1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gibril Wilson

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SeanP, Nov 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Just curious if anyone watched his play a bit more closely the last couple games (and more specifically the game against Tampa). I don't think I saw any blown tackles by him, or any blown plays for that matter. I do remember seeing him get a nice tip on a pass that was going deep too.

From what I've been seeing it looks like he's starting to come into his own and get into a passable groove. Anyone else watching him a bit more closely? I'm curious to see if our Safety situation is looking a bit better.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Wilson has been one of our better defenders. He has played real well against the run IMO.

3. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    Our secondary is starting to gel a lot more. They are playing pretty darn good with two rookie corners.

Xeticus likes this.
  4. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Wilson played a great game yesterday.

5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Wilson has played better, but the secondary, particularly the safeties, continue to allow the TE to run free and kill us. Yesterday it was Kellen Winslow's turn to go over 100 yards on us. That's more on Yeremiah Bell and the linebackers at this point, but some of it is on Wilson as well.

He has been much better tackling. The benching probably helped. Chris Clemons continues to look good as well.

On the bright side, Carolina doesn't really use a TE, so we should be better there.

dolfan7171 and Miguel like this.
  6. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I am starting to think the weak link in pass coverage is Bell. He is the one that is "mostly" responsible for TE coverages and he is hardly ever in position to make the play.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I am wondering if the answer is Wilson at SS and Clemons at FS?

8. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Wilson has looked good the last few weeks. Seems to really be coming into his own with Clemons in the picture to take snaps as well.

9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yes wilson has had at least three weeks where he's come into his own and played like the guy who played for the giants and raiders. i think the communication problems in the secondary have been fixed. considering we had the rooks and new players that was to be expected

10. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Good, glad to see I didn't miss anything in watching these last few games. Here's to seeing them play at a much higher level this year, and into the next.

It would be nice if we could run with what we've got at the Safety position (as we know CB will be fine), and use the draft/FA on the LB/WR positions.

11. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I can say that i honestly see some improvement in our secondary. That being said, i think their consistency level is still a big issue.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree with you there. Consistency is something this team needs if we are to move to the next level.

13. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    By safeties you mean Yeremiah Bell...

Skeet84 likes this.
  14. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I remeber a thread months ago where I got abused by some people who thought Bell was a top 5-10 safety in the league...I disagreed then, and I disagree now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I agree with you then and I agree with you now.... :pointlol:

16. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Few understand the complexities of a new guy coming into the secondary. Wilson had to adapt to a new system, a "new" position, a rookie behind him, and a new guy, in JT, in front of him. They all have to work together.

It does take time, as we are now seeing. Wilson is a player.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think it's mostly Yeremiah Bell and the inside linebackers. I don't know what's going on but one of the ILB's are required to have hook coverage, right down the seam, and it seems like they are often out of position. To add, Bell just doesn't look the same. We saw it in the Saints game, where we had Yeremiah Bell coming up to read the run and then drop back into a two deep set - basically from a single high to two deep - and he got screwed over on the Shockey play. Channing Crowder got looked off by Brees to the weak sideline - which I still can't figure out why he shifted over there when we already had Porter on the flats - and that left a huge opening down the middle, which simultaneously froze up Bell and he was left to decide to either play deep or get Shockey.

As for Wilson, he's been playing really well since the Saints game IMO. I think he's come on to the Quarters coverage quicker than Bell. However, I've also noticed that at times, Bell has more responsibilities than Wilson, as he's required to walk up to be part of the 8 man box and then if it's a pass, he's expected to quickly drop and make plays in the pass game.