1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh Meat: Sports Buzz

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RoninFin4, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    It could be as simple as they wanted their five best guys on the field. They stuck Pouncey at RG to keep Satele on the field, maybe they moved James to LT so they could get Thomas out there. The result was ugly but who's to say the alternative would've been any better?

2. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Just sharing a few thoughts bro, for what it's worth.

I've gone back and focused on Thomas' guard play from early in the season and IMO it wasn't bad at all, especially for a 2nd year guy who's had to work at three or four positions already. If you disagree, cool. Have you gone back to watch his play though? And why the assumption that it's Philbin decision when and where to play him? We have an OC and OL coach who also have input. Lastly, I don't think it's fair to bash a guy who's struggling to play a position that he's perhaps I'll suited for. You make it sound like Fox is sooo much better, clearly the coaches disagree and let's be honest, at OT, you're either good or you're cheap, you can't be both, not in FA at least.

3. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Enough hyperbole.

What'd you think of his play @ RG vs Buffalo, KC and Oakland, or his play @ LG vs Jax, SD and Detroit?

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    As a guard I still think college was worse
    He killed so many drives

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Because the alternative was, very literally, better. Jason Fox was better. Billy Turner was better.

6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Couldn't get on the freaking field due to conditioning. Which I hope was due to injury issues and not work ethic. So frustrating.

7. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Different players have different strengths, no? Or are you saying they're better across the board?

8. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Time will tell. Last year people were asking why Thomas wasn't getting any snaps, now they want him off the team :lol:.

9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Doubt it was work ethic, dude seems really focused. Have you ever seen his Driven series on youtube? IIRC, he was injured about half the season and the other half he didn't get on the field because of Philbin's stubbornness.

10. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    No but I'd like to. Do you have a link?

I can't remember where I read that it was due to his failing to pass conditioning tests, not coaches decisions.

11. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    McCain played, Landry, Hoskins, James, Fede, Williams too. Turner is one of the few rooks that didn't play. How is that stubbornness on Philbin's part?

Are you saying that Benton and Lazor wanted Turner out there but were overruled by Philbin?

12. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil

Check it out, this is episode 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLFElGFtGc

You should see the links to the subsequent episodes on the side bar, if not just click on the All Def Digital channel and search for them there.

77FinFan likes this.
  13. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    It's stubbornness when you have a player getting consistently beat, and getting your QB almost killed on a weekly basis and fail to try out another player in his spot. There were reports that Turner was already healthy to play and tape from the preaseason where he played pretty well to justify trying him in there, he really couldn't have played any worse than Dallas Thomas.

14. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Thanks. Have to love the attitude. I think at minimum he is going to be a good guard for us for years to come.

Brasfin likes this.
  15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Flatly better. In virtually every measure.

16. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    In that scenario, sure. But is that what happened though? I know enough to know that things aren't always the wat they seem to outsiders like me. Coaches see all the preseason tape, mini/training camp, practices etc, they have a good idea of what each player can and can't do, no?

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If he did play him and he failed, it would be, "I can't believe Philbin played a small school rookie who missed the first half of the year with an injury while the playoffs were on the line."