Florida Sports Buzz Dolphins news

54 replies

JIjim1New MemberOP
May 8, 2010, 10:38 PM

Although Pat White is likely No. 4 behind the Chads and Tyler Thigpen, Pennington said White's accuracy has improved. ``I've been on the field to see it,'' he said. ``He's throwing better. He has some tools. It's a matter of putting it all together.'' . . . CBS' Rich Gannon said the White package needs diversifying to work: ``I don't think Pat White scared anybody running between the tackles.''

Although Patrick Turner said he has improved, he remains a heavy underdog to crack the four-man receiver rotation. Sparano publicly blamed himself for not getting Turner on the field in 2009, but one veteran said Turner didn't show enough in practice to warrant it. Besides Turner needing to improve his route running and shake free of press coverage, Sparano said, ``I want to see him more aggressive with the ball when it's in the air.''

• When one team asked the Dolphins why they want to trade Justin Smiley, they said they want bigger linemen; Smiley (6-3, 310) is smaller than Nate Garner (6-7, 325), John Jerry (6-5, 328) and others. But teams know Miami is deeply concerned about his surgically repaired shoulder. Smiley hired Drew Rosenhaus to help his situation.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/08/v-fullstory/1620322/pennington-re-signing-with-miami.html#ixzz0nOcAzD00

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 8, 2010, 10:52 PM

Rich Gannon was a fine mobile Qb back in the day, he knows what he is speaking about when it comes to White running between the tackles..sort of...

Encouraging about White's accuracy, but "praise agendas" are nothing new this time of year and Sparano has said as much when asked about where White would be moved if he doesn't emerge as one of the three best Qb's:

Coach Tony Sparano said he's yet to consider where Pat White might play if he fails to emerge as one of the Dolphins top three quarterbacks.
"Not until we do our due diligence and find out the improvements made, one way or the other, and how good those improvements are," Sparano said. White failed as a Wildcat option last season, so he won't be active on game days in the same role in 2010.

per rotoworld.

2k52k5Forum Veteran
May 8, 2010, 11:03 PM

Roto World wrote:

White failed as a Wildcat option last season, so he won't be active on game days in the same role in 2010.

That's a pretty huge assumption. I have no idea where they are getting that from.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
May 8, 2010, 11:06 PM

"2k5 wrote:

That's a pretty huge assumption. I have no idea where they are getting that from.

so your saying he didnt fail? he succeeded? i dont think so.

2k52k5Forum Veteran
May 8, 2010, 11:11 PM

"SICK wrote:

so your saying he didnt fail? he succeeded? i dont think so.

Well, despite the fact that I don't think he completely failed, no that wasn't what I meant. I meant that I don't know where they got that he won't be active in a similar role this year.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
May 8, 2010, 11:15 PM

"2k5 wrote:

Well, despite the fact that I don't think he completely failed, no that wasn't what I meant. I meant that I don't know where they got that he won't be active in a similar role this year.

similar meaning him being listed as a QB. with henne, penny and thigpen....i dont see how he will be "active" at all. but thats just me i guess.

PHPhinatic425New Member
May 8, 2010, 11:31 PM

Does Patrick Turner have the work ethic of Jamarcis Russel?

It's Sunday Morning, Where the Phins at?

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 8, 2010, 11:43 PM

"SICK wrote:

so your saying he didnt fail? he succeeded? i dont think so.

For 50 plays?

I'd say he neither failed nor succeeded, to small a sample to say one way or another.

To illustrate, Pat Cobbs played 65 plays last year, White was just not out on the field very often.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
May 9, 2010, 12:00 AM

"padre31 wrote:

For 50 plays?

I'd say he neither failed nor succeeded, to small a sample to say one way or another.

To illustrate, Pat Cobbs played 65 plays last year, White was just not out on the field very often.

Until the Steeler game.
I'll ask again if we need that game to get into the playoffs does Henne leave that football game. The answer is no. We gave white his shot.
Disaster...

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 9, 2010, 12:14 AM

"Killerphins wrote:

Until the Steeler game.
I'll ask again if we need that game to get into the playoffs does Henne leave that football game. The answer is no. We gave white his shot.
Disaster...

Au contraire, at crunch time White was out there on the field instead of Henne in the Titans game on a must have 2pt conversion attempt.

