1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gase wants Tanny more aggressive

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Dolphins coach Adam Gase doesn’t want quarterback Ryan Tannehill worrying about making mistakes.

Gase said on PFT Live that his No. 1 priority for Tannehill in 2017 is to be willing to take chances, both with his arm and with his legs, if that’s what he has to do to make plays.

“Just be more aggressive,” Gase said. “I really want him to feel comfortable that his decision is going to be right. If he feels like something is not really happening the way he wants, escape from the pocket and not hesitate and worry about, Did I miss something? He’s a perfectionist so he wants to be able to stand back there and go through his progression, go one to two to his checkdown. Guys that have athletic ability, that can run, want to prove they can be a great pocket passer. All I care about is getting the first down and scoring points.”

Tannehill’s completion percentage was a career-high 67.1 percent in his first year in Gase’s offense, but Gase may be willing to see that number go down a little bit if it means Tannehill is taking more chances and making more plays downfield.

Surfs Up 99, Bpk and resnor like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Good idea. Keep re-enforcing that this isn't Joe Philbin and Bill Lazor watching over him. He's not going to have to answer for every little thing. Just go out, play with instincts and confidence and do what you have to do to make a play. Don't worry so much about how you make the play, just make the play. When you see Tannehill playing aggressive, and with the focus on making a play anyway possible, it's typically when he's playing his best football. Get him in the habit of doing it more, and keep encouraging him to do so. Don't worry about how you made a play happen, just worry about making a positive play. Be a playmaker. Do whatever it takes to get first downs and points. Good call Coach. Keep building that confidence and trust.

This should be music to DJ's ears, and rightfully so. :up:

Surfs Up 99, Bpk, dolfan7171 and 6 others like this.
  3. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    This is the crux of why RT isn't a franchise QB, he's not a predator, and this was the difference we saw in MM, he attacked the other team, your QB has to have a cut throat mentality and RT always wants to play it safe.

The meek may inherit the earth, but they don't win SBs, because if you're playing to not lose, then you're not playing to win.

"If they don't bite as pups, they probably don't bite."

Very difficult to change the mindset of a person.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You saw a different MM than I did.

5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Then you saw a different MM than most people did. Moore was absolutely more aggressive (he has had a gunslinger reputation). It was discussed by our "gurus" who are a lot smarter on this stuff than me, that he was doing things differently than Tanny. Maybe doing things Gase wants to do more, but hasn't, with Tanny.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ure-going-to-experience-on-a-matt-moore-play/

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...s-qb-matt-moore-call-it-and-ill-make-it-work/

Notice Gase and Christensen have been public about wanting Tanny to be more loose, more aggressive, yet with Moore they've said the exact opposite. They probably want him to rein it in just a little, to sometimes check down if you need to.

Gase is an aggressive guy, and wants his QB to be aggressive. But Tanny is a physical specimen, who is also risk averse, if he can get Tanny a little more loose he'll have the better QB.

6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yep, we'll continue to ignore the effect that four years of Philbin had on him.

Surfs Up 99, Pauly and danmarino like this.
  7. RealDolphinsFan2

RealDolphinsFan2 Member

Oct 26, 2016
    But I thought you told us the RT era was over in Miami and that Gase didn't believe in him? Why is this even a discussion pertaining to Miami Dolphins football, very confused. Maybe one day he can grow up to be like Melty Ice or THE GREAT Russell Wilson and choke away a SB lmao.

danmarino, LI phinfan and Fin D like this.
  8. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    They couldn't cut RT because of his injury clause, but we'll see what happens this season.

Yeah, and RT is obviously better than those guys, talk about lmao...

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    How incredibly disingenuous!!! The injury clause was the reason Ryan was not cut....laughable. The only thing more laughable was saying the RT era was over as soon as he got hurt! Him being our starting QB has ALL TO DO with Gase liking him, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with an injury clause. But why would I expect you to admit the big swing and miss Mighty Casey??? injury clause//LMAO

10. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It's amazing, actually. In 10 years, Tannehill could retire a Dolphin, and Finster would probably be like, "SEE?? I TOLD YOU he wasn't a franchise QB. The Dolphins forced him to retire."

KeyFin, M1NDCRlME, danmarino and 2 others like this.
  11. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Neither of those guy's choked the SB away....

What u b watching?

As far as Ryan? Gase is everything we could've hoped for in terms of changing the way Ryan plays physically and mentally.

After being overly babied in the media by Philbin and the FO all the while they were seriously doubting him as an NFL starter, he finally has a staff that knows how to handle a QB's mentality.

As long as Uncle Gase is around, Ryan will continue to evolve.

