Good Deal? Bad Deal? Vote!

28 replies

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum VeteranOP
Mar 5, 2010, 09:14 PM

So, this is one of our biggest FA signings in a while. So...was it a good deal or not?? Now this is based on what you've seen with Arizona. I sure remember him scoring the game winning TD in the playoffs against the Packers. And we now have a player with Super Bowl experience, and actually did something, unlike Gibril.

Anyone whose seen more of him should elaborate to us though.

We know what the terms of the deal was, seems pretty fair overall. Here's some perspective- The Jets gave Bartetta Scott the same amount of guaranteed money last year, and Scott is making just a little bit less than Dansby. Dansby is way better.

And, any math people, how does this compare to the combined contracts of Porter, Wilson and Ayodele???

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

FIFinsFan_In_IraqNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:16 PM

Im no math genoius, but imm almost positive as far as the cap hit each yr, it saves us right around 1-2 mil/yr.

AbideN703AbideN703New Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:16 PM

Not sure how it compares to other players but when the rest of the division is either making moves or trying to make moves, you have to step your ass up and get something done.

I'm glad the Phins grew a sack and pulled it off

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 09:16 PM

great deal. we just got better. he said it himself he wants to be legendary. mike nolan will get the most out of him and wake.......now iam anxciously awaiting anymore signings and the draft!!!

GREAT Signing

FLflynryan151New Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:18 PM

Great doesn't even give this deal the props it deserves!!! :hi5:

HUhuck1974New Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:19 PM

Not sure that it is possible to determine what a good deal is this year.

.

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 09:29 PM

He was the 21st ranked Linebacker in the 2009 regular season. With Mike Nolan I'm expecting him to crack the top 15, and hoping he cracks the top 10! Far better than what we had before.

This is exciting! I forgot what it feels like to actually make a splash in Free Agency. I hope we do something else.

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

Jimmy JamesJimmy JamesNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:29 PM

I'd call it a solid deal with potential to go down as a great one if he plays as well as he seems to be capable of playing.

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 09:31 PM

this contract will be peanuts after 2 seasons.

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Mar 5, 2010, 09:38 PM

Its an uncapped year!!! It aint my money. I don't care how much these guys make.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 09:40 PM

"Sethdaddy8 wrote:

this contract will be peanuts after 2 seasons.

No offense SD, but of 9mil/year is what you call peanuts, can I have one or two please? :wink2:

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

Jimmy JamesJimmy JamesNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:40 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

Its an uncapped year!!! It aint my money. I don't care how much these guys make.

True, but there is still only a limited amount of money the team will be able to spend. I can't say whether or not the team will flirt with that amount, but I'd hate to think somebody won't be on the team because there isn't enough money.

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Mar 5, 2010, 09:46 PM

"Jimmy James wrote:

True, but there is still only a limited amount of money the team will be able to spend. I can't say whether or not the team will flirt with that amount, but I'd hate to think somebody won't be on the team because there isn't enough money.

True, but we don't know what Ross's budget is. Besides, our ILBs sucked so bad last year, the concept of "overpaying" for a quality ILB is meaningless.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

cobrajetcobrajetNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:52 PM

Dansby is a great talent to have on your team but there is so much defensive talent in the draft this year it is staggering. I hope this signing doesn't make the "Tuna Team" blind to what else is out there. What a tremendous opportunity this draft presents to build a solid defense with young talent.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:54 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

True, but we don't know what Ross's budget is. Besides, our ILBs sucked so bad last year, the concept of "overpaying" for a quality ILB is meaningless.

now we need a relentless pass rusher who disrupts every play
tired of the we get there sometimes bs
nolan will want constant pressure
exactly as the 3-4 should be

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 09:56 PM

Well if I'm correct so far we're spending less than we did last year? We cleared some $$$ with the 3 big releases today.

And we're saving money by putting the tender on Fasano and Brown who will be staying. That's the only reason they put the tender on him, it'll save them money and Ronnie knows this.

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 09:58 PM

Seeing how he wanted 30 million garunteed but we gave him 22 I think that is a great deal hopfully A. Bryant is our next pick up

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 10:00 PM

"#1dolphinsfan wrote:

Seeing how he wanted 30 million garunteed but we gave him 22 I think that is a great deal hopfully A. Bryant is our next pick up

Good post, I didn't know he wanted 30. I think this means that he wants to play for Miami, and he wants to be the best Linebacker in the game.

