1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Agents Rumors

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinFan_Est.1984, Feb 11, 2009.

1. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    With all of these rumors going around I thought it would be nice to have a thread that we could add them as they come up. It sure is turning out to be exciting with all of these possibilities surrounding the Fins.

_1. Canty interested in joining Parcells again
    _2. Dolphins interested in looking for a new Center (Brown, Saturday..etc.)
    _3. Dolphins possibly interested in Dansby (looks like Dansby will be tagged)
    _4. Boldin trade talks with the Fins
    _5. Asoumgua being sought by the Patriots :tantrum:
    _6. Will Dolphins make a bid for Dallas' Miles Austin?
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/16/will-dolphins-make-a-bid-for-cowboys-austin/

Lets see how many of these end up panning out. (Those that didn't will be in Italics)

Any thoughts?

2. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Definitley lots of potential moves happening. I really dislike even the thought of #5

Silverphin, TheAnswer385 and HULKFish like this.
  3. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Yeah it almost pained me to type those words. If the Pats land him I will throw up in my mouth.

PMZQ, The Aqua Crush and HULKFish like this.
  4. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    brandon27, PMZQ and FinFan_Est.1984 like this.
  5. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    anlgp likes this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

thank god for matt cassel and the franchise tag

PMZQ, Kanye West and SICK like this.
  7. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Amen to that! :up:

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Extremely unrealistic, but I'd love it if 1, 2, and 3 were to happen. I'd settle for any of those three by themselves.

9. The Aqua Crush

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Yeah that topic was being discussed on the Sirius NFL Red Zone show. As per the Wilfork situation where he's in the final year of his contract, and only making 800K.

It is true that the pats will have something like 22 free agents to resign after next year, and having 45% of your cap space in 5 players. But the issue may not be as big of an issue because 2010 is uncapped. So if they can get through 2009, the tight cap space in 2010 might not be an issue to resign some of the players who would be then set to hit the open market.

Should be intersting but not sure if their 2009 cap space would allow them a shot at Asoumgua this offseason. Their not in a great position right now thats for sure.

10. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    I heard about the Pats wanting him...they have less cap space than the Raiders. Then the 2010 free agents from the pats is like an all-pro listing of talent. If they sign him...they will lose 1 of the big names from the 2010 list. :)

I hope they do not sign him...but it would make their defense that much better.

11. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    They are going to get some really good picks out of Matt...that number will be gone before the draft starts.

They will have a ton of picks...:(

12. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

if that happens damn matt cassel and the franchise tag to hell.

it's a simple switch.

13. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    With you all the way...:knucks:

As long as the end results are the Pats, Bills & Jets suck.

14. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    3 AND 4 are the dream for me! At the least I'm hoping 3 though, he'd fit perfectly into our D! I'd even take 3 and Asoumgua to us over 4! I think the trifecta realize the seriousness of our situation though. We HAVE to get just as much better this offseason with the rediculous schedule we have!

15. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    IMO Saturday is too old. I'd go somewhere else there. A younger guy who has been in the league for about 4-5 years now. Maybe the player from Pittsburg.

16. lohink

lohink Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Bellwood, PA
    " the player in Pittsburgh" sucks thats why they are also looking for a center.

17. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Well the Canty rumor has resurfaced again. As it has been said before our DE position is one of our deepest. I would love to add Canty to the mix but i don't see us having that much $$ wrapped into it. He may be an upgrade but is it worth the money to get him. Only if Merling is being moved to OLB do I see this happening.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/13/canty-parcells-reunion-coming/

18. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    For the love of all Ive been saying for 2 years now WE NEED HIM!!!!!!!!!

Open the bank and pay the guy. hes young and awesome on a totally crappy team he would improve our defense by 7 points a game easily.

We can not have him in NE... I don't care what we do just do not let NE get him..

19. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    100% correct and by the way I love your Avatar!

20. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah but if Brady is gimpy and not able to regain his old form and Matt C is dealt they could stink worse than the Bills and Jets. :lol:

21. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    :) thanks yoru the first to comment was wondering if anyone got the joke..or even knew where it was from!

22. TonyDanza13

TonyDanza13 Keeper of Easter Eggs

Feb 2, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I would take Canty but the money he is looking for scares me a bit. I have heard he is looking for Tommy Kelly money....in the 50 million area if not more. I want to persue Bryant McFadden and Nate Washington. Midlevel FAs are what this FO loves.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think this could happen but it wont. We have a nice group along the front line already.

