1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday Dolphins Talking Points: Focus on Chad Henne vs. Jaguars

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Aug 20, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...alking-points-focus-on-chad-henne-vs-jaguars/

Disnardo, jetssuck, PhinsRock and 2 others like this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Like hell. 60 yards on 11 attempts is JaMarcus Russell-esque.

60 yards on 11 attempts is 5.45 YPA.
    Russell's career YPA is 6.0.

Okay, I take it back. 60 yards on 11 attempts is worse than JaMarcus Russell's average career performance.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    But that would be under pretty poor conditions (wet ball, muddy field) so I think Henne would have been given a bit of extra slack.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Josh Freeman.

That's about all I have to say to that.

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I like how people are not taking into account that those 3 droped passes would have led to more passing oppurtunities which means he would have had more than sixty yards passing.

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This. And Marshall had A LOT of open space. I could easily have seen that going for 40 yards, maybe more if he breaks a couple tackles.

7. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Josh Freeman only played the first quarter, if I recall, and never had to take a snap while in the mud.

I'm not saying Henne is excused for sucking it up entirely, but Josh Freeman hiked the ball on one side of the field, the less hazardous one.

If my memory is off feel free to correct me (It's very well possible).

You can't really draw any conclusion from Henne's performance individually from that game. The only thing you can really gather is that our team as a whole was/is NOT prepared for rain games.

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Henne had 19 yards passing. The 60 yards figure comes from taking into account the yardage that would have been gained if those balls had been caught, as clearly stated in the excerpted quote. The point is that even if those balls had been caught, his performance still would have been horrible.

Not sure why this distinction between what Henne's stats really were--5/11 for 19 yards--and what Henne's stats might have been had those balls been caught is eluding people.

The touchdown pass to Sammie Stroughter was made from the infield side. Stroughter ran over the dirt and then moved into the middle of the field to waltz into the end zone. Further, the entire field was wet and soggy; didn't stop the Bucs from moving from their end to ours.

Are we done recycling the same excuses about the field? They don't hold up.

dolfan7171, gafinfan and first&goal like this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm hoping Henne does poorly so Des will have a nervous breakdown..:D

The offense will be fine, I'm focused on the Defense especially the secondaries ball skills, and of course the Return game..PCobbs is not a KR.

GMJohnson likes this.
  10. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Must be my memory playing tricks on me, I could have sworn that was about a 30'ish yard pass/gain. I blame Madden, I'm getting my "Oh my god our Secondary got torched" plays confused.

11. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I think if you factor in both Marshall drops and the Hartline one, you probably have 8 for 11, 75 yards. And of course, he probably has even more attempts since each one of those completed passes would have extended the drive.

But that is neither here or there. I expect him to look better and have better stats against the Jaguars.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That was Mike Williams down the sideline. He beat Vontae on the deep ball. That reception advanced the Bucs to our side of the field with the dirt. From there, Josh Freeman threw a pass to a wide-open Stroughter who ran untouched into the end zone. I believe it was Chris Clemons who blew the coverage.

If Henne has a poor outing in what's projected to be clear weather against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL, this entire forum will have a nervous breakdown.

Puka-head and gafinfan like this.
  13. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Shhh....that kills the argument...lol

dolfan7171 and GMJohnson like this.
  14. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

The question in my mind is will Sparano have this team ready to play or will tony be playing mad scientist again? I'd dearly like to see the first team unit on the field together for the entire first half, THEN we'll get a better idea what we've really got.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Patrick turner taking snaps out of the Wildcat throwing to Brandon Fields...

...or bust.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Exactly. Josh Freeman isn't an answer b/c he played the vast majority of his snaps somewhere other than the mud.

Reality is that we all want Henne to play better but if he hadn't had those drops then the resultant stats considering conditions would not have been complained about. Which was the point I was making.

jetssuck likes this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What did Henne do to play poorly in your eyes if the three catches were made?, because all three were good throws and catchable, in the slop.

dolfan7171 and MikeHoncho like this.
  18. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Josh Freeman played under the very same conditions and without a Brandon Marshall type, their WR's don't kick balls either, and he handled the wet balls, bad weather, and Mud by putting up 7 points during his time on the field. Slack is for wanna-be's so Mr. Henne gets none from me, its way passed time to poop or get off the pot!:wink2::lol:

Puka-head likes this.
  19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    This is driving me nuts GA, what did he do ya'll?...he threw 11 passes completed 5, and his receivers dropped 3 that were right there.....8/11.....are some of you upset he didn't go perfect in the mud?

fins4o8 and jetssuck like this.
  20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yawn. That article is what I call a pathetic attempt to make a preseason game sound important.