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Ryan I think was taking more shots and getting more aggressive as the season went on. So I don't buy this notion of pulling out the old Sparano quote to be honest. We're talking about a player here who was coached to stay in the pocket and go through progressions and execute the play for his early years, rather than being encouraged to use his athleticism to his ability because the coaches didn't want him taking chances. The big task here for Gase, and he's essentially said this from the day he was hired was to show Ryan he had his back, and get him to play with confidence. This is just the continuation of that IMO. Keep encouraging him to become the playmaker and to understand that he's got to play loose and free, not uptight and afraid to make a mistake like he'd previously been coached to. Any of this other BS flying around in here, is just that. BS.

Bpk, cuchulainn, Fin-O and 3 others like this.
  13. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Tanny had 4 solid years of people telling him that the most important thing for him was to stick to the script and not make mistakes.
    It takes time to reprogram someone from bad training. Its precisely why a lot of businesses prefer to hire and train inexperienced people rather than hire experienced personnel.

14. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Exactly. RT isn't a bad QB. He was taught bad habits. Gase, so far, has been breaking those habits,

Surfs Up 99, resnor and Fin-O like this.
  15. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Chad Henne was actually similar. He was a shot taker and threw fireballs into traffic in college.

Drafted by Sparano (Mr get me 3) and Chad Pennington who was a master of playing it safe was his mentor.

His whole attitude and demeanor changed in Miami...he looked 100% like the robot they told him to be.

Adam Gase would've had Chad Henne in the pro bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    with this offensive talent, he should take the next step

17. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I would think it was obvious to anyone that we have THE BEST 1-2 combination at QB anywhere in the league. After last season, I wouldn't be shocked to see Gase put Moore in for 4th quarters when we're down by 17 and tell him to go win the game. But if Tannehill keeps growing the way he did last year, I don't think we will be in that situation very often.

18. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I'd still have to give that trophy to the Pats. Nearly any QB can step in for Brady and do as well or nearly as well as he does. Look at Garroppolo and Cassell for examples.

KeyFin and resnor like this.
  19. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    "All I care about is getting the first down and scoring points.” -Gase

I love that attitude from the coach. Find a way to make plays, don't worry about running the play exactly as drawn up. Tanny just needs some more time to adjust to this crazy concept.

We all expect the offense to take a leap forward, right? With the skill players we have now? With it being the second year in the offense? If we don't average a TD more per game this year, I'll be disappointed.

Surfs Up 99 and resnor like this.
  20. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    The problem I have with this statement is that it's contradictory to what he was saying last year about Doughty, who wasn't following progressions but was completing passes, and Gase was saying he doesn't know how he's doing it, but he needs to learn to follow his progressions.

It sounds more like he's frustrated with RT, and I know how he feels.

dolphin25 likes this.
  21. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Doesn't sound like it to me or many others that Gase is frustrated at all. Sounds like he is looking for avenues for improvement for Ryan. All we hear is how hard working and competitive RT is... how he was ready to play in the playoffs if we beat Pitt. Oddly, not terribly surprised of your negative slant on this.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    resnor likes this.
  22. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    sounds good sounds good. but one thing is for sure, Gase needs to teach THill to speed up his internal clock. Not all panicky like R.Lucas was for us, but read/anticipate the coverage faster and rip it.

23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Here’s a guy who when he runs, he moves faster.

In order for this team to win the game, the quarterback has to throw the ball.

You play to win the game.

They were who we thought they were.

We couldn't do diddly poo.

You're only as strong as your weakest link.

To get more yards, it’s best to move the ball from the line of scrimmage down the field.

Gaijin likes this.
  24. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wait, huh? Your saying the only reason RT didnt get cut was because of his injury clause? Where per chance did you come across this bit of information?

resnor likes this.
  25. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    It's pure speculation on my part, I think Gase isn't satisfied with RTs QB ability, but again, that is just my take on it.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not think it contradicts what he did with Doughty last year. Doughty is not at the point in his development as a pro to be going off the beaten path.

It is like if someone taught themselves how to play piano. To start playing good classic music, they are going to have to relearn some of the basics and get rid of some bad habits. Right now Tannehill is ready for jazz.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Be more "aggressive" is the key word..." get the first down by any means necessary"

What Gase imo is saying is that he needs to play off the script with more conviction..go thru your first and 2nd read, if it ain't there you have to have a plan, start to understand the concept of resetting your platform thru the traffic with more anticipation and quickness, or if the yardage is right in front of you, and the read is covered, be aggressive in your approach to tuck it and run for the first down..

Imo Ryan has not been conscious of these parts of the game yet..so far and the stats back it up, he waits til the very last fraction to use his athleticism, often times, actually more than any other, the result is a sack, occasionally, he will escape and make a play..I don't think waiting til the last second for receivers to open is the way to win, convert first downs, or score points, especially when your bringing the type of skillset that Ryan has..

Now I truly understand Ryans athletic limitations, they are laterally challenged ones, but anticipation and being more aware of what being aggressive means in relation to what Gase is talking about is what is needed to give us the best chance to convert, score, and win.