This will happen IMO but I'm not sure it will go through free agency.

I believe he's asking for the same money Pace got and we threw Pace a lot of money before he signed with the Jets. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up here but the franchise tag in Arizona is likely to be used on him in my opinion.

Possible but not going to happen IMO. I don't see us moving multiple high draft picks for a wide receiver, regardless of how good he is.

I think this could happen. I know someone pointed out the salary cap but I wouldn't be surprised to see them moving a draft pick for Asomugha.

24. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    The most realistic of the 5 is definately Dansby if he does not get tagged. He would be a great asset for us and I really hope he doesnt get tagged so F/A can be just that more interesting.

25. whatsburning

whatsburning Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Honoruru
    I see the Patsies sign NA, then trade Cassel or Brady for a 1st rounder... the rich get richer!

26. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Its fun to speculate but IMO none of the above scenarios are likely to happen for the Dolphins because this regime and particularly Jeff Ireland believes you build through the draft .

Jeff Ireland
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...s-tonight.html

That doesnt mean we wont be active in free agency but probably we wont be involved in some high profile signings which involves draft picks.

Rather we will try to reload and replace our free agents whose expectations are beyond the parameters that this regime has set for the corresponding positions.

Some one like LB Scott could be feasible

New Era and SICK like this.
  27. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Going thru the Draft is the best way to get playmakers and help your team. They are younger and cheaper but alot will come in and try as hard as they can to prove themself. Also they will come not in as a star and try learn everything they can. However some big signings don't hurt as long as you don't put your team in jeporady with cap and giving away picks.

CrunchTime likes this.
  28. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    New Era likes this.
  29. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I thought there was speculation that Brady may not be ready to start the season and could be out longer rehabbing from his injury? If this is the case they will need to hang on to Cassel. When Brady is healthy he is still one of, if not the best QB in the NFL and its hard to picture them trading Brady away.
    Does the Pats have any free agents this year they need to resign?

30. FinFan_Est.1984

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    The Patsies have a boat load of free agents.
    http://patriotsblog.net/2008/12/29/patriots-free-agents-a-quick-overview/

Onehondo and New Era like this.
  31. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    No one is going to be stupid enough to give up two # 1's.......are they ?!?!?!? :no:

late again likes this.
  32. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    I don't think they will get two 1st rounders for him. But I think San Fran or a team in dire need of a QB like them, will end up giving multiple picks for him...maybe a 1st & 3rd...

The Pats will have 2 1st rounders on draft day.

33. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Them trading Tome Brady. You have a better chance of Heidi Klum coming to your house and marring you. Then you would win a million dollars.

It is not going to happen.

HULKFish likes this.
  34. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I thought the franchise tag assured them of two 1st rounders ?!?!?!? :confused2:

35. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    I think that a player can be traded after the tag...for less than 2 1st rounders.

Not sure...but wasn't Jared Allen tagged and traded last year for the a 1st, 3rd & 3rd round picks?

The tag is mainly used to scare off suitors and make the player stay for at least another year. But if a team wants time to talk up trades, they just sit on him with the tag and continue to shop him.

PMZQ likes this.
  36. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    Yeah there is no chance that Tom Brady is traded. Even if they knew for a fact that his knee was never going to be the same, they could not afford the PR backlash from the fans & media for trading away ONE OF THE BEST QB's since DAN THE MAN.

...by the way...LOVE THE SIG of RB. :)

37. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    A player can be traded for less than the tag picks. The picks just make it unlikely a team will still go after that player.

I agree though, unless Brady is still badly off, Cassell will get moved for at least a 1st and NE will be picking twice in round 1 ... again.

38. The Aqua Crush

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    yeah i agree :up:

And to that note that color of Aqua on his jersey in the sig is unreal. I would love to see the dolphins use that shade of Aqua.

39. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    what i have heard that if Peppers hits the open market the dolphins would be a huge option for him he wants to move to a 3-4 Defense and play some OLB and i have heard he wants to play in miami also peppers is the only player Bp has compared to the one and only Lawrence Taylor

HULKFish and PMZQ like this.
  40. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Jesus H. ****ing Christ.

Just what New England needs, to fill their biggest f'ing void. :pity: