1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Sports Buzz

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    • We hear the Dolphins are concerned about offensive tackle depth behind Jake Long and Vernon Carey and are looking at outside options. Nate Garner was put on injured reserve, Andrew Gardner has struggled and Lydon Murtha is mediocre.

• Though Charles Grant has had some good moments in practice as a pass-rusher, he's due a $250,000 bonus if he's on the 53-man roster for the opener. That -- plus a $755,000 salary -- is a lot to pay for a team's seventh defensive lineman; Ryan Baker or Lionel Dotson is cheaper. Skilled run-stopper Marques Douglas, due a $145,000 bonus for being on the roster in Week One, is needed as depth behind Jared Odrick.

• One Dolphins coach has talked up John Nalbone's potential, but another has told people he must show more in games. A strong case can be made to keep two tight ends (Anthony Fasano/David Martin) instead of three. . . . The staff loves receiver Marlon Moore -- one mentioned his smooth route-running and quickness -- and nobody would be surprised if he's the No. 4 receiver. . . . The team needs to keep a fourth inside linebacker because of Channing Crowder's injury -- Bill Parcells told Micah Johnson he likes the way he plays; Austin Spitler and J.D. Folsom have ground to make up. Outside linebacker Charlie Anderson could move inside if needed.

• Will Allen, off knee surgery, remains optimistic about being available for the opener or very early in the season, though it's a fluid situation. . . . Karlos Dansby said Dolphins fans should not worry about the pass rush because the team has shown ``less than 20 percent of the defense'' in preseason games.

``You will see a much different defense in the regular season. Please believe me. There is no concern about the pass rush. We will get to the quarterback.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/...ow-canes-say-miller-poised.html#ixzz0yJBFVbfp

derek and The Aqua Crush like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True about Charles Grant's contract, but he has been the second best De in the preseason, hands down, and the only one who can generate pressure from the base defense.

Baker is versatile, Dotson has never shown up during the regular season.

3. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    again color me confused as why it is even a question to keep grant. he has been one of the best DL on this team since he got here, and we're talking about a guy who gets sacks and has a salary of under one million. :up:

Pay him that paltry salary all day long as far as I'm concerned. :)

Pandarilla likes this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think the back up tackle is currently on our roster.

Grant has been very good this preseason. I hope we can keep him on the roster.

I can see only keeping two TEs. Frankly, I think only two have earned it.

I'm not worried about the pass rush.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't believe any of it, except for Will Allen will start in game one

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm surprised that Grant is a question mark for the roster, after everything he's done this preseason. I would absolutely like to keep Ryan Baker...but Grant seems a good pass rush presence when facing Guards.