1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Sports Buzz: Dolphins/Jets

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Dec 24, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Jets show weaknesses Dolphins can exploit

As the Dolphins watch recent tape of the Jets (who have lost three of their past four), they will see a struggling Brett Favre and a leaky New York defense. Talking Dolphins-Jets:

Though New York ranks sixth against the run, since Nov. 30 the Jets have allowed 129 yards to Denver's Peyton Hillis, 127 to Buffalo's Marshawn Lynch and on Sunday, 116 to Seattle's Maurice Morris. And Seattle started five offensive linemen who were backups or on the practice squad in September.

Jets radio analyst Marty Lyons said teams recently have run well inside against them (despite Pro Bowl nose tackle Kris Jenkins) and on the edges, where Miami also figures to attack. ''Everybody is surprised,'' Lyons said.

• The Jets' biggest weakness is their 29th-ranked pass defense, and CBS' Rich Gannon said they're especially vulnerable in the middle of the field.

Also keep an eye on Jets starting cornerback Ty Law, a November pickup. CBS' Steve Tasker noted Seattle targeted him, with some success. ''He hasn't come up with the big plays people saw in the past,'' Lyons said.

• Intriguing matchups: Jake Long on Calvin Pace (seven sacks) and Vernon Carey on Shaun Ellis (eight). But the Jets had no sacks against Seattle and lately ''aren't getting pass rush on anybody,'' CBS' Phil Simms said. Samson Satele has his hands full with Jenkins, who outweighs him by 50-plus pounds.

• Coach Tony Sparano said Long and Carey have been Miami's best run blockers. Long, incidentally, has been facing a lot of verbal abuse. Before his injury, Justin Smiley heard one opposing lineman say: ''Jake, let me see what $30 million looks like!'' Said Long: ``I kind of like it. Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I talk back. Sometimes I keep my mouth shut.''

Jets show weaknesses Dolphins can exploit - Sports - MiamiHerald.com

steveincolorado and Skeet84 like this.