1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gabe Carimi Declares Himself Top Tackle in Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Whether he is or not, I really like his attitude in this.

Carimi Confident

Further, the clear fact, from the brief interview, that both the Ravens and Pats are interested in this kid is a sign of his toughness, imo.

Can only imagine what he could do at RT. I honestly would love him as a bookend with Long. Nearly identical sizes. He and Jake would likely make a great combo for the next decade (barring injury).

I am ready for a strong, tough, physically fit (!) RT. I know there are needs on the interior, but if the team wanted to they could even keep Carey and move him to OG. And, we still have Garner coming back and could go OG or C again later in the draft (esp. if we moved down a bit).

I just don't think Carey is reliable any more. He's inconsistent for one. He's also never been a mean power blocker. He's also injury prone. Finally, I've never liked his work ethic. He repeatedly plays 20-30 lbs over weight. In that respect he's the antithesis of Jake Long.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting factoid about Carimi is he is a observant Jew who has looked at every calendar for the next 15 yrs and won't be fasting or what have you on a single gameday..:D

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I'm sure is getting attention in the front office

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What I find interesting about Carimi's boasting, and Jake Locker's admission that he's still thinking about playing baseball, is that the media and fans aren't going to make anywhere near the stink about those things that they did when Cam Newton answered a question about his Under Armour deal by saying he sees himself as an entertainer and an icon.

But Locker's admission that he's still thinking about baseball is EXPONENTIALLY more damaging to his draft stock (which isn't to say it'll hurt him a ton, just that where the 'icon' statement didn't hurt Newton's draft stock in any way whatsoever, the baseball thing will actually make teams think twice about Locker).

texanphinatic likes this.
  5. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Just what we need, a guy on the OL who thinks he is a TO. LMAO!

When does it end? Put him up vs Wake today. If he wins one of ten battles, I woulod be surprised.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I’d make a play for Jared Gaither and use the 15th overall pick elsewhere.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not a big fan of Gaither. Very sloppy IMO.

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He definitely has issues, but I think he can be made respectable. There’s talent to work with.

My bigger point is that I view taking an OT or RB at #15 to be very counterproductive.

9. bamadolphin

bamadolphin New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    He must be hangin out with the entertainer and icon Cam Newton.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree about the OT, at what point does Sparano take responsibility for developing offensive linemen and not expect the franchise to make life as easy as possible for him by tossing high draft picks and huge FA contracts at an area that is allegedly his specialty?

Anyone can draft olinemen with #1 picks, we need playmakers not "ease Sparano's concerns about the talent on the oline" at #15.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm the best linebacker in this year's draft.

Pandarilla likes this.
  12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Honestly, I’m getting pretty tired of this “Sparano coached offensive line once, we should have a great OL” type logic. He also coordinated a running game and coached tight ends. It’s not relevant to what he does now as a head coach. Blame the position coaches directly, blame the front office for needing to throw money at the unit, and then pass on whatever blame is left over to Sparano.

I’ll say this: the offensive linemen we’ve signed and released haven’t exactly gone on to bigger and brighter things in the NFL. Donald Thomas took nearly the entire season to land as a backup on the Lions. Jake Grove still doesn’t have a job. Justin Smiley lost his. So maybe while the front office is whiffing on acquiring linemen, the coaches are doing a good job of getting them to play well enough before the front office decides to rectify its financial mistakes.

Don’t draft a lineman at #15. Don’t draft a running back at #15. Package the pick, trade up, get Newton. Maybe Gabbert. But aim for Newton.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    given our current reality on offense,
    an offensive linesman or running back may be the best option,
    if one of the top QB prospects don't land on 15.

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    hopefully:

Gabbert, Newton, Ponder, Locker
    or
    Ingram, Wisniewski, Pouncey, Okung @ 15

however they land @ 15

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The current reality on offense is that we lack a skilled quarterback. Getting one of those is job number one.

16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if we get one @ 15 or next year will present another opportunity.
    we have too many holes to fill on offense, this is a two year repair

17. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    6 games missed out of 112 games
    5 straight years before last season
    without missing a game

I wish all our players were as injury prone

18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Thus it’s more important to get the quarterback immediately.

19. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'm the best poster in this thread...

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    all I'm advocating is not wasting picks
    getting true value per pick to fix the offense correctly
    wherever they may fall to us in the draft

got to get the most possible offensive value out of this draft & the next to rebuild the offense