1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS laced Footballs coming soon?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by padre31, Feb 5, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/01/30/football-gps-sensors.html

Fun stuff...I'd miss the sideline markers though.

2. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    haha :lol: I was actually thinking during the Super Bowl about how long it would be before something like this was implemented. I wonder how long it'd be before teams started paying off ball boys to rig the balls for extra yardage? :chuckle:

3. hammerbillsfan

hammerbillsfan Suffering Bills Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    is it going to have a glow around it like the FOX puck? :shifty:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-xHwQR97Dw"]YouTube - Remember the Fox Glow Puck?[/ame]

Silverphin likes this.
  4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    maybe i should read the article, but is she going to embed the entire skin of the ball? because only embedding the points surely won't help, as it's not always the point forward..

also, this isn't going to help with knowing where the ball was in relation to when a body part was down. so unless every part of your uniform also has embedded chips, none of that's going to matter anyway

5. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    i'm assuming that they could show side by side when exactly the ball crosses the plane and when the person is down.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I think they have a way to embed across the whole skin, and the refs will be able to look frame by fram to match the exact moment the ball crossed with a frame, allowing them to see if the runner was down at that time or still up.