1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the Tavon Austin Fans

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by KB21, Mar 2, 2013.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;T3_UNFZHSQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T3_UNFZHSQU[/video]

2. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;_ZGneG7UMZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_ZGneG7UMZY[/video]

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  3. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;i09R28AWgFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i09R28AWgFU[/video]

4. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;RCryMRiUWIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RCryMRiUWIY[/video]

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;sFK3x31vne0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sFK3x31vne0[/video]

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Kid has special vision in the open field, special speed, posted a 10 yard average with just over a hundred carries..just for kicks.

Never missed a game, high school, or college..lil ironman.

Legit first round pick, would take him over Bailey..

Quickest way to raise RTs qbr ten points.

ToddPhin and MrClean like this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    After watching the first video I realize, that Stedman Bailey is the closest thing to Hines Ward I've seen when it comes to blocking as a receiver. God I want him to be a Dolphin.

Boik14, Da 'Fins, sports24/7 and 2 others like this.
  8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    There is no one that I've seen in this draft who can move like Austin, what a combination of speed and quicks, instant acceleration. You can see in the beginning of the Harvin clip the big difference- he's built like a brick s*** house. 5-11, 192 and muscle on top of muscle. As much as I like Austin, I still have to ask myself- if TY Hilton was a late 3rd rounder, how high should Austin go? I still don't know.

Bpk and djphinfan like this.
  9. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    Where is the value at? Take Austin at 12 or Ryan Swope with our late 2? You can't have them both but I do think you can have one and still keep Bess. I want one of the two to play a jordy Nelson position, but don't know which one.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Why not?? I think you can have both certainly.

Da 'Fins, PhinishLine, Alex13 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    Because I think they would both excel in the slot. How many slot receivers do u want?

12. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Swope can play outside just as well.

sports24/7 and ToddPhin like this.
  14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Because you have confidence that both are going to very good players, and you don't stray from that because of some philosophy that doesn't involve hitting on all of your draft picks, pick great football players, worry about the other sh&$ later, skip on a sure fire hit because of scheme related issues, you will eventually lose out..

Same thing with Dion Jordan..passing on him because you have a Burnett or a Misi or you think he's not scheme friendly is a mistake.

Ryan swope is over 6 feet tall btw.

ToddPhin likes this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just look at C's sig pic when it comes to his body.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You know this draft could set up for a big shock the world type scenario if Ireland has the balls to do so..Ross has been barking offense, and excitement, and fast paced tempo sh&$

You wanna fu&$ with the world, your fanbase..don't sign Hartline or Fasano.

Drop in the draft..

1) Eifert...give him the completeness, the speed to get down the seam, and forget about it for the next 8 years..

1) Austin..don't need to explain

2) Stedman Bailey, contunuity rains all over that sh&$hole sunlife

3) Ryan Swope...make it rain *****..

3) Badger..fu&$ everyone, and the diaz brothers, give the stud a chance.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Austin in your sig, See the thickness in his hips, very good sign, good strength resource...not some tapered bull****, this kids got power.

ToddPhin and ATLFINFAN like this.
  18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I didn't realize that was Austin- he looks bigger than I thought, upper and lower body. makes more sense as to why he was so durable not only as a WR but as a RB.

djphinfan likes this.
  19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sure does don't it..

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'll say this, I don't believe Austin is a fit....but I'm a football idiot like many fans. Unless there's been a major rift between Ireland and Philbin, I doubt we draft anyone that isn't Coach Joe Approved®. So, if we draft him, that means Philbin wants him and I'll become a 100% huge Austin fan, because I heart Joe and I trust him in all things other than hair growth and tanning.

I'd be all in on drafting Austin, Bailey & Swope. I am also not a GM.

21. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Why? I think he's an outstanding fit. Intelligent; seems like a good kid & teammate; has proven he can handle a large responsibility; gains quick separation; good hands; already runs good routes; has the underlying ability to run solid routes from any position; has versatility (which Ireland loves); is a playmaker (which has been said by Philbin & Ireland is needed).

MrClean likes this.
  22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    my point was that scenario is very possible with our resources, we could go full metal jacket on this mother and spend 4 out of 5 picks on offense..I see it as very plausible, and those three payers would be attainable in those selections..you can change your payers up if you want...like Eifert..Austin...Woods would be fine as well, that's a shocking scenario as it related to rebuilding an offense, but very plausible, and very needed..we need to completely change the dynamics and parts of this offense..this is the year to do it, and I say that because its unlikely my favorite defenders will be there at 12, so might as well baby.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I can't find an analogy that fits, and I love Fin, but that's such a ridiculous statement to me as it relates to the game of football, if a coach can't coach that dude, then you don't want that coach.

