1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flores Press Conference

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Where in the world is Brian Flores (on the QB scenario - and other items)?

"As it pertains to QB with your team do you agree with that mentality...if two guys are close do you go with the younger guy with where you are as a franchise now?"

Fin-O likes this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    As it pertains to Rosen, it seems to me that in the long term, Rosen is his guy but he doesn’t want to throw him to the wolves, sink or swim as he put it

3. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    And there we have it. Josh Rosen will not start week one IMHO. The bearded wonder will get 2-3 games than Josh will take over unless something magical happens. Our early schedule is tough

4. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Our sights are all set on this year, but it could be that the Dolphins are willing to just keep Rosen in reserve, see how he develops, and aim for a QB in 2021, not 2020. That would allow Flores to maintain his stance that the best man starts if Rosen simply can't beat out Fitz, at least this year. Meanwhile, they can better evaluate the rest of the offense by fielding a better QB, and seek to continue to fill gaps throughout the 2020 draft and free agency, and also collect a few more picks for the 2021 draft and go all in to get Lawrence, or even Tua if he doesn't declare in 2020 (which is a distinct possibility due to family input).

So maybe we need to lengthen our perspective on all this.

5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I think part of what Flores is doing is shutting up the media and reeling in expectations. Everyone wants Rosen to start (Flores included) but that's not going to happen "just because". He has to earn it and I think that's the right mentality to have...there's no reason to rush him in there too fast and allow him to build on bad habits. The kid does a lot of good things on the field so I think he gets there eventually, but as I've said all along it doesn't have to be in 2019 or even 2020 due to his contract.

If we were paying him $10M a year then it's a completely different story...but we're not. We have plenty of time for Rosen either way.

6. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Short term benefit scenario; Fitzmagic gets us 2-3 wins in the first month, there is a glimmer of hope for a winning season. We have to stick with him till he bottoms out once again though. Then Rosen gets 6 games or so, but not enough time to have a clear idea if he is the answer at QB and we are too far down in the draft with 5-6 wins to grab a top QB.

Long term benefit scenario; Rosen starts and plays well enough to show he is the answer at QB going forward, OR he tanks badly and we win 2-3 games and have a top 2 pick to grab a QB.

7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I mean, 2021 is the Trevor Lawrence draft. So there is that.

However, 2 seasons of potentially being the worst team in the league? Hard to expect a coach to go through that and then become the guy to lead a team to the SB. That's like, Hue Jackson territory.

8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The problem here is that we don't know the end goal- is it to win as much as possible? Or is it to tank the season? Rosen is probably the better answer for a really bad season and the coach is leaning towards Fitz...making me think that we're actually playing football this year. I honestly think that either QB can get us 5-8 wins though so I'm not sure we'd pick top-2 anyway.

Then again, the schedule looks fairly brutal- maybe we're destined to be a 2-4 win team no matter what. I think it really all comes down to the defense and how good they are.

9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Realistically, it's both.

You simply cannot ask players to lose, and you probably can't ask it of Flores or the coaching staff either.

However, is Grier happy to go 3-13 instead of 7-9? Privately, he probably is. And he will want to know where Rosen stands more than he wants to win 1-2 extra games. And he wants to really know what guys like Harris or Gieseki bring to the table more than he wants 1-2 more wins.

But does he really think letting Fitz start a few games in the first weeks change our trajectory either way? Probably not. He may think that having a vet like Fitz may help evaluate Gieseki and Parker and Williams (not to mention the OL) more than Rosen atm.

There are thousands of individual calculations that add up to the big picture. Ultimately, they need to get QB right, and need at least a semi-workable OL. On D, they need to find a passrush. If they hit those, we will be competing for playoffs pretty quick. If not, we are likely welcoming a new coach in 2021/2022 and maybe Grier's replacement too.

10. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't think Flores would be on the hot seat after two down years as long as there is some sort of progress in terms of building the roster etc. Why? Because Ross himself said that they now want to build for long term success, and I believe he meant it. This was a clear change in philosophy and I have no doubt that Ross and Flores and Grier have talked about building the team 'right', doing it through the draft, etc. I reckon Flores has at least 3 years guaranteed (assuming no scandals etc. )