1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Agency Thread? Free Agency Thread.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Based on the fact that I think Martin is a talented player, hard worker, and fits the scheme. No reason he shouldn't be a serviceable starter.

2. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Even if they do those contracts, you're still talking about a lot of money not being spent.

3. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Or they want to carry over the saved cap till next year.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    So you're already declaring victory on the draft pick to where if he doesn't produce it must be the coaching staff's fault?

No way for it. I disagree.

5. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Right, but if you keep carrying the cap over, at some point it will constitute a pattern. This has happened for many years now.

6. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not declaring victory. The simple law of averages dictates that Jon Martin very well could become a bust. I'm just saying that the team needs to operate under the assumption that guys like Jon Martin will develop. He's no different than Ryan Tannehill.

MrClean likes this.
  7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Bingo.

The salary cap is freely transferrable. They structured a lot of these contracts to have low 1st year numbers and high 2nd year numbers. This is not accidental. It was a way of keeping the 2013 salary cap situation flexible in case an opportunity fell into their lap (which still might happen), and therefore allowing themselves the CHOICE over whether to 'borrow' against their future in order to fill present needs.

I've always said from the start the most important numbers are the average contract values. They've spent something like $42 million in average contract values. They entered with about that much salary cap space.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    So you think Jon Martin showed as much positive at his position as Ryan Tannehill did at his?

Again, no way for it, I disagree pretty strongly.

And why are we suddenly operating under the assumption that mid-2nd round picks have to be tried at left tackle? You're deliberately leaving no room in the in-between. Either he's protecting the franchise's blind side at left tackle, or they're not giving him a proper chance.

9. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No, he didn't show as much promise as Tannehill. But he doesn't need to. You don't need a top-10 LT. You do need a top-10 QB. I think that Ryan Tannehill will improve simply because of experience. I expect the same out of Martin.

MrClean likes this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then we have an average offensive line. I can live with that. You can't?

11. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    CK - at the time he was drafted, did you like the Jon Martin selection? You can't really hold it against Ireland if he's going into next year assuming Martin is playing one of the starting tackle positions. The guy had some rough patches last year but showed a couple of positives, and he still has that massive potential, the same potential that got him drafted, the same potential that many people felt Miami got with a later pick than he should have gone.

You're acting as if Martin is a bust already, and it's just as silly to me as declaring him a success. Still way too early.

12. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    The fins don't have 20 million under the cap to spend. Now, if you're talking 1 year deals than sure they have plenty of wiggle room but the way they structured their contracts they can't be giving out anymore lucrative, multi year deals. The dolphins have hardly been cheap. You can say they've been stupid over the years but not cheap.

13. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

This is going "out there," but another possibility is that he could be waiting for teams with RFAs to spend their money first, so that we can offer contracts that the host team can't match. Sam Shields would be a great target.

14. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Well, they technically have over 20 million left this year, but you're taking out rookies and emergency money for the season. If you carry over this money to next year, then you can use that rolloever towards the increase in players cap numbers like Mike Wallace and Wheeler alone.

15. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Its possible. I'm not saying I think they'll end up with a lot of money left. But if they do, then that would be a significant event IMO.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    A line full of JAGs is not going to be an average offensive line. And no I can't live with that.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I never said Jon Martin is a bust already. Never said that. You do me a disservice by over generalizing saying things like I am "acting like" I'm saying something. I say what I say. I choose my words carefully. If there's something I've said that you disagree with it by all means bring it up and point out your disagreement.

What I thought of the pick has nothing to do with this, to be honest. He was bad in 2012. No way for it. He was bad. Arguably as bad as Marc Colombo at right tackle the year before him, and that guy was run out of town on a rail. And people wanted to pretend that he got loads better at left tackle but that's not correct. He was actually worse in pass protection there. I'm just calling a space a spade.

All I'm saying, all I've ever said, is that Jon Martin has not SHOWN that he is deserving of being entrusted with the blind side. He was drafted in the mid-2nd, not the 1st round, and he wasn't drafted to be a left tackle. It ended up working out that way because Jake Long struggled this year and kept getting hurt. But Martin was viewed as a right tackle prospect by most evaluators, and he subsequently dropped into the mid 2nd round, because of his physical limitations. He hasn't done anything to poke any holes in that thesis. In fact, what he has done tends toward the opposite. He was bad enough that people that liked him coming out (self included) have to re-visit what they thought of him and come to grips with the possibility that they might have been wrong.

I don't understand why people don't really grasp the in-between here. It's like I'm saying the guy should be cut tomorrow and replaced. I've never said that. Never even came close to saying that.