ToddPhin likes this.
  24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Our offense desperately needs playmakers. Passing on Austin with the mentality Swope can do the things Austin can is wrong IMO. If you pass on Austin at 12 you're making a conscious choice to pass on the value of an elite playmaker, period. There's no consolation at 2b that can make up for that.

MrClean likes this.
  25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    *if a coach can't coach that dude*

fix yo word, dummy. :p

.... and yes, I agree. Great point, Deej. Anyone who lacks the vision and creativity to utilize the awesomeness of Tavon doesn't deserve to be our coach.

MrClean likes this.
  26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The better one- Tavon.

However I don't see why at Swope's measurables he can't play on the outside, and he'll obviously spend some time in the slot, especially in 4+ WR sets.

MrClean likes this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I admitted I could be wrong.

You and Todd are acting as if this guy is GOAT though. Its as if the more people who are unsure you guys believe in him even more. I'm not saying he wasn't brought up before, but you'd think you'd two would have been this effusive about him prior to this week. It seems a little.....much.

Stringer Bell and Anonymous like this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Otay..

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm debating in the context that this guy is to small, doesn't fit the offense, is a part time player, the more I hear, the more it sounds silly to me relative to what he brings to the table..

I've heard things from our front office that have made me think that completeness will be sacrificed for playmaking ability.

30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's ridiculous. I've been a Tavon fan ever since watching him torch Clemson 2 seasons ago and have been vocal about him since September. Advice- perhaps you should visit the draft thread a little more often and gain a better understanding of the draft process before deciding to criticize our method or conviction.

Apparently you don't understand how the whole draft process works. Just like Mike Mayock and every other drafnik/analyst, we spend the regular season watching games and developing initial opinions on players; then after the season we put those players under a microscope and break down their game. It's like this every year with every player. Our conviction level for the kid is increasing b/c now that the season is over we've had more time to break down his game. Have you watched and dissected every bit of film available to arrive at your opinion <that he's not a good fit>? Well I have, but I obviously couldn't do that DURING the year (which also involves comparing him to the competition) b/c the season hadn't fully played out yet, there wasn't enough free time to do so while also watching games, not all the film was available on him, post season all-star games (Senior Bowl etc) hadn't been played, and the Combine hadn't taken place.

Look at Damontre Moore. How many people are finally saying he's not the top 10 talent originally believed? That's b/c they're just now putting his game under a microscope and seeing his on-field production in the SEC doesn't quite match his ability. CK and I already arrived at this conclusion a couple months ago, and I've been just as adamant about Moore being overrated as I am about Tavon being a great fit for our offense, and that's b/c I spent hours breaking down as much film on him as possible. Ditto with my conviction for Ziggy Ansah. The only difference with Tavon is I didn't break down his film until after those other guys. I think the disconnect here is you spend little to no time watching players (perhaps a once through of a youtube clip), so your conviction level will obviously be significantly less.

MrClean likes this.
  31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'll try this again.

You and DJ are acting as if this is the best can't miss prospect in the history of the league. No, Todd, you didn't come out and say he's the best ever...I said you are acting like he is.

To have the level of exuberance and assurance you 2 have, you'd think this was a guy everyone would have thought was a can't miss for awhile and not require a whole lot of breakdown....like he was the Luck of WRs.

Anonymous likes this.
  32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Look, is there a risk drafting Austin? Yes, just as there's a risk with drafting the other two top receivers this draft, Cordarrelle Patterson & Keenan Allen (and even your guy Stedman Bailey). Even when you think there isn't a risk there can still be a risk, see #4 pick "can't miss" Aaron Curry.

Have you ever though that perhaps we're more "exuberant" b/c we know most of the argument against him comes from people like yourself who superficially take one look at his size and how he was used at WVU and say, "eh this guy isn't a fit and is too much of a risk", without ever actually breaking down his game? We grow more outspoken b/c the more detailed we get about Tavon and his potential in our offense the more you guys refuse to provide anything more than the same short answers you've been saying from day 1, that he isn't a fit and is too small (can't beat press & injury risk).

That statement doesn't make any sense. His elite playmaking ability has NEVER been questioned, and if Tavon were 6'0 he's likely in the running for the #1 overall pick.

