1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those upset about Satele trade

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Shamboubou, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    GARDENHEAD likes this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    We did indeed end up with Hartline and Andrew Gardner as a direct result of the trade.

Other than that, I would say Grove has been mediocre at very best and needs to shore it up if we are gonna be succesful

3. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I wouldn't trust anything coming out of that team's FO or Coaching staff.

Yes we got possibly two good players but we also got a C that is injury prone and IMHO hasn't shown me squat yet.:wink2::angry:

jdang307, k-bayfinfan and like2god like this.
  4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    People were upset with that trade? Why?

Sceeto likes this.
  5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Their argument was that Satele and Grove were roughly the same size and weight and Satele was younger.

What I understand from CoachSpeak is that Grove plays with more leverage than Satele does.

At very least we got two players for Satele to which I'm pleased with.

If Grove ends up playing well we've got three and that's a huge trade that has gone real well for us.

The Rev likes this.
  6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    could say the same about Jake Long
    but that wouldn't be fair either :no:
    the offensive line needs to gel & step up collectively
    it may take a few regular season games to achieve
    but they will get there:up: By the end of the season:
    the Orca-5 will be one of the top five in the NFL :yes:
    GoFish!

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think some were upset because it now appears we got hosed on the Wes Welker deal. Not that I'm trying to spark that debate again, just pointing it out.

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    ignorance, nonsense... no comparison between Satele & Grove

about Grove:

1) he notched a POA winning percentage of 90.6% while allowing backs to gain 6.2 yards per attempt behind his blocks. And Grove didn’t need a lot of help either. The ex Raider went one on one with defenders 67.5% of the time in 2008, far more frequently then either Matt Birk (39.9%) or Jason Brown (60.3%)."
    2) was an All-American Center, a high 2nd round draft pick, a team captain, had an extremely successful college career filled with accolades & promise
    3) he was high on Parcells list of people to draft when he was with the Cowboys. the FrontOffice know him well. I think there is @ least the possibility that he can be one of the best of the best. We shall see.
    4) has had a reasonable preseason & is well on the way to developing the chemistry needed to lead our offensive line, something Satele, along with his inability to handle the bigger NT's one on one, could never do.

Grove is the Orca in the middle to get the job done

9. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, we will see.
    At this point, Grove better get better SOON or he will be replaced, and quickly.

After watching and re-watching all 4 preseason games, one thing REALLY stood out, we couldn't run up the middle to save our lives. Even the succesful runs were Ricky killing himself for a couple of extra yards.
    I never saw Grove take on a second man, and often saw him completely un-engaged to any defender.

Not saying he won't improve, but I am saying he better do lots of it and very damn quickly. They don't have till week 6 to gel. By that time we will be chasing the leaders.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

link?

11. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    These were KC Joyner's statistics.

Stitches likes this.
  12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I can vouch for this. I saw them in SI iirc. But I definitely saw them.

13. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, I have seen those stats.

Well now Grove has 2 VERY good guards flanking him, but isn't getting thew job done.

I am still happy about the trade simply because of the 2 guys we ended up because of it.

Grove could indeed improve, but thus far he isn't any better than Satale was.

We will see what takes place

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The job hasn't started yet.

Phins28, Stringer Bell and Stitches like this.
  15. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think there are/were some misconceptions regarding Grove coming over here. I think people looked at the stats above and the fact he is known as a physical player and took it to mean that he regularly uproots and drives players off the ball.

djphinfan and mbmonk like this.
  16. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    The Raiders played the AFC East last year, so the Trifecta has gametape of Grove vs Jenkins, Wilford,... whoever Buffalo has (assuming those NT's weren't hurt and played). So I am pretty trusting that the staff knew what they were getting with Grove.

17. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well you kinda left out the whole MILLIONS OF DOLLARS thing and the fact that thus far we've never seen a push up the middle from either...:shifty:

Not that I wanted to keep Satele....he was like a giant rag doll out there

18. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I watched the Raiders against NYJ, NE, and BUF last season after we traded for Grove. He looked very good.

This pre-season he didnt impress. But at the same time I have a hard time putting stock into any pre-season performance. If Grove can handle NTs without help, that will satisfy me.

19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Job is year round. Or else people wouldn't have been fired already ;) :lol:

azfinfanmang and mullingan like this.
  20. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think you need to tone down your responses some.. this was unecessary.

PhinsRock, azfinfanmang and Stitches like this.
  21. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Lemme see, if the Raiders aren't starting Satele, either it means its the Raiders and he's probably better than we all thought. OR: its the Raiders, which means Satele was really much worse than we thought. :lol:

I tend to think its a little bit of both.

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I love it how Grove hasn't done anything and there hasn't been a real game yet ?? Seriously, who really cares about Satele at this point. I could care less if he was an all pro so long as Grove does his job for us. But, we can't go around bashing Grove since he hasn't had the chance to do anything for us because there hasn't been any real games yet !

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If one is going to post those kind of things, the article they came from needs to be linked so the original author is credited. I knew exactly where they came from, but was asking where is the link to KC's article. We don't have the right to cherry pick pieces of various articles and then post them like they were our own original thought.