1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX TV just reported the NFL lockout is on!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Mar 12, 2011.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Women's beach volleyball.

2. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    The fact that the Marlins fleeced Miami is INCREDIBLY well documented (not florida, my bad). The Marlin's pitched to the city that they were in financial distress and needed help to build a new stadium.

Stadium coast: 642 million
    Cost paid by team: 142 million
    Cost paid by taxpayers: 500 million

After tax payers are getting stuck paying a 2 billion dollar tab to build a stadium for a baseball team was claiming to lose money every year.

http://deadspin.com/#!5619235/florida-marlins-financial-documents/gallery/6

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/25/1790865/outrage-simmers-over-marlins-stadium.html

As I said before, IF teams are really making what GB has made over the past couple years, then i agree that there IS a problem. However there's no way to verify their claims as they won't offer a shred of proof of being in financial distress. Therefore, I'm going to assume that they're a bunch of greedy old croonies who have no problem fleecing cities, fans, and now their employees.

I'm not anti-Capitalism, I understand turning a profit, I've posted at length on this board about how a 10 million dollar return on a 1 billion dollar team is really low, and should be addressed. My issue is that I'm not buying the owner's financial claims.

Ozzy likes this.
  3. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    that means you believe the players, the owners say they have so its a matter of what you believe cause we are not privy to that info

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    This country is f----d!!

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The one thing about Green Bay is that it's really not run to make a profit, nor to lose money. It is pretty much run to come out even because of the unique way it is set up. Its really hard to use them as a gauge. All I know is that football has been raking in ever increasing profits yearly, with team values absolutely skyrocketing. I think like all 32 are in the top 50 most valuable franchises in the world. 6 in the top 10. NFLs lowest value franchise worth more than the NBA and NHLs top etc. When you have that kind of stuff, it's really really hard to cry that your going broke when you refuse to back up your claim.

The other 31 teams have owners that are simply looking to enrich themselves, which is their right. As it is the right of the players to tell them to stuff it, and the right of us fans to call both sides greedy money grubbing whores and go tune in to MLB, the CFL, NHL, or just go play XBox or go to church instead. America will survive without football, its not irreplaceable, and the sooner the owners and players realize this and come to an accord the better.

daphins likes this.
  6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Mmmm...it means I agree with the players that I don't trust the owners to give me lip service about how much they're making, however I do deviate from a lot of the player's stances.

1. I think they need a smaller slice of the pie. 60-40 isn't a good deal for the business IMO. I think 50/50 is fair. If that means adding 2 games so that the players can continue to see growth, then so be it, but their stance of "never give anything back" is short sighted. if we all operated like that, then nothing would ever get done.

2. Rookie pay scale absolutely needs to be enforced

As I said, if the owners could prove that they were making as little as they say, you wouldn't get much of an argument from me on them getting the players to take a pay cut. But I understand the players telling them to cram it, and as history shows..I don't trust the owners.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I agree, except young man don't talk naughty about my JLo, or you may get my dander up.:tantrum:

:wink2: