1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flynn:this will be all about a fair contract

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Mar 16, 2012.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    with Flynn this should be all about a fair contract to both sides.
    bring him in to compete for the start, not for a coronation. this guy is a good prospect who has not made his NFL bones as of yet. hopefully, he is moving up from back-up to starter. he has something to prove. let him compete & pay him according to his success, not promise.

"I guess what I'm asking is for the Dolphins to hold their desperation in check. Everyone understands they probably (and I continue to say probably until it's official) are not getting Manning. But getting Flynn isn't the same kind of animal.

With Flynn it's not just about getting him to come. As a relatively unproven player, he has to come at the right price -- for the team."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...s-important-as-getting-him.html#storylink=cpy

Ireland get to work!

2. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Again, I truely believe it will be a reasonable contract who ever he signs with, obviously his agent wants to get the most he possibly can....but signing here with Philbin would make contract negotiations alot easier.

Again.... he really has no grounds to ask for anything Kolb-like.

I'm all for competition..... but if We pay Flynn to come here i'm 99% sure he starts... period..... The FO publicly expresses a bit of dislike with Moore at the helm... thats the way it is.... Hell I like Moore.... but thats just the way things are.

Sleepy likes this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I'm not in the Moore camp or on the Flynn bandwagon
    having said the
    I think most people were very pleasantly surprised with Moore's late entrance to the season. he proved he can win games & showed potential. Flynn would have the advantage of knowing how the coach works an offense. Moore would actually have the advantage of time played not only in Miami but in the NFL. who is really the better QB?
    Competition is the Elixir of Success! let them compete.

draft Tannehill or Weedon to groom for the future of the franchise. :up: end the QB debacle in 2012

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, well any leverage we had with Flynn is pretty much gone now... I mean, assuming Philbin is on the boat to get Flynn, and now that Manning definitely not coming here, he's our last gasp and he surely knows it...that is IF he leaves Seattle...

5. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

I hate the jets as much as the next guy, but, I have to admire the way they stand behind sanchez even though he's not great. I have yet to see the dolphins stand behind any of their guys, that's a big part of the teams performance issues IMO. Offer flynn a fair deal, if he doesn't jump at it let's stand behind Moore 100% and he'll get us to the play-offs, no doubt. He's gonna get better, it's gonna help not having his "number 1 reciever" dropping over 52% of his readzone passes.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We have plenty of leverage with Flynn. Only two teams have showed interest. We have a system & coach he knows.

Sleepy, Bulldog and gafinfan like this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, its admirable they'll stand behind a guy who sucks so bad his teammates hate him.

Sleepy, first&goal and Bulldog like this.
  8. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Would you rather have tim tebow?I have a bad feeling that if we don't get flynn ross will trade for tebow just to fill the stadium if the broncos get manning.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    back to Flynn:
    this is why he was drafted in the seventh round. worth a look. how much has changed?
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/matt-flynn?id=367
    my country GrandMother used to say: "can't make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear"
    just don't want to put lipstick on a pig & proclaim him the Franchise QB

let him compete with Moore & pay him accordingly, then draft Tannehill or Weedon to groom for the future

to answer your question straight up without qualifiers:
    personally, I think Tebow would be as good a prospect as Flynn

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I believe we have plenty of leverage with Flynn as I see both Tannehill and Weedon as great prospects. And I believe that the Dolphins have been showing the opposite of desperation with Flynn. This will be a welcome change from the vibe during the Manning chase. Hopefully, that bullet has been completely dodged.

Fin D likes this.
  11. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I understand your opinion, it's just not realistic.

To elaborate more.... Again, on the 2nd or 3rd thread just like this that you have made, Competition is a good thing... no one is arguing that, but the fact remains that the FO has publicly been against Moore at the steering wheel... Maybe they might change with the Philbin plan? I don't know. but thats just the way it is atm.. Realistically if we sign Flynn... odds are he is just going to be the starter...

No one in this fanbase wants a pseudo-franchise QB just as you don't...... and I don't know why you keep bringing up this 7th round BS though, its irritating, frankly............ and TBH not relevant in the least.

and as far as Tebow goes....................................................Well..................

I'm not even sure how to reply to that statement............

I tend to find Quarterbacks that have a hard time doing tasks such as ........throwing a ball ......usually have a bigger downside than up.

Edit: lots of edits. Also.. I agree grooming a rook qb is a good thing... just as is hosting a competition at the position..... does that mean we WILL do it? given the circumstances thus far into the post season? Magic 8-ball says not likely

gafinfan likes this.
  12. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Haha hey, it works out well for us.

13. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

While we disagree on the state of Mannings arm, I totally agree with you on how we have played the Flynn game. Knowing that Philbin called and talked to Flynn (as reported by PBP) on Monday after talking to Manning I feel they have a plan in place and the only desperate people are some Fin Fans who require instant gratification to remain happy.

I considered the Manning race to equal the Fisher run, yes the owner would like to have him but was/is also more than willing to trust his FB people! Why else pay them to run that side!

As for Tannehill at 8 I just don't see it in the works, Weeden maybe later if we can trade down, I feel that Flynn was their 1A plan all along.

first&goal likes this.
  14. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Pay the man. Giving him a 5-6 year contract that pays what the average starting QB makes sounds about right.

No need to insult Flynn and tell him he is competing for the starting job. The job is his. Add pieces around him that fit the system.

15. canesz06

canesz06 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    How is the job his? He hasn't proven anything in this league

16. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Its more along the lines of that he is Philbins boy and that again, the FO publicly announced they dont think Moore is the QB for them

We are playing the odds with the assumption that Flynn would start off the bat. they are good odds tbh