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

BLbluehazeNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 10:06 PM

I didn't think they would pay big money for Dansby, Parcells has been about building through the draft and he certainly has built some good teams in the past. There must be alot of pressure to win now to see a signing like this. I would be really surprised at this point if we don't get Rolle as well. Was initially thinking the opposite, keep building through the draft but if they are going to spend the money then it only makes sense for them to get Rolle as well.

Edit: Guess Rolle is out so seems like Otogwe or Sharper now if they take Sharper then obviously we are back to the old build throuh the draft plan, I guess Dansby is a young enough piece to the puzzle if they have their eyes on someone in the draft. Should be interesting next couple of days.

Mar 5, 2010, 10:19 PM

Great deal. You have to spend money sometimes to get playmakers, and we got a big one tonight.

SHShamboubouNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 10:55 PM

If the guy can cover a freaking tight end it was a great deal. If he can't were stuck with nothing better than we have. Hopefully having somebody at his caliber next to Crowder will help him look better. Should be interesting, who even know's what Mike Nolan's Defense is going to look like next year. I just hope we arn't going to play WR's 15 yards off the ball like we did all year this year. Lets blitz and get some press coverage and start creating some turnovers.

I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

-Herb Brooks-

miamironmiamironForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2010, 10:55 PM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Great deal. You have to spend money sometimes to get playmakers, and we got a big one tonight.

I'm glad we got Dansby but...

Your playmaker had 1 sack,1 interception,1 forced fumble last season...Even Y.Bell had a better statistical season than Dansby with 114 tackles(more than Dansby)1.5 sacks,0 forced fumbles,3 interceptions

Every statistical category dropped from his 2008 season versus his 2009 season including less tackles,sacks,interceptions,forced fumbles
DO LESS GET MORE MONEY

Put things in perspective...
Zach Thomas averaged 142 tackles a season for 11 years...Dansby averages 50 less tackles a season for his
entire 6 year career

Dansby is an upgrade over Crowder and Akin but he is no super star...kinda like 2 am at the local dive after 12 drinks and even the fat ugly ones start looking fine

surferosasurferosaNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 10:57 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

Its an uncapped year!!! It aint my money.

:hi5:

Mar 5, 2010, 11:02 PM

"miamiron wrote:

I'm glad we got Dansby but...

Your playmaker had 1 sack,1 interception,1 forced fumble last season...Even Y.Bell had a better statistical season than Dansby with 114 tackles(more than Dansby)1.5 sacks,0 forced fumbles,3 interceptions

Every statistical category dropped from his 2008 season versus his 2009 season including less tackles,sacks,interceptions,forced fumbles
DO LESS GET MORE MONEY

Put things in perspective...
Zach Thomas averaged 142 tackles a season for 11 years...Dansby averages 50 less tackles a season for his
entire 6 year career

Dansby is an upgrade over Crowder and Akin but he is no super star...kinda like 2 am at the local dive after 12 drinks and even the fat ugly ones start looking fine

Also scored the game winning TD in a playoff game last year. Not to mention, what he's done the previous years.

Stats can be misleading too. Dansby is a force that makes the players around him better.

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Mar 5, 2010, 11:28 PM

"miamiron wrote:

I'm glad we got Dansby but...

Your playmaker had 1 sack,1 interception,1 forced fumble last season...Even Y.Bell had a better statistical season than Dansby with 114 tackles(more than Dansby)1.5 sacks,0 forced fumbles,3 interceptions

Every statistical category dropped from his 2008 season versus his 2009 season including less tackles,sacks,interceptions,forced fumbles
DO LESS GET MORE MONEY

Put things in perspective...
Zach Thomas averaged 142 tackles a season for 11 years...Dansby averages 50 less tackles a season for his
entire 6 year career

Dansby is an upgrade over Crowder and Akin but he is no super star...kinda like 2 am at the local dive after 12 drinks and even the fat ugly ones start looking fine

There is another way to look at this. Bell wouldn't have the totals if our LB's could tackle and cover.
Also Dansby had a far better supporting cast.
Oh and If you are still there at 2AM people are looking at you the same way.