Success, and that was with 52 plays.

smahtazsmahtazForum Veteran
May 9, 2010, 02:00 AM

Don't be surprised when White emerges from camp as the #2 QB.



It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden

FIFinFan316New Member
May 9, 2010, 02:47 AM

"smahtaz wrote:

Don't be surprised when White emerges from camp as the #2 QB.


I would be more than surprised. I would be beyond shocked. PW sucks. No other way to say it. If he improves to where he is #3 even, I'll be surprised. The guy is awful

jetssuckjetssuckNew Member
May 9, 2010, 02:47 AM

"smahtaz wrote:

Don't be surprised when White emerges from camp as the #2 QB.

Surprised?

I'll be horrified

JS

BpkBpkLuxury Box
May 9, 2010, 03:05 AM

"jetssuck" wrote:

Surprised?

I'll be horrified

Lol. Wow. This is the excitement last year's second rounder brings to fans.

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
May 9, 2010, 08:20 AM

"Bpk wrote:

Lol. Wow. This is the excitement last year's second rounder brings to fans.

This is the reality of what White has shown us so far. I don't care if he was taken #1 overall (well, really I would, but just as a metaphor), if he can't play at this level, which he has shown that he cannot, then he's a bust. His 55 or so plays were all nondescript and nothing that showed any potential ability in either the WCxQB or as a QB. I know that we have hopes that the light will come on at some point soon and he'll flash the ability he had in college, but it certainly hasn't happened so far. Not one flash worth. And additionally, even with slow-learners or slow-developers, you almost always see some kind of flash of their ability ??

As an aside, I was at Dan Marino's first TC practice back in the day. His first 7 on 7 pass play was a masterpiece. You could see that he was going to be special. He was not ready to start at QB at that point, but with those first plays, you could see that he had something that separated him from the other QBs in camp. Of course, it's unfair to compare White to Marino, and I don't mean it as a comparison other than pointing out that "flash" moment, when you saw something. Admittedly, I haven't seen White in person at TC or a game, just on film, but I have yet to see anything in the passing or run game that reminds me of his days at WVA... I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert or football guru, far from it. Just my personal opinion, based on what I see from this kid, but something is missing....I hope to God I'm wrong and he blows us all away this coming offseason and year...but tell me, has he really shown anything ??

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 9, 2010, 09:31 AM

"smahtaz wrote:

Don't be surprised when White emerges from camp as the #2 QB.

Wouldn't surprise me, basically Henne and Pennington flip positions on the Qb depth Chart, White would be expected to play in the WC with the chance for Thiggy to bounce him if he doesn't perform at TC.

10 days until OTA's and I'm looking forward to see if Penny was blowing smoke or if Pat White really has improved, he also needs work on his footwork as a Running Back:

YouTube- Patrick White - Week 5 - 2009

If folks will notice, when he drops back he sorta trips before he can reverse his momentum and run into the hole.

YouTube- Pat White Miami Dolphins 33-Yard Run

Arguably his best play from 09, but still one can tell that White's rb skills are touch crude as he doesn't run hard until he is in the open field, in the NFL holes close far to quickly for that to work consistently, he has to spend time with Rb Coach James Saxon imho.

YouTube- PFTV 4/29/09: Will Dolphins Fans Accept Pat White As A Quarterback Only?

And, once again, "move Pat White to Wr" was predictable a yr ago.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 9, 2010, 09:41 AM

I believe the Pats are due for job description changes this year:
1) Pat Turner: hybrid WR & TE RedZone threat, TE will be his ticket to stick in the up-cming season, shades of the Martin switch in GreenBay before he came to Miami
(2) Pat White: (a) Special/Teams ( returns, holder, punter, trick plays) could be used @ scat back (passing/running options) WR & Slot on the receiving corp,once again, opens options
(c) Unconventional Offense & 4th string emergency back up QB. versatility will be his ticket to stick, becoming a passing/running unconventional threat assure him of a roster spot. can always use an energy 4th string back-up QB, especially late in the season
they will have to find their way quickly, make their bones in 2010

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
May 9, 2010, 09:42 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me, basically Henne and Pennington flip positions on the Qb depth Chart, White would be expected to play in the WC with the chance for Thiggy to bounce him if he doesn't perform at TC.

