1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuller Hoping To Follow In Tannehill's Shoes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrClean, Aug 21, 2012.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Does the chemistry that Fuller and Tanne have together give him an edge in a close race for one of the WR spots on the 53 man roster? If Tanne quietly mentions to Sherm that he would sure like to have Fuller as one of his WRs, does it carry any weight now that Ryan has won the starting job?
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...er-Notes/d17f52d5-55ff-4201-8772-1cc761a54983

xphinfanx, ToddPhin, CWBIII and 4 others like this.
  2. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think Fuller's history with Tannehill is a definite leg up for him in the coaches' minds. And I think he's a guy who makes it a lot easier to live with Roberto Wallace's lack of improvement.

CWBIII, Boik14, smahtaz and 1 other person like this.
  3. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    More so than even his chemistry with Tannehill, I would say his knowledge of the offense gives him the biggest leg up. We talk about the advantage Tannehill has coming in knowing the offense... but the same could be said for Fuller.

CWBIII, Boik14, smahtaz and 3 others like this.
  4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think his history with Tannehill matters. He needs to be at least the fifth best WR on the team. Chemistry can be learned and developed. If you aren't the best player for the roster spot you shouldn't be on the roster.

If he makes the 53 it will be because he earned it. Not because of history.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  5. MrClean

Will his knowledge of the system and chemistry with Tanne give him any advantage in earning it, as opposed to say if he were the same player but came from another college and system?

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think his chemistry and history only comes into play if he and player X are neck and neck and you believe they are equal players. Then maybe you say "Fuller and player x are equal, but we like that Fuller has experience with Tannehill and in this system"

Knowing the system helps any young player for sure. At the end of the day though I don't think he has any major advantages. He still needs to win the job.

CWBIII and MrClean like this.
  7. MrClean

From what we can tell after seeing two preseason games and reading practice tweets, it sure appears like he is neck and neck with Matthews, Wallace, and Moore at least.

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He's clearly above Matthews IMO.

9. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I think Fuller has a chance to make the roster, but not because Ryan Tannehill "puts a word in" for him.

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wait, the real news story here is being glossed over...Fuller CAUGHT 4 passes, thats the real news here. :chuckle:

In all seriousness, I like that Fuller was making plays...someone has to on this team at the WR position and Fuller has the size to help this team in a lot of areas particularly in the redzone where its no secret, our current projected starters, Bess and Hartline (presumeably) are not great and arent tall or great jumpers.

xphinfanx likes this.
  11. MrClean

I would guess the Carolina game helped Matthews a lot. His punt coverage was really good. He caught the TD pass where he dragged the defender 2 yards into the end zone. He made that catch along the sidelines, where he got leveled hard and hung on to the ball. He made that really nice 4th down catch to sustain a drive.

One thing about Fuller, has he been working as a punt coverage gunner at all? The last 2-3 WR spots will probably be decided by which is better at STs. If he's been covering kicks or punts I've not noticed him, though he maybe out there.

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Don't confuse me thinking Fuller is ahead of Matthews as me not liking Matthews more than Fuller. I understand the last 2 spots will be heavily influenced by STs play. But what if we keep 6 WRs and Fuller is #4?

13. MrClean

I think he'll need to be someone they plan to factor in regularly in the passing game as opposed to special teams prowess. Right now I'd have him tied for 7th with Naanee, Wallace and Moore. IMO, they all have their pluses and minuses.

14. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    We should have picked Cyrus Gray from A&M as well.