Every year there are plenty of top talents who don't present themselves as such until the film is broken down, and what you're failing to realize is, in this year's draft class that's weaker at the top, there really are no "can't miss" prospects at #12 unless you're looking at Lane Johnson happening to fall or taking the guard Jon Cooper. All these guys available at 12 come with concerns. Call Rhodes play under control? Will Jarvis Jones' stenosis be a problem? Can Cordarrelle Patterson learn this offense and the nuances of the position? Will Lotulelei have heart problems? Will Keenan Allen be able to separate well enough in the NFL to be an impact player? Austin's size would obviously be an issue for many players, and upon first glance, the way he was used at WVU can easily lead a person to believe he's not a top WR prospect, but when you break down his film it's easy to see he IS a receiver through and through rather than just a running back catching passes. Because of his elite playmaking ability and the fact that size is less of an issue in the slot, I think Tavon's floor is higher than many of the #12 pick candidates while also possessing a high ceiling potential.

MrClean likes this.
  33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'll try this again Fin, if you feel Austin isn't a good fit for our offense, can you please explain why you feel that way rather than diverting the debate off topic?

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's always in the context of this years draft, excitement that is..it's a steady progression as the offseason progresses, the combine confirms and excites because you didn't really know the raw speed that was about to happen, elite speed in a package like that, when your confident about some other things, is exciting, so maybe your seeing a bit more fervor because of that, but we have a need, and resources, to fill a position with a player that we've never quite had before, also, I would take him over Patterson so you might be picking up a bit of defense for the player, because I know I'm alone on that one, or at least in a small minority..

Lets just say for fun sake, that Tavon Austin's skillset will translate to the NFL and be just as effective...tell me another player that has ever put on our uniform that could compare to that?... That's exciting, the work on the player has been done, I for one am very confident that your going to see the same player, why the hell wouldn't I be excited about having a player on our team that we've never had?

It's also exciting when you think you've identified something that the majority does not believe...Like Kaepernik..Russelll Wilson, and that you might be able to get said player with great value, which is the ultimate in the game.

ToddPhin likes this.
  35. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    It's almost as if it were 2007 and you've watched a guy run 4.28 in the 40, and watched his college highlights, and they were awesome. Ted Ginn Jr.

36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Tavon at 12 is way overdrafting... highly speculative that he will be able to succeed playing on the perimeter at all.

If he does play outisde as well as the slot, then he's worth it. But it's a total guess.

Those with conviction that he can do it may be right. It's a gamble, but if you're right what a great weapon he'll prove to be.

Anonymous likes this.
  37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You're a genius. Why isn't ESPN knocking on your door?!

Triggercut likes this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Your first mistake is that you think I have an issue with his size.

And again, you're acting like he's Luck. Luck didn't need his plays broke down and dissected to merit this level of exuberance. Its actually that sudden and rapidly increasing level of praise that is got me questioning this player.

39. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    There's your mistake. Ginn's problems weren't physical, they were/are mental.

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You don't change you're entire system for one player other than a QB. I'm a big Austin fan, but if he's only a slot guy and you spend your time forcing the ball to him instead of spreading it around then the rest of the offense will suffer. In general most teams have maybe a couple hundred plays they use regularly. Their playbook may have a 1000, but the bread and butter is more limited. The team practices those over and over to get their execution down. It's basically what Lombardi did but the Pack had maybe a dozen plays. Most defenses can learn to identify those plays so offenses counter that by varying formations and personnel to disguise the plays. Philbin's system seems to move the receivers as a method of disguise. That requires the receivers to know all three positions including the checks. One reason our offense struggled last year was that the receivers didn't know the checks. Hartline did and that was why RT went to him so often. It's not just about adding playmakers. It's about adding playmakers that complement each other and fit in the system. Look, I like Austin in that he's explosive and appears intelligent, reliable and a good team mate, but I'm not going to ignore that he may be limited on the perimeter. Football is a team game. It's about pieces working together. Personally, I'm torn on Austin. I love watching him play, but I don't know how he fits in a system that relies on every receiver being able to play all three positions. His size doesn't bother me in terms of injury risk. I think he's built solidly enough. My question is whether he has the versatility this system demands. If I were making the decision on him I would bring him in and run him through a workout from all three WR positions. I'd have a CB there to press him. I'd also be asking a ton of questions about what he should do given different coverages. If I did draft him, there would be some plays designed for him, but mostly I'd expect him to beat one on one coverage within the system. If he's doing that then he'll be targeted plenty without having to design plays to force him the ball.