1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Circle?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ohio Fanatic, Sep 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    We've been watching the NE defense get older every year. We all saw this coming. When you fill your key positions with aging veterans it will pay off in the short term, but will bite ya in the *** in the long term. Well, time to pay the piper. No longer can Tom Brady cover up for the deficiencies of this NE defense.

All Dynasties must come to an end. All of them. Whether it's in football or in the real world (I've been watching a lot of History Channel stuff on my iPod on train everyday) NE's window is closing rapidly. Will they always be competitive with Tom Brady? Yes, absolutely. But after a couple more years, the Patsies will resemble our Marino-led Dolphins in the 2nd half of his career. He will "will" them to some big wins during the regular season, he will help them to 8-10 wins a season, but will always falter in the playoffs.

One of the three remaining teams, Fins, Bills and JESTS must emerge to naturally take there place. I don't think it will be NY. They will always make the wrong decision at critical times to balance out there good decisions (see Brett Favre vs Alan Faneca)

I think it's going to be Buffalo and Miami again.

FUNNY how it all comes full circle isn't it?
    Miami gets another strong young QB from Pennsylvania. Buffalo has there very promising QB in Trent Edwards. The difference is that now both teams have good young RBs, something Marino never had. It will take a couple of years for the old fierce rivalry to take center stage, but when it does, we'll all be very happy dolfans again.

PMZQ likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    New England's starting defense average age is about 29 years old at the moment. I expect Bruschi and Harrison to be gone in a year or two. I expect Vrabel to be gone in a couple years. Next year, if you take away Harrison, Lewis Sanders (I don't expect him to be starter next year; I'm looking at Terrence Wheatley), Vrabel, your looking at their average age to be 26.5. That average age is including Tedy Bruschi because I don't know who they plan on having at ILB. Expecting a draft pick so say that draft pick is 23 years old, the average age is around 23 years old. They will probably add some free agents for depth so I don't expect their starting defense average age to increase by much.

Looking at their QB situation, Brady is 31 years old and probably has about three or four more good years, if not more (depending on his health). While Brady is still there, they will remain a good team imo.

The Patriots still draft well and that will keep them in the division title hunt at the least. And as long as Belichick is the coach of the NE patriots, I expect them to remain competitive for the division title at the least.

Don't count them out as long as Belichick is there.

Moving on to the other division teams, the Jets have tied up a lot of money in veteran players. Right now, its not looking really good but that could turn around. I believe it was Ron Jaworski who said they needed to find their identity. I do agree with them, they're not sure what to do. They are trying to get everyone the ball including running with Jones but then they are asking Favre to play his own game. That's not going to work. They need to relax and see what they can do to win games. I still think that they will be a good team for the next couple years. After that, they're in big trouble. They essentially have set themselves back about four years in terms of rebuilding (which will be needed). They are likely to be at the bottom of the division for a while in a couple years.

As for the Bills, I really like what they're doing, as much as I hate to say that. I think that they are going to be a very good team in the next few years. They have gotten very physical up front opposed to be kind of soft in the past, especially along the interior defensive line. They have Edwards who will be a good QB as you mentioned and they have Marshawn Lynch as well as Hardy and Evans. They have a good offensive line. They will be competing for the division title for a while imo.

Finally, the Dolphins will likely need another one or two solid drafts before we can be a team competing for the division title, assuming we develop our players well and we still have the same coaching staff. We have a young defensive and offensive line that will be key for us for many years. We do have an atrocious secondary at the moment but hopefully that will change in the next year or two. On offense, we have our franchise QB at the moment, we have a good RB in Ronnie Brown. We will have to improve our WR's on offense. If we develop our players correctly, add more pieces and have continuity, we could have a competitive team in a couple years.

3. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    I hear you Alen, about New England's Defense average age....but what about talent?

Are they inserting equal talent to the mix, as the good as the "old" talent? When OF talks about their age I get the sense that they're not adding the 'magic' talent they used to have on that side of the ball.

It seems to me their skill defensive players are the old ones..and despite some good young ones, they're not nearly as dominant as the bruschis and vrabels were.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The talent level will be once again good as long as they keep Pioli and Belicheck imo. They are very good at evaluating talent and I think they would build their defense around the players strengths.

Correct bro but according to the depth chart on their official site, both of them are starters. :up:

I think Belichick leaves once Brady leaves. That'll be in a few more years imo.

As for Brady playing in San Fran, I can't see it happening unless he and the Patriots decide to separate.

5. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    And I think Buffalo will be the team to beat in the AFC East the next couple years though I don't believe they'll be one of those Power-Houses a la Colts or Pats of the 00's

Who did they defeat? An average Seahawks with a banged up Hasselbeck, the Jaguars which seems to be always that "next big thing" but never reaches it, and the Raiders arguably one of the worst teams in the league. Valid acomplishments though a bit misleading.

6. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Exactly, I tend to agree with that, and expect that from Pioli and Bellicheck...

but for now thats not what I'm seeing, fortunately :pointlol: