Gotham TV Series

128 replies

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew MemberOP
Sep 25, 2013, 10:41 AM

FOX has won the bidding for a "Gotham" TV series that centers around the origin of James Gordon's rise in the Gotham City PD. There will be no Batman in the series as it will take place before Batman however the article mentions famous Gotham villains so perhaps we'll see a few, of course they will probably be limited and second tier characters (I don't think we'll see seeing The Joker, Two Face, Riddler, Catwoman, Penguin etc. but who knows right now).

Either way this is kind of exciting news as this series has been rumored forever. Hopefully it's done well and right. I'm looking forward to it.

Here's the article:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/commissioner-gordon-fox-tv-series-drama/

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2013, 10:51 AM

I'm all in.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 25, 2013, 10:55 AM

"Fin D wrote:

I'm all in.

Agreed. I think it has a lot of potential to be really good especially if they can bring in some interesting villains.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2013, 11:01 AM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

Agreed. I think it has a lot of potential to be really good especially if they can bring in some interesting villains.

Yeah. I think it would be great if they made it about villain origins and let them drive the show.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 25, 2013, 11:13 AM

"Fin D wrote:

Yeah. I think it would be great if they made it about villain origins and let them drive the show.

I just hope it's not a "villain of the week" type show like Arrow is.

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Sep 27, 2013, 12:28 AM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

I just hope it's not a "villain of the week" type show like Arrow is.

Shouldn't use that term so loosely. Its reserved for shows that have no season arcs or no series long plots which Arrow does have. Season 1 laid a lot of groundwork for what's coming.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2013, 01:15 AM

No batman, no care. I just don't see what the point of the show would be without Batman. CSI Gotham?

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 27, 2013, 07:14 AM

"VanDolPhan wrote:

Shouldn't use that term so loosely. Its reserved for shows that have no season arcs or no series long plots which Arrow does have. Season 1 laid a lot of groundwork for what's coming.

Yeah but it still had a new villain almost each week. I just couldn't get into Arrow. I think I watched maybe 8 or 9 episodes and was out. Not that I thought it was bad, it just didn't hold my interest.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 27, 2013, 07:15 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

No batman, no care. I just don't see what the point of the show would be without Batman. CSI Gotham?

That's kind of how I feel about Agents of Shield, but I'm still going to give it a try. I think this show has more potential mainly because of the Gordon character and cameos by some of Batman's classic villains.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Jan 13, 2014, 03:24 PM

Some news on this series, a young Bruce Wayne will be a character on the show. Bruce will be around 12 years old at the start of the series. Also Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman will also be on various episodes.

Production is set to begin around February.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Feb 8, 2014, 09:53 PM

Ben McKenzie from Southland and The OC has been cast as James Gordon. He also did the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the DC cartoon movie Batman Year One.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 8, 2014, 10:28 PM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

Some news on this series, a young Bruce Wayne will be a character on the show. Bruce will be around 12 years old at the start of the series. Also Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman will also be on various episodes.

Production is set to begin around February.

That will make this series more interesting, but it will belie the traditional mythology that the supervillains came about as an effect of the existence of a Batman.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 8, 2014, 10:32 PM

As an aside; I don't even know why Fox keeps adding shows in the scifi/fantasy genre, only to eventually bury them on Friday nights and effectively killing them.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it's by design; the corporation controlling, and thus stifling at will anything with utopian ideals.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Feb 8, 2014, 10:36 PM

"NaboCane wrote:

That will make this series more interesting, but it will belie the traditional mythology that the supervillains came about as an effect of the existence of a Batman.

That view is a fairly recent interpretation, IIRC.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 8, 2014, 10:44 PM

"Desides wrote:

That view is a fairly recent interpretation, IIRC.

It was brought up by Gordon at the end of the first Bale vehicle, but it's a principle born in the 1930s Batman comics.

Bruce's parents were killed by a street thug, and at first that's who he fought as the Batman. Then the supervillains started popping up.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 11, 2014, 05:51 PM
PhinsRDbestPhinsRDbestForum Veteran
Feb 11, 2014, 11:17 PM

Look like Essen won't be a love interest, sorta one of the defining events in Gordon's history is the Essen affair.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Feb 12, 2014, 07:17 AM

"PhinsRDbest wrote:

Look like Essen won't be a love interest, sorta one of the defining events in Gordon's history is the Essen affair.

Why would you think that?

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 12, 2014, 01:24 PM
PhinsRDbestPhinsRDbestForum Veteran
Feb 12, 2014, 02:13 PM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

Why would you think that?

Well I'm guessing, but she is playing his superior and by the pictures she looks older. Searched but can't find her age and the girl playing his wife looks much more hotter. Maybe with good writing they can force it. I just wonder if they are gonna avoid it, sorta like Antman looks to avoid the wife beating thing or Ironman with the alcohol.

PhinsRDbestPhinsRDbestForum Veteran
Feb 12, 2014, 02:14 PM

"NaboCane wrote:

http://tvline.com/2014/02/12/gotham-tv-show-fox-cast-donal-logue-detective-harvey-bullock/

Donal Logue (SOA) joins the cast.

Perfect casting for Bullock

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Feb 12, 2014, 04:12 PM

"PhinsRDbest wrote:

Well I'm guessing, but she is playing his superior and by the pictures she looks older. Searched but can't find her age and the girl playing his wife looks much more hotter. Maybe with good writing they can force it. I just wonder if they are gonna avoid it, sorta like Antman looks to avoid the wife beating thing or Ironman with the alcohol.

I think we'll see the affair, especially it being a TV show and needing to add more storylines and content they could really drag the affair out for a whole season if they wanted too.

The main reason why Marvel avoided those things with Iron Man and Ant Man is because they wanted to make the movies more family friendly plus in movies you're only given a limited amount of time to do certain things. DC has no problems being "more adult" so to speak.

PhinsRDbestPhinsRDbestForum Veteran
Feb 12, 2014, 04:24 PM

Character's I want in the cast: Crispus Allen, Commissioner Loeb, Detective Flass, Carmine Falcone, Chief O'Hara, SWAT leader Branden, Leslie Thompkins, Joe Chill, Aunt Harriet

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Feb 19, 2014, 11:07 AM

Jada Pinkett Smith has been cast as mobster Fish Mooney.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Mar 4, 2014, 03:18 PM