10 days until OTA's and I'm looking forward to see if Penny was blowing smoke or if Pat White really has improved, he also needs work on his footwork as a Running Back:

YouTube- Patrick White - Week 5 - 2009

If folks will notice, when he drops back he sorta trips before he can reverse his momentum and run into the hole.

YouTube- Pat White Miami Dolphins 33-Yard Run

Arguably his best play from 09, but still one can tell that White's rb skills are touch crude as he doesn't run hard until he is in the open field, in the NFL holes close far to quickly for that to work consistently, he has to spend time with Rb Coach James Saxon imho.

YouTube- PFTV 4/29/09: Will Dolphins Fans Accept Pat White As A Quarterback Only?

And, once again, "move Pat White to Wr" was predictable a yr ago.

Why would White as the #2 mean Henne and Penny would flip positions on the depth chart?. What you're saying is if White is #2, then Penny is the #1. That makes no sense at all.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 9, 2010, 09:45 AM

YouTube- Pat White Drafted by the Miami Dolphins

They show some highlights of White throwing the ball, he hits his man on the out route consistently the ball has good velocity and accuracy, yet against Pitt he looked like a noodle armed Qb on his one pass.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 9, 2010, 09:51 AM

"MrClean wrote:

Why would White as the #2 mean Henne and Penny would flip positions on the depth chart?. What you're saying is if White is #2, then Penny is the #1. That makes no sense at all.

Chad Henne as the starter

Pat White as the WC Qb and the #2 Qb

Pennington as the #3 Qb if Henne goes down.

To start 2009 Pennington was the #1 Qb, White the #2 and Henne the #3, in 2010...they flip positions...see what I did there?

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 9, 2010, 09:58 AM

White is not a NFL conventional QB, he will have to find other options :yes:
our QB Stable:
the Iceman, Chad Pennington, the Thigpen, Pat White as an emergency option

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

finyank13finyank13New Member
May 9, 2010, 10:01 AM

"2k5 wrote:

That's a pretty huge assumption. I have no idea where they are getting that from.


Rotoworld is probably right here, the thing is bro they arent carrying 4 active Qb's on gameday, someone is going to be a healthy scratch, and most likely game in and game out, it will be White.....I dont see how he even makes the team....it is a waste of money at this point...unless he switches to WR, but even then I would much rather give Turner a crack, than White...

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
May 9, 2010, 10:05 AM

they will both get every chance to re-make themselves in a Dolphin uniform in 2010

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
May 9, 2010, 10:10 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Chad Henne as the starter

Pat White as the WC Qb and the #2 Qb

Pennington as the #3 Qb if Henne goes down.

To start 2009 Pennington was the #1 Qb, White the #2 and Henne the #3, in 2010...they flip positions...see what I did there?

C'mon now bro. White was the #2 in 2009 based on a technicality. He had to be listed there to play in the wildcat. When Pennington went down in San Diego, who came in? Henne.

I've got to believe that Tyler Thigpen will be on the QB depth chart somewhere, so that probably means it's going to come down to Pennington or White. Which one leaves and/or what does White's new position become? I can't see the front office giving up on White, I'll give you that, and I think he can have a specified set of packages to have success with (i.e. certain wildcat packages, the option role from the first New England game, trick plays), but I think my gripe with it will be if that's all that White proves to be successful with. You should get more from a 2nd round pick than just specified packages.

@KevinMD4

JIjim1New Member
May 9, 2010, 10:31 AM

"the 23rd wrote:

I believe the Pats are due for job description changes this year:
1) Pat Turner: hybrid WR & TE RedZone threat, TE will be his ticket to stick in the up-cming season, shades of the Martin switch in GreenBay before he came to Miami
(2) Pat White: (a) Special/Teams ( returns, holder, punter, trick plays) could be used @ scat back (passing/running options) WR & Slot on the receiving corp,once again, opens options
(c) Unconventional Offense & 4th string emergency back up QB. versatility will be his ticket to stick, becoming a passing/running unconventional threat assure him of a roster spot. can always use an energy 4th string back-up QB, especially late in the season
they will have to find their way quickly, make their bones in 2010

If one of Pat Turner's major failings is, as reported, his inability to be physical enough to beat the press and get off of the line of scrimage as a WR, then I don't see him playing (or surviving for that matter) TE.