1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gesicki

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, May 27, 2021.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

Silverphin and Two Tacos like this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I really hope he's not the odd man out this year/next year due to salary cap. He's literally the only healthy, reliable receiver on our roster that can catch contested balls.

Puka-head likes this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Dolphins have enough cap space to sign everyone they want this year and still sign a high priced free agent or two.

KeyFin likes this.
  4. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    He really broke through last year and you can tell he's a very competitive player. As in, he wants it ALL. He's head and shoulders the most talented amongst our Tight End group and like I said, last year was really a breakout year for him. I really really don't want us to screw this up by letting him walk. I like Hunter Long, I like Smythe, but Gesicki is and should be the TE1 on this team. He should be a consistent go to option for Tua, there's just too much talent there for us to ignore. You could tell he was a little pissed about the Hunter Long selection. I expect him to be on top of his game this upcoming season.

resnor and Sceeto like this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It seems that there are a lot of moving parts. There have been no rumors of the team trying to do an extension at all so far, so we'll see how much he's used in the new offense, how well he plays, how healthy he can stay, and how much he and his agent will look for next Spring. Given the amount of cap space we'll have free, I have to think that the team is in wait and see mode, and his return is up in the air.

KeyFin likes this.
  6. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Once again, the team has waited too long to get a deal done, and will need to pay more than if they had signed him a year early OR they let him walk. Gesicki has no history of being injured and has been productive, so what more does he need to prove in 2021? That he can block? That's never gonna be a real part of his game.

On the other hand, combined with Hunter Long (who can be a better blocker with some work and is already a decent pass catcher) that gives us a really nice TE combo (on paper anyway).

resnor and KeyFin like this.
  7. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Geseiki is a slot reciever with a TE designation because he takes a few snaps a game inline. His contract should be negotiated as if he were a slot receiver.

Last year he had the highest tight end snap % in the slot in the entire league.
    -68% of his snaps were spread out as a slot receiver.
    -He only played 70% of offensive snaps
    -so He was lined up inline on roughly only 20% of our offensive snaps.
    -On goaline formations last season he was either spread out or not on the field.

Unlike last year, we are very deep at wide reciever and it will be tougher for Geseiki to repeat his pure volume of slot snaps. I also don’t see them suddenly increasing his inline snaps too much.

I see him trending closer to being on the field for 50% of offensive snaps... rather then the 70% he was last year.

Great hands and good contested catcher downfield are his strengths. His YAC is awful and his broken tackle rate is historically bad. I believe he has been credited with 1 broken tackle in 3 years.

He is a very mixed bag. But he is far from a complete ‘Tight End’ like the ones we are seeing getting paid. I’d be nervous to pay him too if I were brass.

djphinfan and resnor like this.
  8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I think snap % is really important. You really can't break the bank for an offensive player who's on the field for such a small% of the offensive plays.

9. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Exactly. He is more of a package guy.

Last year he was playing the slot in 3 wide packages. With Wilson and Hurns opting out... There was no competition for those snaps.

With the additions of Waddle and Fuller, the return of Wilson and Bowden showing a little something late last year. Those 3 wide slot snaps he was defaulted last season will be hotly contested.

resnor likes this.
  10. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    I knew he wasn’t Derrick Henry with the ball in his hands, but that’s pathetic. He should at least be able break away from DBs once in a while, for crying out loud.

resnor likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He’s a role player moving forward because of how severe of a one dimensional player he is, big receiver here.

Excellent hands, the best catch radius in football, but does not separate from coverage Well at all, doesn’t offer anything in Yac.

Poor route runner because of how in-precise his body moves when trying to make cuts.

Tua needs to learn that catch radius and use his innately accurate traits to utilize this weapon.

firedan likes this.
  12. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Cashvillesent, KeyFin and Sceeto like this.