PhinsRock and djphinfan like this.
  18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This might be the best catchphrase since El Jeffe.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It doesn't even make sense

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    C'mon man. I'm not just making stuff up. That is a very negative stance.

You still haven't explained how an average offensive line would not be made up of average offensive line talent and also be bad a bad thing.

Mile High Fin likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Because if an "average" unit were actually to be made up of "average" players in the way that you're using the term, it wouldn't be an "average" unit at all. It would be well below average. A line made up of Jon Martins and John Jerrys? That would be "average"?

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    4 average players make a below average line..and I'm the one.."substituting a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version"? So does a line made up of below average players equal Super Below average or is it cyclical and they make a great line?

Ok, fine, you win...."average" means "below average."

23. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    You say it won't doom our season but isn't the whole point of the off season to try to get the best possible team for us on the field come opening day?

24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That is not doom and gloom, nor sky is falling. It's questioning our philosophy.

When Ck says Ireland should be fired, we're going to be 1-15, throw the season away, fire the whole lot. <<<< That is doom and gloom and sky is falling.

Coral Reefer and ckparrothead like this.
  25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, but not at any cost and not every player available at a given position is the right fit.

Winston may fit from a talent standpoint, but he may not from a cost standpoint.

26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Does every thread have to turn into a pissing match? Agree to disagree, and move on.

27. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I just want to say, I don't think defensive end is a need. Although we could use a nickel pass rusher.

I think Tight End is a need, though. We need a Tight End like Travis Kelce.

28. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    those 3 units are pretty damn important. You could argue they're the most critical components of a team, behind QB of course.

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right tackle, the 2nd defensive end and a corner back are the most important parts of a team after QB?

30. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    what other positions would you rank higher in this era of football? You need to protect your QB so he can pass the ball, and you need to pressure the opposing QB and defend his receivers. I guess receiver is up there as well

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Left tackle is waaaaaay more important than right.
    Your main DE is waaaaaay more important than your 2nd DE.
    Safeties are waaaaaay more important than CBs.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    For one thing I disagree with isolating our need at the tackle position to a need for a RIGHT tackle. This implicitly assumes that left tackle is taken care of and I don't think that's an assumption anyone (including the Dolphins) should make. I've explained why. It has nothing to do with whether you were high on a guy coming out or not, has everything to do with how that guy has actually performed.

As things stand, Jon Martin was one of the worst offensive tackles in football in 2012. Should he get better? Sure. How much? That's the question. I am of the belief (along with many) that your best offensive tackle should be your left tackle if you have a right handed quarterback and a right handed offense. I think if you're left with questions about a guy then he should be playing right tackle. He needs to have shown you something before you trust your quarterback's blind side with him. IMO, he did not show what was necessary to be deemed trustworthy. I'm not saying he needs to be benched or replaced. To me, a good happy medium would be allowing him to continue at right tackle and try and get better.

What I believe I said was that the Dolphins have a glaring hole at OT1. I said it like that on purpose. As I said I believe your OT1 should generally be your left tackle. He should be your best guy. As an OT1, Jon Martin is VERY poor. Not "just a guy". Not "average". Very poor. That's what he was in 2012 and until you see the improvement you don't know if he'll be significantly better. So I don't even put Jon Martin at OT1. I put him at OT2. He was even a poor OT2 in 2012 but I think you can accept that on the HOPE (i.e. blind faith) that he'll improve. But entrust him with OT1 status on that blind faith? Not on my team.

So the Dolphins need a good tackle. They don't need some average guy who can't play left because he's not good enough for it. Manipulating the presentation of the need to such where we're only talking about a "right tackle" and since right tackles aren't often stellar in this league then it should be easy to acquire one, COMPLETELY glosses over the fact that you just took a 2 out of 10 and put him in a spot where most teams don't mess with anyone below a 6.

mi2cents, djphinfan, Desides and 2 others like this.
  33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    1. I agree
    2. I agree
    3. The NFL disagrees

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not all of the NFL disagrees. Walsh believed S was more important and I would guess that several of his tree agree.

Fin D likes this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm just going off the dollar figures which is about as objective as you can get.

36. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I see what you're saying, and I see what he's saying, he is talking about the units as a whole, you are talking about individual positions. So that's where the disconnect is coming from.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  37. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    And draft position?

38. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
  39. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I've edited

I think you're overestimating our holes, we have some areas to improve but our ONLY glaring hole is OT.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  40. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I remember reading about Vaughn Martin 4 years ago when many of you advocated for him. He went to school in Canada (Western Ontario) and many of you considered him a sleeper. Ironic Miami would be visiting with him today per rotoworld.com.