Friday Dolphins Talking Points: Focus on Chad Henne vs. Jaguars
36 replies
1. Chad Henne could reassure his fans with a strong outing Saturday night.
Henne’s stats from the Tampa Bay game — 5-of-11 passing for 19 yards — were significantly impacted by the fact Brandon Marshall and Brian Hartline both dropped perfect passes that would have resulted in significant gains. A 7-of-11 outing for, say, 60 yards would not have raised as many eyebrows.
Having said that, Henne threw for only three touchdowns vs. six interceptions in his final four starts last season, so he doesn’t exactly come into this year on a roll. It would be nice to see him start showing the leadership and confidence both his coaches and fans will be expecting to see Sept. 12 at Buffalo, just as it would be nice to see him developing the kind of chemistry with Marshall that will result in a 100-catch season.
This won’t be the cameo Henne had last week; he could play as much as a half. That kind of sampling will be much more indicative of where he’s at in his preparation.
Win, Lose, or Tie, I will be a Dolphins Fan Until I Die:up:
Henne’s stats from the Tampa Bay game — 5-of-11 passing for 19 yards — were significantly impacted by the fact Brandon Marshall and Brian Hartline both dropped perfect passes that would have resulted in significant gains. A 7-of-11 outing for, say, 60 yards would not have raised as many eyebrows.
Like hell. 60 yards on 11 attempts is JaMarcus Russell-esque.
60 yards on 11 attempts is 5.45 YPA.
Russell's career YPA is 6.0.
Okay, I take it back. 60 yards on 11 attempts is worse than JaMarcus Russell's average career performance.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
Like hell. 60 yards on 11 attempts is JaMarcus Russell-esque.
60 yards on 11 attempts is 5.45 YPA.
Russell's career YPA is 6.0.Okay, I take it back. 60 yards on 11 attempts is worse than JaMarcus Russell's average career performance.
But that would be under pretty poor conditions (wet ball, muddy field) so I think Henne would have been given a bit of extra slack.

"rafael wrote:
But that would be under pretty poor conditions (wet ball, muddy field) so I think Henne would have been given a bit of extra slack.
Josh Freeman.
That's about all I have to say to that.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
I like how people are not taking into account that those 3 droped passes would have led to more passing oppurtunities which means he would have had more than sixty yards passing.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:
I like how people are not taking into account that those 3 droped passes would have led to more passing oppurtunities which means he would have had more than sixty yards passing.
This. And Marshall had A LOT of open space. I could easily have seen that going for 40 yards, maybe more if he breaks a couple tackles.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"Desides wrote:
Josh Freeman.
That's about all I have to say to that.
Josh Freeman only played the first quarter, if I recall, and never had to take a snap while in the mud.
I'm not saying Henne is excused for sucking it up entirely, but Josh Freeman hiked the ball on one side of the field, the less hazardous one.
If my memory is off feel free to correct me (It's very well possible).
You can't really draw any conclusion from Henne's performance individually from that game. The only thing you can really gather is that our team as a whole was/is NOT prepared for rain games.
"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:
I like how people are not taking into account that those 3 droped passes would have led to more passing oppurtunities which means he would have had more than sixty yards passing.
Henne had 19 yards passing. The 60 yards figure comes from taking into account the yardage that would have been gained if those balls had been caught, as clearly stated in the excerpted quote. The point is that even if those balls had been caught, his performance still would have been horrible.
Not sure why this distinction between what Henne's stats really were--5/11 for 19 yards--and what Henne's stats might have been had those balls been caught is eluding people.
"SeanP wrote:
Josh Freeman only played the first quarter, if I recall, and never had to take a snap while in the mud.
The touchdown pass to Sammie Stroughter was made from the infield side. Stroughter ran over the dirt and then moved into the middle of the field to waltz into the end zone. Further, the entire field was wet and soggy; didn't stop the Bucs from moving from their end to ours.
Are we done recycling the same excuses about the field? They don't hold up.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
I'm hoping Henne does poorly so Des will have a nervous breakdown..:D
The offense will be fine, I'm focused on the Defense especially the secondaries ball skills, and of course the Return game..PCobbs is not a KR.
"Desides wrote:
The touchdown pass to Sammie Stroughter was made from the infield side.
Must be my memory playing tricks on me, I could have sworn that was about a 30'ish yard pass/gain. I blame Madden, I'm getting my "Oh my god our Secondary got torched" plays confused.
I think if you factor in both Marshall drops and the Hartline one, you probably have 8 for 11, 75 yards. And of course, he probably has even more attempts since each one of those completed passes would have extended the drive.
But that is neither here or there. I expect him to look better and have better stats against the Jaguars.
"SeanP wrote:
Must be my memory playing tricks on me, I could have sworn that was about a 30'ish yard pass/gain.
That was Mike Williams down the sideline. He beat Vontae on the deep ball. That reception advanced the Bucs to our side of the field with the dirt. From there, Josh Freeman threw a pass to a wide-open Stroughter who ran untouched into the end zone. I believe it was Chris Clemons who blew the coverage.
"padre31 wrote:
I'm hoping Henne does poorly so Des will have a nervous breakdown..:D
If Henne has a poor outing in what's projected to be clear weather against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL, this entire forum will have a nervous breakdown.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"SeanP wrote:
Josh Freeman only played the first quarter, if I recall, and never had to take a snap while in the mud.
I'm not saying Henne is excused for sucking it up entirely, but Josh Freeman hiked the ball on one side of the field, the less hazardous one.
If my memory is off feel free to correct me (It's very well possible).
You can't really draw any conclusion from Henne's performance individually from that game. The only thing you can really gather is that our team as a whole was/is NOT prepared for rain games.
Shhh....that kills the argument...lol
JS
The question in my mind is will Sparano have this team ready to play or will tony be playing mad scientist again? I'd dearly like to see the first team unit on the field together for the entire first half, THEN we'll get a better idea what we've really got.
2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

