1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good news for us if we want to draft a WR

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Apr 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I know stuff like this comes out every year in an attempt to drop a players value, most of the time it isn't true but you never know. I hope its true. anyway, here's a copy of what i just read at PFT.

If we got one of them in the 2nd round, i would wet my pants! lol

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  2. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I bet one goes in the first round. I have a hard time believing one of them wouldn't. Its possible but i'm not sure i would be as certain as the reporter.

I too would be happy to take anyone of them with our second round pick. I'd much rather go DE, LB or CB with preferrably our first two picks. Take a wideout with our third pick. Pick 2b.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Its an interesting debate. Will last years dearth of WRs early prove to be a trend, or a one time deal?

I mean, we know Crabtree will go early, and likely Maclin as well, but what happens after that? Will needy teams (and there are plenty) bite, or will they hold off. One thing I havent heard is how some of these recievers compare to guys like Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, James Hardy etc. Are Nicks and Britt considered better prospects? Worse? About the same?

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The bust factor with first round Wr could be high enough that the money they have to paid is dissuading fringe first round picks from being taken?

Someone will bite on Harvin in Rd 1, he has too much talent for 32 teams to pass on him IMO.

5. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree. After seeing what Chris Johnson did to an otherwise lackluster offense, teams (like Minnesota and Baltimore?) are going to be chomping at the bit to get him. His explosiveness will instantly upgrade offenses. Nicks and Britt are far more typical for the position, and thus, more likely to be overlooked.

6. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    The Titans are looking for a weapons at WR. One of those guys will be selected and my hunch is Nicks. His build and speed are typical of the WR that both Collins and Young are accustomed to throwing to, which can be a big thing. I think if Britt slides to us at 42 there's no question the Fins have to snap him up, even at the expense of missing on a guy like Alphonso Smith.

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Out of the (generally) consensus top five receivers (Crabtree, Maclin, Heyward-Bey, Nicks & Harvin), I think it's safe to say Crabtree and Maclin won't make it out of the top 15. Which leaves Heyward-Bey, Nicks & Harvin. Now, two things...

1) That in and of itself already creates a completely different draft situation from last year (when no WR was selected in the first round).

2) The thing I've noticed is depending on what mock (or analyst) you're reading, is there's no real consensus on who is #3, #4 & #5 in that group. Opinions vary. Not to mention, different teams may have a different need in the type of receiver they might need or prefer. Harvin might be a better fit in Indy for example, whereas Heyward-Bey might be a better fit in Baltimore.

I think it's very possible Harvin and Heyward-Bey (along with Britt) could all fall to round #2 on draft day. But, I have a hard time believing Nicks will. If we don't take him at #25, then I could see Baltimore, Tennessee and the Giants all targeting him. Britt is a bit of an X-factor IMO. Someone could reach for him over all three, or he could fall well into round #2. Hard to say.

The guy I'm starting to give a lot of thought to is Robiskie. He might be every bit as good as 3-4 of the guys being mentioned, maybe even better. And, most mocks have him falling into the late second or third round. He might be a steal at that point. If we don't take Nicks at #25, I could see us targeting a guy like Robiskie with our second 2nd round pick.

gafinfan likes this.
  8. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i think the Giants will go after a big name FA WR instead of drafting one in round one. I think they'll either have Braylon Edwards or Anquan Boldin.

PFT
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-9-61/Easter-weekend-Mailbag.html

9. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    After reading the article in the members forum (im telling you folks, 20 bucks for a year is worth ALL THAT STUFF that comes in the premium forums) I want no part of Percy.

10. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    can you throw some crumbs to the dogs?

11. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    There are plenty of ways to WIN the membership.
    Keep your ears open...wait, what?

12. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    No way at all that all 3 go out of round one. Im not even sure if 2 will go out of round one. But at the same time i wouldnt be surprised if one did go in the 2nd round.

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I could see a scenario that would drop those guys into the early second, we all watched with suprise when Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly slipped.

I see Crabtree at worst going #9 to Jax.

I could see Maclin falling to the late first round.

Heyward-Bey the same although I dont think he makes it past Baltimore.

I also think some teams may have Britt ranked higher than Nicks.

14. vabchbirdlover

vabchbirdlover New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Virginia beach, VA
    Percy Harvin - off the field issues aside, no way does he slip to the 2nd

round. The guy is too versitile. Truely believe the G-men snag him with

their 1st pick.

15. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    No offense, but do you really think The Giants are gonna take a chance on a guy who's got character issues after what they just went through with Plaxico? Really??? :huh:

It's been reported that many teams won't take him unless he slides well out of round one on draft day. And, some teams (Cowboys were one IIRC) that have taken him off their draft boards altogether. And, they don't even have a pick until #51!

16. vabchbirdlover

Apr 14, 2009
    Virginia beach, VA
    I hear what you're saying, but given that the NFL is basically a business and teams will attempt to put the best product on the field regardless of past character issues. Bottom line, teams will turn a blind eye toward any past problems that Harvin has had. Not saying i would draft him in the 1st round and this is coming from a person who lives in the area that has produced such
    players with dubious track records such as Plaxico, michael Vick, Marcus Vick, and Deangelo Hall, but what the HAY - just my opinion.

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's not entirely true. If it were, Moss never would have made it to Minnesota, nor would he have ever been traded from there.

I'm sure there have been plenty of draft picks who have slipped because of past character issues.

18. vabchbirdlover

Apr 14, 2009
    Virginia beach, VA
    Not too sure about the Randy Moss analogy, dude was drafted in the 1st, 21th overall pick by Minnesota, even though i believe he popped positive in college for doing some herb, and despite his preceived character flaws, he has turned out pretty well, doncha think.

19. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i would be stunned if we choose a WR in rounds 1 or 2 .... i look for Tate in rd 3 or Knox / Byrd later on day 2 or one of the other small school WRs that we have looked at.