 minute drill going into half time and that led to points for the opposition.

Dan Henning-B- he is working with a Rookie Qb with an offensive unit devoid of Wr who can play, that string of 3 games of 30+ points was incredible if one thinks about it, little to no production from the Wr position as well as the Te position, that is no small thing.

David Lee-Future Offensive Coordinator in the making, watching him on the sidelines he has a good rapport with White and Henne.

Karl Dorrel-D-C'mon man...

Dave Gugleiomo A/D-the Oline is amazingly inconsistent, when they are good we are the newer version of the Redskins "Hogs" Oline, when they are playing poorly in pass pro, they remind of the 07 unit, we ask alot of the oline with the WC and the WildPat and all the things we do, but being 1 sack behind the Bills dreadful patchwork Offensive line is not acceptable.

Gugs Value will shine if one of the athletic Olineman on the practice squad develops, Murtha, Gardner, Hartline, they have the raw skills to play in the NFL but so far they have had no opportunity, if he does his job well, we could have some great trade bait.

John Bonamego-A...ST has been seen making positive plays in kick coverage or winning a game (a good ST unit is worth 1 or 2 wins a season)

Todd Bowles-B+..we started three rookies in the Secondary and still won the game, Smith and Davis look like they will be Cb's in Miami for a long time.

We lost in Foxboro, but consider this, two rookie Cb's have never started for the Dolphins, last year the Pats literally had a track meet in our secondary in the second game against Miami and that was with Matt Cassel at Qb, this year, with Brady at Qb they were forced to mostly throw underneath stuff and were held to 27 points.

Defensive Line Coach Kacy Rogers-B++, Starks transformation into a top Dlineman is remarkable, that becomes and A+ once one of the youngsters make the pro bowl.

Paul Pasqualoni-C-Average wheels imho, imho he lacks sustained creativity and a feel for calling a good defensive game.

George Edwards+Jim Reid-D, the Linebackers have been disappointments, granted they are veterans, however there has been no improvement among the normal starters, and the backups rarely play.

James Saxon-B- any position coach can look like a genius with Ricky and Ronnie at Rb, however Lou Polite's transformation into a pro bowl quality FB is remarkable, Saxon deserves some credit for that happening.

Jeff Ireland-can't really grade Irish, I like the pickup of Lydon Murtha, but the roster has not been churned this year so Ireland outside of trading for Thigpen is his only "real" move there just is not much to grade him on this year.

One supposes you could look at the 09 draft class to grade Ireland, Smith, Davis, Hartline and Clemons all have started, but Turner being invisible hurts his grade, but outbidding 8 teams for Cameron Wake looks like his sharpest small ball move, small ball meaning non trade and largely System driven measure of under the radar talent acquistion.

On offense:

I do think that there is a set number of plays that Sparano, Henning and Lee are comfortable asking the Offense to execute, once those plays are stopped or counter moved against, the well is dry.

On defense: DC Pasqualoni is in danger of becomming this generation's Tom Olvidotti

On Special Teams-Bonamego has to continue to be creative in using Ted Ginn on returns, and Jason Allen's development into a ST player of note has to continue.

Overall, Sparano has to tighten up his GameDay decision making, the TO at the goaline against the Saints was foolish, calling 2 passing plays with 2:00 to go in the first half against the Patriots was not wise and cost us a FG.

Putting White on option plays is a sharp move, but they should find a way for White to make a couple of completions out of the Wildpat.

2. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I appreciate your write up Padre, but I think we know very little to produce any sort of grades to coaches. We don't know what went on in the meetings, what they saw on film, how they acted-and re-acted and what kind of adjustments were made.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree, the product on the field is the culmination of those meetings, their decisions and teaching methods are what produces the on the field product and is the final judgment on their decision making process.

Keep in mind, after Wake and JT (they work really well together BTW) destroyed the Bills, Sparano said "I know I don't look very smart right now in not playing Wake earlier" and then Wake went back into cold storage of maybe 4 plays a game..that is a decision that effects the on the field product and is certainly gradeable.

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    whenever Wake is on the field he gives his opposing O-Lineman a run for his money.