The game finally slowed for ryan last year, now its time to understand that when you consciously escape with a plan, when you consciously tuck it and run it for first downs, the impact these threats pose to a defense is sooo valuable..

I see Ryan improving in this regard this year because he usually improves incrementally every year on his weaknesses, and I know he's not stupid, and I know he's been trained improperly, but if we want to win championships, it's not just about improving from the pocket, it's about improving this element of qb'ing, which has currently not been in his repertoire.

28. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Cassell has NEVER done as well, or nearly as well, as Brady, anywhere at any time. They went from 117 rating to 50 TDs, to 89 rating, and 21 TDs.

On what planet is that as well, or nearly as well?

Garrapolo in really short time was excellent. Is that a knock on Brady? We don't know yet. For all we know it could be Favre/Rodgers. Or not. Time will tell. And time will really tell when Brady retires.

29. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If Ryan Tannehill ever becomes a pre-snap sage, he can probably predict who will be open and who won't, presnap, and skip the latter reads. It all comes with experience and ability, he'll get the experience, let's see if he has the ability.

djphinfan likes this.
  30. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    If you want to cherry pick one season, his overwhelmingly best season, from a 9 year NFL veteran QB and compare that to Cassel, a 2nd year bench warmer who also happened to be a late 7th round pick who had not started a game since high school, that's fine. You won't come to any meaningful conclusions, however.

OTOH, if you want to average out Brady's (up to that point) career you'd find that Cassel and Brady were much closer, when playing for the Pats, than most Brady fans want to believe.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Fin D and resnor like this.
  31. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Of course he cherry picks one season. That's what always happens when the Brady/Cassel topic comes up.

danmarino and Fin D like this.
  32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't expect intellectual honesty, but maybe some creativity would be nice.....

resnor likes this.
  33. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It's not a cherry pick. It's literally the year he played before with those receiving options.

I dare you to go anywhere in public and say Cassell did nearly as well as Brady and try NOT to get laughed out of the room.

Brady was already a shoo in for the HOF at that point and you are saying Cassell did nearly as well. He just broke records with those receivers and Cassell barely gets 40% of the TDs. 27 pts higher rating. But this qualifies as nearly as well.

Well Moore did BETTER than Tanny. Not as well. Better. 11-12 pt higher passer rating. 80% better td percentage.

If you want to compare their first games in a new offense it gets even uglier.

KeyFin likes this.
  34. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Well, it's a bit of a stretch to say that Cassell played at Brady level, but it was one of his two good seasons (the other with the Chiefs) so if the argument is that the Patriots can squeeze out the best from any quarterback that is a good point.

On the original argument of the topic I like that Gase wants Ryan to take more chances downfield: he started last season saying that the NFL is a dink-dunk league and few teams have a vertical passing game but seeing how well Tannehill threw deep last season it's good coaching wanting to do it more.

35. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It is cherry picking, as Brady has never put up those sort of numbers again.

36. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    No, it's actually cherry picking at it's finest. I would never cherry pick Daunte Culpepper's best season with Randy Moss and say, "Hey! He's HoF worthy!"

The same goes with comparing Cassel and Brady. And the facts are, up to that point in their careers, even when factoring in Brady's best season, they were both a ~3500 yard, 20-25 TD, 11-12 INT, high 80's passer rating quarterback. And when Brady came back, with Moss, he threw something like 6 more TD's and a .9 better TD% than Cassel did the year prior. So why not look at that ONE season? It's all the same, right? lol

resnor likes this.
  37. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Not really. If you average out Brady's career up to that point he and Cassell where nearly identical.

38. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Dont cherry-pick if you dont want others to do so.

Cassell has never been on the same level as Brady, nonetheless the Patriots squeezed out of him good qb play over that season, a level of play he reached only once more in his career.

Brady on the other hand grew a lot as a player, at the start of his career he was basically a game manager and built his skills over the years. And of course before 2005 he played under less stringent pass interference officiating than Cassell (it's no mistery that QB rating has balooned over the last 10-12 years).

It's true that New England maximizes the value of players on roster but not to the extent that Cassell is in the same league as Brady as a QB.

39. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    How am I cherry picking? I'm using, in totality, every game that Brady played in compared to every game that Cassel played in while in New England.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Cassel would/could have the same long term success in New England that Brady has had, however, it's proven fact that they both played very similarly while Cassel was in New England. And that seems to be the MO with any QB that starts a game in New England. Look at Garroppollo. And like Cassel, IMO, Garop, if traded, will fail on another team.

Also, there's a thread around here that addresses the rising passer ratings and it really hasn't "ballooned" as much as people think.

resnor likes this.
  40. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 8, 2017
    You are picking the part of Brady career that gives you the numbers you want, much like jdang was picking the part of brady career that gave him the numbers he wanted. Brady's worst season after the injury is better then the best season pre-injury, save 2007.

But I agree with you on the general argument that the Patriots are able to put most quarterbacks in position to succeed.