1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gasoline......the brakes on our Economy

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by 2socks, May 30, 2009.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    What's going on with gasoline?
    Why is the price of gasoline rising again???

Last time the price of gas skyrocketed it stopped our economy in a matter of 6 months!!!

Is this a conspiracy????
    What can we do to stop it????
    Are oil companies out to gouge the American People???

All valid questions. The new reason will surprise many!! And It has nothing to do with George Bush being in the oil business:lol:
    First it was because of supply and demand. We simply needed more then they could make which made for short supply....anytime short supply of something the price for that item rises, unless of course your Bill Clinton.:yes:Then it was we were just making to much and had to store it before people bought it which raised the price because of the cost's associated with storing it.......yea right we bought that one:up: Seems like simple fix.....don't make as much.....hmmmmmm.

Well lets get to the new reason. INVESTORS......huh!!! The disconnect between demand and price may seem to violate fundamental rules of economics, but gas prices are actually responding to demand of a different kind: From investors.

Contrary to the views of many conspiracy theorists, gas prices aren't set by refiners or gas stations as part of a campaign to gouge consumers. Prices are a function of the open market, as manifested in the trading of futures contracts on the New York Mercantile Exchange, or Nymex.

Nymex gasoline futures have been rising, following oil, despite growing supplies of both commodities. Blame the falling dollar, which has made dollar-denominated oil contracts irresistible to foreign investors and to any investors looking for a safe haven for their money during a turbulent time in the stock market.

This buying by investors has pushed oil futures to a series of records in recent weeks, and the rest of the energy complex — which includes gasoline futures — has followed.

Unfortunately, consumers pay for this investment frenzy in the form of higher pump prices. And despite mounting evidence that Americans are cutting back on their gasoline habit — and may cut back even more drastically as gas gets more expensive — it may be some time before prices start responding to lower demand.

Agua and gafinfan like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I love not driving sometimes. The price of gas is ridiculous for something we only need to do due to how far away stuff is even for a small town man like myself. In many places you have no choice but to drive. Public transportation (which I know, requires gas) should be more of a possibility. It would help cut back, I think.

3. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    the future is here.....has been for a while

0-60 in 3.9 seconds

244 miles on a single charge

charges in 3.5 hours off household outlet

costs $2.25 to charge California money......which means on the East cost maybe $1.50

works out to pennies a mile

What are we waiting For????????

maybe our government should get their head out of their ***' and jump on this technology

anlgp likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

my uncle has been a mechanic for his entire life and he said something about a hydrogen engine.

i was completely hooked.

also; look into this

http://greasenotgas.com/Grease_Years.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

most diesel engines CAN RUN ON VEGETABLE OIL

5. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I have heard of this technology before and it is amazing. I lean back to the electric engine though because it has no moving parts that can wear out.....although i will admit diesel engines run forever.

The irony of the whole electric vehicle that i posted was this particular car was invented by 2 ex GM electrical engineers who got tired of the bureaucracy and bull sh*t associate with GM. So they got together in their garage in California, each forking out $75 G's and wala an electric that can go 244 miles on a single charge.

GM, Ford, Toyota.....................have only managed 50 miles per charge to this very day

Hmmmmm.......seems kind of funny to me

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    here the public bus system switched to natural gas.........

7. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    This seemed like ONE thing I wouldn't mind the Gov messing with and its the ONE thing Gov hasn't stuck its nose in: GET GOLDMAN SACHS, ET AL. out of the oil futures business!!

This BS we went through a year ago had damned little to do with supply and demand of actual product.

Coral Reefer, Fin D and 2socks like this.
  8. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    That is my point...............exactly...........and anyone else involved. Our economy is teetering on the edge, you want to jump start it look at the web site I linked you to.....pay special attention to the S coup. Understand this technology can be put into your wife's mini van.......the possibilities are endless......electric boats, trains, buses, Semi's, etc. This is not your normal electric Technology.....these guys have truely figured it out.

Tesla has asked the gov't for 350 million dollars to fund the building of a plant to mass produce these vehicles....NOW......TODAY, not 10-15 years from now, the price would drop to an estimated $30,000.00 once being massed produced, 2,000 above the average priced vehicle.

What is the problem.....isn't know the time.........GM, Chrysler and Ford are in Big trouble.............or is this the wrong time because of the issues at hand with the big 3, they actually aren't the ones with the technology.........that would be sad to let this technology fester for years because lobbyist's got our Politicians in their pockets!!!

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I've been saying this for a long time, except I took it all the way out by saying it was the main reason our economy collapsed. I still think that.

I will say this, whenever you have men driven by money, get to speculate about the future price of something, without impunity, and thinking it won't be abused, is flat out stupid. And when that something is the lifeblood of our nation and economy, its dangerous.

Agua, Coral Reefer and 2socks like this.
  10. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It's amazing how what is good ........actually takes a back seat to the greenback...........even if it is loosing its value:shifty:

They all talk about carbon emissions and carbon credits and this and that and here we have a world changing product and it has been sitting stagnate for over 5 years.

Imagine what we could do if in 20 years we eliminated the need for the internal combustion engine in the world.

Clean air, clean water.....................

I wish I knew Al Gore's phone number..........:lol:

Coral Reefer and Fin D like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Which is why lobbies and PACs need to be removed.:up:

Coral Reefer and 2socks like this.
  12. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Anybody know Al Gore's Phone Number.......