1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football Future's Mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DraftBoy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/nflmockdraft.html

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Would LOVE that pick if he plays and works out to his potential.

3. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'd be ok with it but I would really love to get Crabtree.

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Yay another OLB :pity:

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Another? :confused2:

6. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Like we have so many great ones...

I'd love the pick, I'd hate the draft position though.

7. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Fine another DE/OLB hybrid yay.

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I call BS on half the picks in that mock. Most notable: Tebow coming out as a junior? What? Runner up: Michael Oher as the #1 overall pick and best OT in the class? What?

Anyway, I would prefer Malcolm Jenkins to anyone save Rey Maualuga.

9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Give me a CB or ILB.

10. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    In this system I'd be very disappointed if we took an ILB with such a high pick.

11. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I wouldn't.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Maualuga would be great if we miss out on Jenkins. That said I think if we go LB, it'll be OLB.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  13. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He would almost be wasted entirely.

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What's the problem? It's a 3-4. Linebackers of ANY kind are essential. If you move your OLBs up to rush the passer, you need quality ILBs to help cover the short routes and stop the run. It's fine if you think we need a pass-rushing OLB more than a run-stopping/pass-covering ILB, but let's not get carried away and paint ILBs as a waste.

15. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007

Yeah San Fran wasted a pick on drafting Willis. The Pats also made a HUGE mistake taking mayo.

Desides likes this.
  16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Well, at #10, sure... :lol:

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The Pats did. The 49ers play a different 3-4 than we do.

Our ILBs take are washed out of plays far more often than any other 3-4. It's the least important position by far in the Bill Parcells two gap 3-4.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Any kind of LB would be a plus, but we're not going to be that bad this year.

19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No I doubt we will be.

Also I would not be surprised if we somehow were able to snag Terell Suggs with a grand offer.

That could be incredible for us as far as options go in the draft if we were able to cover up ROLB quickly. All you really have to do to get him is cut Joey Porter and make some inflated offer for the first year and he's yours.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I would be surprised if we wanted him.

21. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Same, I always thought he was a bit overrated with some inflated stats.

Wonder if we look at a guy like Little Animal at OLB spot? Or maybe even Cushing?

Depends some on where we eventually end up I guess.

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    We went after Calvin Pace with his one year of productivity with a boatload of money. Why would we not go after Terell Suggs whose best position is OLB and not DE?

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I have a feeling he'll demand more money than we're willing to pay him, exactly like Pace.

A bunch of Baltimore's LBs, Ray Lewis and Bart Scott included, are apparently free agents next year. So it's likely Suggs won't be back in Baltimore, but I don't see him coming here. I think some team will overpay for him. Maybe the Cowboys; Zach only signed a 1-year deal.

24. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm hopeful at least in some sense because Roth seems to have taken on his role at SOLB fairy well. We'll see how Porter does at ROLB along with Moses and determine things based off of that.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I wouldn't be comfortable dismissing need at LB because of Matt Roth's preseason performance. It'd be nice, though: opens the door nice and wide for Malcolm Jenkins. Corner is an understated need.

26. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Hopefully he translates it to regular season.

27. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Cornerback is a need to be sure but if we were to retain Will Allen and then add Malcolm Jenkins while maintaining the safety core we've actually built a very good secondary.

This defense is not THAT far away. The offense is on the same note but possibly even more advanced.

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm hoping for a starting corner tandem of Will Allen and Malcolm Jenkins. We'll need to extend Allen a couple of years, though. Around 2010/2011, draft another corner high, and then when we're ready to let Allen go (or if his age mandates that he take a reserve role) Malcolm Jenkins becomes our #1 guy and the new kid is the #2.

29. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Everything becomes that much easier when you have the offensive line, quarterback, and the defensive front seven complete.

Drafts actually become fun when you can debate "OMG Desides I can't believe you don't want this guy to be our third WR in the first round"- "Jaj you're a moron we should be drafting a TE to replace Fasano to give Henne a downfield TE target".

