1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Piece on the New LBs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/new-miami-dolphins-linebackers-get-strong-reviews-/nWyfG/

Harbaugh and Pagano on Ellerbe:

Raiders Bruce Allen
    Can't wait to see some really active LB's ... I'd be happy with a poor man's Bowman/Willis type combo.

Love that both can be 3 down LBs

I know there is criticism over what Miami has done here. But, I think the youth; the enthusiasm and work ethic; the aggressiveness they bring; the fact that they will likely feed off each other; the potential - it is all a great upgrade. Can't wait to see them play.

Justright, DPlus47, Alex13 and 7 others like this.
  2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I can't wait to see these guys play. I think this LB group is going to be a big pleasant surprise. Good stuff. Thanks.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im excited that we have players that fly to the ball again. Players who can blitz and then also make plays in the passing game. With misi and ellerbe theres also an added toughness that cant be understated that I just dont think Burnett and Dansby brought to the table...which isnt to say they were bad players just that with Ellerbe here, specifically on passing downs, I think we will notice some receivers getting more alligator arms.

DPlus47 and Da 'Fins like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    We got the guys up front to let the dread heads run around like a bunch of crazed dogs..

Da 'Fins, MrClean and Sceeto like this.
  5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I like the dreads flying from under their helmets, like modern day Samsons.

6. Perfectville_USA

Perfectville_USA Mr Perfect

Dec 27, 2012
    Syracuse NY
    I love team speed, we got much faster this offseason. Both can fly to the ball.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Precisely why Jarvis Jones will be the 1st round pick - to complete the trio of dread-locked LBs. :shifty:

8. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I am hoping we see some nastiness from our LBs in the Balt. mode. I don't remember when we had a group of LBs that were feared, from a physical standpoint. That's the first thing I thought of when we signed Ellerbe.
    We have had some really good LB is the past, but very few had the reputation of the Balt. group. Brian Cox might be the last one on our side.

9. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Obviously you missed the Zach Attack of nearly 15 years! The Zach/Seau duo was my favorite ever, by far!

10. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i sure hope they come to senses though, like davone bess and chris clemons did and cut them off before the season starts....it just doesn´t look right on a football player....

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007

Guys come on guys, where is the respect for my skills at giving nicknames? Lol

" the Dread Heads"..If we select Jones, I can see the poster already..

12. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There's gotta be a way to incorporate Judge Dredd into that somehow!!!

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Wrong. It looks very cool.

14. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
  15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's pretty darn slow (especially for a campus workout) for someone Jones' size.

For comparison (to show how much better pro day times can be), Ogletree ran a 4.70 at the combine (much slower than I would have anticipated for him), but improved to 4.53 at the pro day.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Scouts have known for a while that Jarvis Jones isn't going to run particularly well, not a workout guy.

But he's a fluid, quick twitch player. He's still worthy of the #12 pick but all this may have done is assure that he will get there.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think it was pretty common knowledge that Jones was going to workout poorly, and subsequently, that's triggered a lot of talk about him slipping. But, it's hard to argue with 44 TFL's and 28 sacks the past two seasons. In the SEC. Sign me up. Dion Jordan blew the doors off his workout at the Combine, yet in 3.5 years worth of playing, his production is about half of what Jones' is in two years. Some guys are just better football players than athletes.

Fin D and Da 'Fins like this.
  18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think this is a pretty interesting comment and warrants more research. I've only had a chance to watch Ellerbe in a game or two on NFL Rewind, but it appears that the Ravens were quite willing to have him get lined up against a wide receiver in the slot. Looking over the coverage stats on PFF has more than half of the receptions against him coming from receivers rather than backs and tight ends.

Da 'Fins and DPlus47 like this.
  19. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I really like Ogletree as a player. I know he's had some off the field issues, but don't know all the details. It will probably cause him to drop some and he could be very good value if that happens.

20. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Shades of a poor man's Adalius Thomas from the early 2000s in terms of coverage responsibilities it sounds like.

21. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You can see him on tape, he's not slow. This is Terell Suggs version 2.

22. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It would seem to me that the problem for Jones (on an apparently fast track) - who typically appears to be slotted for a 4-3 OLB - would be coverage versatility. Pass rushing and tackling is clearly there but can he cover? I only saw him in a few games and didn't pay attention to his coverage skills (NFL.Com write up wonders about his ability in the open field). As a pass-rusher (3rd down, down DE or 2 point stance in 3-4 set up) looks good. Maybe, with some added muscle, he's really better suited as a Cam Wake type position?

23. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    And Suggs slipped to 10th. Maybe Jones will fall that far (or further, like to 12 or more).