1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five thoughts on phins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Five thoughts on Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

The Mike Nolan statistical history
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...kolnick's+Season+Ticket+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

The personnel impact of Mike Nolan on the Miami Dolphins
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Nice read, although at 6-3 250 lbs I never thought Wakes size was in question. If JT and Peezy stay it will be very interesting to see what a real DC can do with those guys.

ATVZ400 and skippysphins like this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The prospect of combining Wake with Nolan is what has me most excited about this hire.

Last year Dumervil averaged a sack, pressure or hit on the QB every 16 snaps. He was used primarily as a pass rusher since he was considered a liability against the run and poor in pass coverage.

Wake averaged a sack, pressure or hit on the QB every 5 snaps. IMO he is better against the run than Dumervil and no worse in coverage.

4. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware

Sounds like all our OLB's.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Well all LBs are a liability in coverage. Its simply a mismatch. There isn't a single LB in the league who has stopped more than half the passes against him in the last three years (that's the period I've seen stats for so its probably longer). The significant difference is that those LBs have to make the tackles on those completions. That's where our LBs failed.

Against the run our guys really weren't that bad.

I really wish I knew what happened with the Roth situation. If he were here we'd be set on the strong side with Roth (and the rumors that Merling has been told to lose weight) and the weak side with Wake and either JT or Porter platooning. We'd also have depth on the weak side with Anderson and Moses.

JimToss likes this.
  6. finz810

finz810 Season Ticket Holder

so with Wake in mind, safe to say Joey's gone?

7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I do not see how anyone can say that. It's pretty obvious by now that Roth is always going to have trouble with that groin.

8. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I guess it would depend on who you asked. Porter has always been susceptible against the run. He has always been and still remains a very good pass rusher. Last year his sacks dipped but there are a few contributing factors to that decline. Fist off as we all know he had been playing with an injury for most of the year. Second lets be real the year before he had 17.5 sacks so it would be hard for those numbers not to dip.

The fact still remains. He has 9 sacks last year and ranked 6th in that category among active 3-4 OLB's. So unless we bring in someone who can replace those sacks I would think he would stay. I know some people will say Wake is that guy and don't be to suprised if I say I agree. But still let us not forget the excitment we had last year in the thought of having Wake JT and peezy on the field at the same time. That experiment seemd to have failed but it is my humble opinion that the only reason it failed was we didn't have the right guy in charge of putting such a scheme together. I think Nolan is "That Guy" and would love to see what he can do with the three of them.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Wow, Pro Football Focus overload.

That's really a ****ty job at analyzing the personnel. That's more listing them.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    He seemed to play pretty well for Cleveland this year.

11. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Joey is a nonfactor in Miami... :sad:

12. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    ???

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    porter will be the odd man out
    wake & taylor, moses, anderson

nolan brings alot to the table

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not seeing it Bro, could be wrong, but unless it is a money issue, JP is due 7 millie this year, those 9 sacks are just hard to replace with nothing but "potential".

JP will have his knee scoped this offseason, imho he should stick around through TC to see what he has and to have some good trade bait.

LandShark13 likes this.
  15. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Well I'll take Charlie Anderson and his 7 sacks(projected for starting the whole season) at the vet minimum all day over Porter, his 9 sacks, big mouth, and 7 million.

16. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Nolan was a WR coach as well. maybe he can work a bit with Ginn :lol:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  17. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I completely agree with you on Roth. He certainly wasn't the most athletic, but he could set the edge against the run.
    Pass coverage certainly is always a liability for any LB, especially with the barrage of killer TE's we played this year. (Tony G, Clark, Gates Heath Miller, Winslow.)

As far as the run though, our weakside really seemed to be a huge liabilty against the run. Taylor played servicably on the strong, but those legs are getting old. From what I saw most tackles came from the DL, ILBs or our safties stepping up.

The part that intrigued me most about your post was the rumor that Merling was being told to lose weight. I remember having a couple discussions when he was drafted as looking at him as a potential SOLB.

I kept that dream alive until this year, where he weight is now listed as 295. It almost seems to me that he is really being more groomed to make the switch to NT, instead of SOLB. That or the potential choice of him staying at a crowded 3-4 DE position.
    I was just wondering how recently this rumor has been swirling. It would be nice to see Merling make the switch either way, seeing both are big needs.

18. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Stuff like what Tight End and Quarterback Nolan selected in San Fransciso is pretty irrelevant. Whether or not he made good decisions on his defensive players is irrelevant too.

There's nothing along the lines of say, Nolan took Manny Lawson because of his desire for trait "X", which is important in his defense because of "Y".

19. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/NolaMi0.htm

More mediocre football...................?

20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    yeah we blew the matt roth situation
    dumb move
    we should have kept him

21. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

Gotcha, Thanx for the explanation :thumbup:

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The Matt Roth situation is still a puzzle. I always felt that he was too heavy at SOLB for us in 2008 and would have benefit from losing a few pounds to help his pass rushing. He really was an underrated player and more effective in rushing the passer (based on snaps) than most gave him credit for. At the least he was a good two-down player at SOLB.

23. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the pass rushing stuff is a little bit disingenuous. On the fact of it, if you look at his stats and think about his limited stats, he did fairly good in '08, and the same with Cleveland.

Roth gets most of his sacks vs. Tight Ends, Fullbacks, and Runningbacks. His job basically entailed him not rushing unless the guy he was responsible for didn't come out of the backfield and stayed in to block him. He was a good mismatch on those type of players, but I'm skeptical he would have any kind of meaningful production pass rushing against an actual Tackle, and so seemingly was our coaching staff and Clevelands.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  24. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Was Jason Taylor's role much different though?

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    So write that, like it is a rare thing for tight ends, fullbacks and runningbacks to block.

The thing that annoyed me the most last year was seeing tight ends, fullbacks, and runningbacks blocking Joey Porter with consistant basis and Jason Taylor better and better as the game went on.