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    :lol: Ain't that the truth!

I have a sneaking suspicion our draft will tilt towards the defense next year, though. I'm not sure why, but I think we're on the lookout for another DT and/or RDE, definitely a linebacker or two, and a corner.

WR may have to wait, or might be addressed in free agency. (Or through trade. Mr. Boldin, please come to Miami. Mr. Boldin...)

31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles

DT I can see, but RDE? Really? That's our position of greatest depth right now. A corner definitely, a linebacker for sure, safety I hope not.

The offense is further along in its rebuilding than the offense although these clever little moves Parcells has made have said a total defensive rebuilding effort from being necessary. Ayodele, Ferguson, Langford, Andersen, the revival of Roth, Crowder, Porter to some degree, and Soliai. Stuff like that has made it possible to do this project far faster than the old, ok we can get two needs in this draft in the 1-2 and hope we can get this done by year four rebuilding process.

It'll be interesting though if Parcells actually takes a CB over a DE/OLB next year. Then again he doesn't really take linemen that unbelievably high. I think he's less of a predictable man than people think. Everyone and their mother were guessing it would be Chris Long this year.

Next year, I have a sneaking suspicion we will see a CB and go with our roster of Porter, Andersen, Moses (he is the successor at the moment, but we'll see), and Roth (down at 260 LBs). It goes against what we know of Parcells but if we've learned anything with this team is that they like to fill holes with solid, affordable players. The Dolphins are being rebuilt in a different way then the Cowboys were with their major stars and random spots where they're weak (no one cares to mention that they have a major hole at NT with two undersized guys). Instead they ooh and ahhh at DeMarcus Ware being on the defense and Pac-Man Jones. You won't have that on the Dolphins. You have the proper guys at their proper positions. If anything the team that the Dolphins are starting to take on the image of is the old Dolphins from the 70s in that the players on that team were all fairly good but not incredible, especially on defense.

I'll take the team with the sheer lack of holes anywhere over the team with ten Pro-Bowlers and a glaring problem right up the middle.

32. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Not to mention that wide receiver also looks quite good for next year especially in the top five guys.

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Holiday isn't getting any younger. The youth movement on offense is pretty much done; time to finish clearing out the defense. When Langford succeeds Holiday, someone has to be behind Langford.

If we go CB, OLB, WR, and DT in the first four rounds next year, I will not be surprised. Not necessarily in that order, though.

I was kind of hoping for Glenn Dorsey. Oh well... :lol:

34. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Langford won't be succeeding Holliday though. It'll be Merling at this point replacing Holliday.

LE- Langford, Starks
    RE- Merling, Wright, Dotson

I do remember your Dorsey love. It was warranted though.

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not sure Merling stays on the defensive line. I think he moves to LB at some point.

He looks horrible in Chiefs colors. I wish the Saints had gotten him.

36. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I can't see Merling moving anymore after gaining this much weight though.

37. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Merling was very adamant pre-draft about his desire to remain a DE, and not move to OLB. He should be an amazing DE for you guys in a year or so, I was quite jealous of that pick.

38. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Well, guys, Merling played linebacker for the second half of the third preseason game. They're serving crow until 5 PM in the lobby. :up:

But really, we're going to address linebacker somehow. Ideally we'd bring in a major free agent for the interior and then draft a stud pass-rusher for the outside. Hell, maybe Jerry Jones will trade DeMarcus Ware to us.

39. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    If they move him, imo its a big mistake. He is an all-around DE who plays very well against the run with his hand down. Moving him to LB neutralizes that to some degree. Would be a bad move imo.

40. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If the Porter issue is serious enough though, we will need him at OLB to try and get some pressure, unless someone else can fill that void. Parcells OLBs do tend to be a bit larger though, so even though he might not have his hands down all the time, it still might be a good fit for Merling, we will see.

Getting DeMarcus Ware would be incredible, but I dont see how unless we mortage a big part of our draft.