Patrick turner taking snaps out of the Wildcat throwing to Brandon Fields...
...or bust.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"jetssuck wrote:
Shhh....that kills the argument...lol
Exactly. Josh Freeman isn't an answer b/c he played the vast majority of his snaps somewhere other than the mud.
Reality is that we all want Henne to play better but if he hadn't had those drops then the resultant stats considering conditions would not have been complained about. Which was the point I was making.

"Desides wrote:
That was Mike Williams down the sideline. He beat Vontae on the deep ball. That reception advanced the Bucs to our side of the field with the dirt. From there, Josh Freeman threw a pass to a wide-open Stroughter who ran untouched into the end zone. I believe it was Chris Clemons who blew the coverage.
If Henne has a poor outing in what's projected to be clear weather against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL, this entire forum will have a nervous breakdown.
What did Henne do to play poorly in your eyes if the three catches were made?, because all three were good throws and catchable, in the slop.

"rafael wrote:
But that would be under pretty poor conditions (wet ball, muddy field) so I think Henne would have been given a bit of extra slack.
Josh Freeman played under the very same conditions and without a Brandon Marshall type, their WR's don't kick balls either, and he handled the wet balls, bad weather, and Mud by putting up 7 points during his time on the field. Slack is for wanna-be's so Mr. Henne gets none from me, its way passed time to poop or get off the pot!:wink2::lol:

This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

"gafinfan wrote:
Josh Freeman played under the very same conditions and without a Brandon Marshall type, their WR's don't kick balls either, and he handled the wet balls, bad weather, and Mud by putting up 7 points during his time on the field. Slack is for wanna-be's so Mr. Henne gets none from me, its way passed time to poop or get off the pot!:wink2::lol:
This is driving me nuts GA, what did he do ya'll?...he threw 11 passes completed 5, and his receivers dropped 3 that were right there.....8/11.....are some of you upset he didn't go perfect in the mud?

Yawn. That article is what I call a pathetic attempt to make a preseason game sound important.
"djphinfan wrote:
This is driving me nuts GA, what did he do ya'll?...he threw 11 passes completed 5, and his receivers dropped 3 that were right there.....8/11.....are some of you upset he didn't go perfect in the mud?
Some peeps just need something to talk (complain) about.
"gafinfan wrote:
Josh Freeman played under the very same conditions and without a Brandon Marshall type, their WR's don't kick balls either, and he handled the wet balls, bad weather, and Mud by putting up 7 points during his time on the field. Slack is for wanna-be's so Mr. Henne gets none from me, its way passed time to poop or get off the pot!:wink2::lol:
No, he didn't. Henne played just about all of his snaps in the mud. Freeman played almost all of his snaps on the grass.

"rafael wrote:
No, he didn't. Henne played just about all of his snaps in the mud. Freeman played almost all of his snaps on the grass.
Grass retains water too.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
Meh. You can make an argument either way. Footing is worse in the mud, makes it hard to dig and run crisp routes. It makes it hard for the o-line to maintain their blocks as long and typically, under those type of weather conditions, you don't tend to show a gameplan of going deep too often.
Oh, plus hiking the ball from the mud each time pretty much guarantees a sloppy ball with mud on it. Not the same as coming from the turf.
It also didn't help that Henne threw a swing pass to Ricky for negative yardage as well.
I don't care about the stats.
Henne needs to look good.
2 checkdowns to the fullback and 3 drops was sad.
We looked arguable worse, or as bad, as the 3rd worst team in football last year.
This game shouldn't have the weather conditions. No excuses.
Look sharp like the playoff team I believe they are.
