1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giants extend Coughlin thru 2014

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by finyank13, Jun 6, 2012.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Good to see, one of the best in the game, if not THE best....

2. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Good move.

Of course should the Giants not win the SB this year, the NY media will be calling for his head for some reason or another. Which in of itself is ridiculous IMO.

3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Actually the NY media has really defended Coughlin for the most part. Hes one of the more well liked sports figures in NY. Giants fans realize he was a Parcells staff member on the 86 NYG and now hes brought them two more chips. There was a time, roughly a year before the first victory over the Pats, where there was some speculation he may get canned because he was in the final year of his deal and had not been offered an extension by the NYG front office but of course that became a non issue. I really didnt read or hear many columnists or radio hosts calling for his head, certainly no on reputable and thats usually where the poopstorm begins.

finyank13 likes this.
  4. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    They were getting ready to fire him in the middle of last season a week or two before they made their run.

5. KevboFinsFan

KevboFinsFan Great Odin's Raven!

I think sports media, as most media is these days, is obsessed with negativity and it's ability to inspire ratings far more effectively than anything positive. Instead of saying "This guy has done good in the past, let's stick behind him until he proves he's no longer capable", they say "It doesn't matter what he did before, it's time to move on because he's not doing it anymore". The blatant ignorance in this sort of opinionated reporting is a major reason why I tend to avoid most sports media outlets.

All that aside, I think it's safe to say Tom Coughlin is one of the finest HCs in the game today, and that his last season with the Giants should also end up being his last season as an HC in the NFL. It's always nice to see the great ones rewarded for their efforts.

6. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    He invented the hot seat!

7. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Good. He deserves it. He is an awesome coach. I gained respect of him after the GB game and first superbowl.