1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Clark Kent, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Snow can melt too quickly in books.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Also, I really agree with him with his points on Arya sweeping.

In books, 2 chapters of Arya sweeping can be interesting. On TV, that was freaking boring. They should have used the medium of TV to speed up the Arya chapters and make them a lot more fun instead of so boring. So, so boring.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The show timeskips all the time. ALL the time.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    There's plenty of room for criticism of plot points in GOT (Books or TV show). But guys like these criticize for the sake of criticizing. As Fin D pointed out, largely to demonstrate their superiority as viewers. Quite literally, every scene is stupid or poor writing, according to this guy. And more often than not, his criticism is petty and distracts from the valid points he does have.

Truth. And that's sadly not the first time I've heard that complaint since the finale.

Jon Snow has been saying all along that the wildlings are cannon fodder for the White Walkers if they're left to fend for themselves. Do we really need a redundant scene of Jon Snow explaining that again, tacking on the story of Hardhome, while the brothers of the Night's Watch roll their eyes in disbelief? The major players within the Night's Watch don't trust Jon Snow. They don't like Jon Snow. Nothing was going to stop his assassination. This narrative has been firmly established since the beginning. Snow was a marked man from the moment the Lord Commander Mormont died. Even Stannis, in Castle Black for all of 10 minutes, tells Jon Snow to get rid of Allister by giving him command of another castle, because he was too dangerous to Snow.

5. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Stannis and the audience are lead to believe the snow melted as a direct result of blood magic. Having snow melt over the period of 3 weeks to avoid flooding, doesn't exactly scream, Abracadabra! Stannis needed a miracle. He got one. The end.

gunn34 likes this.
  6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The books don't have to force visuals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Would that have hurt the pace? Could stannis just hang out for a couple of months while the snow melts?

They could have simply just kept more snow on the ground, making the melting less pronounced . But then would it have been obvious to the entire audience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

8. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I think my problem with the show is we get scenes like "bad poosay", sand snake hand slap game, and the topless sand snake scene. They could have used the Arya scenes to flesh out Bravos, or the current events in Essos like Dany in Mereen, because it's a port town for crying out load. Instead we get Ramsay Bolton being a mustache twirling villian again because they need to beat you over the head that he's a bad guy, and we get Meryn Trant whipping young girls because he's a bad guy too. We know they're bad guys, that's why they do "Previously on Game of Thrones" to remind the audience of their bad deeds. I know they're pressed for time but I think they could do a better job of editing to include scenes that enrich the world.

Desides likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    To further the point that the guy isn't mistaking book and tv medium. Jon Snow makes the same mistake in the book. He never took the time to really explain what he is doing.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I take it you have never read Robert Jordan.

11. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, I for one, think the topless sand snake game was very necessary.

12. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    well yeah it was the saving grace of the Dorne storyline. Areo didn't get to use his axe on Aerys Oakheart

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That costs a lot of money.

14. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you're concerned about whether or not the weather change was obvious to the viewers, well, I would argue the situation that supposedly required Stanley Barton to kill his only heir was not nearly as dire as portrayed visually. The sequence of events portrayed in the show was a result of a character change, bad pacing, and above all, poor writing.

15. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Two big pieces of GoT news...

1). The head honcho at HBO says GoT will go beyond 7 seasons, despite what D&D have said. The number being thrown around is 8.

2). Ian McShane (Al Swearengen, Deadwood) is joining the cast for season 6. Fantastic news, IMO. Phenomenal actor. While there's no announcement on who he'll be playing, the popular theory is...

Randyll Tarly, Sam's father. Genius military commander and supporter of House Tyrell