Pandarilla likes this.
  21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Some peeps just need something to talk (complain) about.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    No, he didn't. Henne played just about all of his snaps in the mud. Freeman played almost all of his snaps on the grass.

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Grass retains water too.

24. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Meh. You can make an argument either way. Footing is worse in the mud, makes it hard to dig and run crisp routes. It makes it hard for the o-line to maintain their blocks as long and typically, under those type of weather conditions, you don't tend to show a gameplan of going deep too often.

Oh, plus hiking the ball from the mud each time pretty much guarantees a sloppy ball with mud on it. Not the same as coming from the turf.

It also didn't help that Henne threw a swing pass to Ricky for negative yardage as well.

25. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I don't care about the stats.

Henne needs to look good.

2 checkdowns to the fullback and 3 drops was sad.

We looked arguable worse, or as bad, as the 3rd worst team in football last year.

This game shouldn't have the weather conditions. No excuses.

Look sharp like the playoff team I believe they are.

gafinfan likes this.
  26. gafinfan

No I'm not upset I really want Henne to succeed. Why? Cause I'm so tired of the merry-go-round that has been/is our QB situation. Having said that I'm not going to sugarcoat a bad proformance. It hasn't been done before by this group to any QB since Dan walked off the field in 1999 so I'm not changing just because, ok? Ok! I let my feelings override my better judgement once (John Beck) not again! So Mr. Henne, fair weather or foul, Man up!

Who cares if we win or lose score wise preseason is all about indivual proformances and who wants it bad enought! This is the time that everyone should be in the "I'm showing you what I got mode!"

And that includes our Mr. Henne dj!:hi5:

27. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Who cares, you don't show a lot on offense in the preseason. Henne will be fine, if he was 10 for 10 with 4tds it wouldn't mean anything either, these aren't real games.

Pandarilla likes this.
  28. gafinfan

WOOoooooooooooooo, I'm not the one complaining about the conditions or excusing a less than stellar proformance.:console::wontplay:

29. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Do you have space on that drum your beating, obviously we need to beat it harder for people to hear it. There was at least 25+ yards between Marshall's last drop and Hartline's.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree with everything except blaming Henne..

If I blame anyone its Sparano for not having his team go mano emano in the mud and motivating them enough to kick their *** strait up. Preseason is all about vanilla vanilla, just lining up and beating the guy opposite of you.

Come out and play like your hungry, play like you have expectations, preseason or not..

I also believe our players had no emotional edge playing in that stadium that night, so Iam sure the morgue had its affect on some players.

31. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just a thought and could be completely off point but does anybody else think that maybe Chad has been hendered by watching and learning from Pennington?? It just seems like Henne likes to settle for the little dink and dunk passes to quickly. I understand that you have to have the little clock in your head, but in reality you have to give your recievers a little more time to get open before you check down. I hate the stupid little dump off to the FB that gets 2 yards!! I'd rather try and complete a pass thats 15 and have an incompletion. There is a chance you get a PI call against the DB or the player catch's the ball. I just think Henne needs to be able to feel the pressure a little bit better than what he does. If there is no pressure hold onto that ball a second longer and let your WR get open deep and hit that.

I think this is a progression thing that he will pick up hopefully sooner than later, but if he can start to feel that pressure a little more he's going to jump in his development leaps and bounds.

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Are people really freaking that we only scored 7 points in a downpour, in the mud, in our first preseason game? Practice all you like but you can't simulate the real thing.

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think that's more a product of Sparano. And with a young QB, I can't say that's a horrible approach. I do think that as Henne continues to develop he'll have to learn when he can take more chances and/or hold the ball a bit longer to give the deeper WR a chance. That's why getting Marshall (or any true #1) was so important. Sometimes Henne is just going to have to trust that his WR will get there or get the pass (or draw the penalty) even when he's covered. With the WRs he's had so far that wasn't a good bet. With Marshall there the odds should be better.

34. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Am I the only one skipping posts that are longer than 2 lines?

SuperMarksBros. likes this.
  35. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Not at all,bro. We will be just fine.....

36. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    Did you guys forget? We won the kick off, we had choice of possession or field position. We could have had the nice grass instead of that tainted Marlin mud, so that first half was on us. Lets not make excuses and get ready for the jags, and hopefully a better performance all around. :scooter:

37. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Henne dominated. Looks like we're in for a good year.