1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Article on Mike McCoy

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KB21, Jan 19, 2012.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...dapt-makes-mccoy-chudzinski-the-future-of-nfl

I think they are right. IMO, the days where the system means more than the players in it are ending, and we are going to see a paradigm shift in the NFL. What's going to happen is that there will be a lot of younger, fresher minds like a Mike McCoy that will be getting more and more looks for head jobs, and I think you are going to see an opening for some of the college spread guys in the NFL.

2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Interesting. Good read. Thanks for sharing that man!

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Paul Castronovo is reporting that McCoy will be named the HC tomorrow

He of the Paul and Young Ron show

SICK and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Yeah, looks like it will be McCoy.

5. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    And then we all watch the Patriots play...

But in all seriousness the system will only make a difference if you totally commit to it and get players tailored to the system.

6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The Patriots are essentially the definition of a team that does not have a rigid system. They are constantly changing and adapting what they do.

Ophinerated and smahtaz like this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There are no magic systems or savior coaches, you have talented players who perform, or you are wasting your time.

smahtaz likes this.
  8. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It still bothers me that he was Dan Henning's lackey and that Denver ran one of the most conservative offenses I have ever seen. Whether that John Fox being his usual moronic self or Tebow sucking or some combination of the two I don't know.
    I dont want any trace of that ******ed 1960s conservative bull**** philosophy on this team offensively. We have had enough of that the past 4 years.

9. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Why did the Dolphins Brass guy in the video on the side of this link talk about Pete Carmichael when we haven't heard anything mentioned about him yet?????????

I would love to get him although it doesn't look likely. Weird it was posted today too.

EDIT: The link (and article) was up to date, the video on the side wasn't. I believe it took place last week.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    In what sense? Offensively? Not really.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  11. uab_phin

uab_phin New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    In all fairness Mike McCarthy got his start under Marty Schottenheimer.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Foxy believes in the stat of 30 or more rushes to 20 or less passes and you win 90% of the time.

13. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    They adapt their "game plan" not their system.

The Patriots very much have a system offense.

14. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Sorry but I can't let this go:

McCoy very well might have tailored the offense around Tebow's skill set and even got the most he possibly could out of him. But don't give me this **** about a winning streak and ending up in the playoffs because of a crappy division meaning that Tebow was somehow playing well and therefore not being a "curiosity". Matt Moore is currently less of a curiosity than Tebow.

I don't know what that says about McCoy. But I'm inclined to give him on incomplete since he wasn't given a lot of time with him. And I agree with the rest of the article.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    A system that has constantly adapted over the years.

This Patriot offense is much different than the one with Corey Dillon

16. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I remember an interview with Coach Shula a few years back and he said it was about tailoring the system to the players strength. He referred to when Miami had Csonka it was to pound the ball, but when they drafted Marino it was "attack."

imo...that was Jimmy Johnson's downfall in Miami. He tried to make Miami's offense mimic the Cowboys. Unfortunately, we didn't have a RB comparable to Smith or a WR comparable to crackhead, I mean Irvin. It would have been nice to see how far Miami would have gone had he let Marino audible and throw the ball given the heck of a good job he did with the defense.

17. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    That was 5 years ago and they still passed the ball more than they ran the ball back then. They don't change their "system" in season though like other teams and play to their players strengths. They have their system and draft players that fit their system. Look at the type of WRs they have on their team and the type they draft.

I do think that they are innovators on offense though and polarize their offense even more when something is working. In the 2006 draft, they took two tweener TE's Garrett Mills in the 4th round and David Thomas in the 3rd round. It was considered a bizarre move to take two tweener TE's back to back in the early to middle rounds back then, but I remember watching that draft and wondering what they had up their sleeves. It could have been they were trying to implement what they now have in Gronkowski and Hernandez back then.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Which is why he's such a godawful coach.

19. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Didn't Hernandez lead the team in rushing last week?

20. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I think you're forgetting last year when they traded Moss and changed their entire offense mid-season to the two tight end look we see so much from then now and were even more successful after that. People like to lob the term system QB at Brady in hopes of diminishing what he's accomplished in the NFL. The fact is he's a hall of fame QB and he wouldn't have gotten there if the Patriots had not continued to change their system to adapt to the players they have. The Patriots are without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, at getting the most out of the talent they have. If you believe otherwise, please take off the aqua and orange glasses.

Ophinerated and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  21. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    If you read my post, I pointed out the fact that the Patriots drafted two Tight Ends early on in the 2006 NFL Draft. They could have had the idea to implement that formation/wrinkle into their offense way back then. There is a difference between changing game plans and changing systems. The have always been a pass first spread offense with a multitude of WR reads and different route combinations. They like to have a combination of deep long developing routes, with short quick passing routes. Most of the time their QB is in the shotgun and they value pass blocking more than run blocking in their OL. The majority of their runs are draws. This hasn't changed in ages regardless of if TEs or WRs are running the routes. This is what I am talking about when I call them a "system." Yes, their game plan changes and they add new wrinkles to their offense, but their syste, has stayed the same. You don't see them running the I-formation, off-set I, or Brady taking all of his snaps under center.