Fitness/Workout thread
402 replies
"enforcerfin33 wrote:
Griddles is a virgin....the thought of beavers angers him....the name makes sense now huh?:wink2:
haha that was a home run. I credit myself for the setup.
Actually I live in NF, NY so I saw NF beavers and was like wtf is someone trolling in my neighborhood?
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
"GridIronKing34 wrote:
Well it's a MWF routine so I get a days rest between each day and two days to recover for Monday. This is how mine works out.. I've done exactly what was the routine said to do, didn't modify it at all. Normally I would but I figured I better do the routine as it was intended:
Monday:
Bench: 5 X 5 racking
Squat: 5 X 5 racking
Barbell Row: 5 X 5 racking
Weighted Hyper-extensions: 2 X 12
Weighted Crunches: 4 X 25Wednesday (this is the 'light day' according to Starr):
Squat: 4 X 5, first three sets same as Monday, forth set the same set as Monday's third set.
Military Press: 4 X 5 racking
Deadlift: 4 X 5 racking
Crunches: 4 X 25Friday:
Bench: 4 X 5 (same as first four sets as Monday) 1 X 3 (minimum 2.5% increase from last set on Monday) 1 X 8 (third set on Monday)
Squat: 4 X 5 (same as first four sets as Monday) 1 X 3 (minimum 2.5% increase from last set on Monday) 1 X 8 (third set on Monday)
Barbell Row: 4 X 5 (same as first four sets as Monday) 1 X 3 (minimum 2.5% increase from last set on Monday) 1 X 8 (third set on Monday)
Dips: 3 X 6
Barbell Curls: 3 X 10
Tricep Extensions: 3 X 8
Be careful with that Wed. routine...doing deadlifts and squats the same day could quickly lead to overtraining if you're not careful. Those are 2 MAJOR compound exercises that really use up the body's recuperative resources, even if it is a 'light' day....
Just curious, but how light is 'light' anyway? Are they all on the same type of thing as the squat? I've seen a lot of variations, and all have just been a cursory glance (enough to know it's not for me:lol: ), so I don't really know all the ins-n-outs of the program. Also, what are the % you're working with? I would assume that the last set on Mon. is somewhere around 80% of your 1RM, but I'm wondering how it all breaks down.
Keep us posted on your progress!:up:
Honor in Virtue. Truth in Sacrifice. Strength in All.
"JCowScot wrote:
Be careful with that Wed. routine...doing deadlifts and squats the same day could quickly lead to overtraining if you're not careful. Those are 2 MAJOR compound exercises that really use up the body's recuperative resources, even if it is a 'light' day....
Just curious, but how light is 'light' anyway? Are they all on the same type of thing as the squat? I've seen a lot of variations, and all have just been a cursory glance (enough to know it's not for me:lol: ), so I don't really know all the ins-n-outs of the program. Also, what are the % you're working with? I would assume that the last set on Mon. is somewhere around 80% of your 1RM, but I'm wondering how it all breaks down.
Keep us posted on your progress!:up:
Yeah I was worried about that, but this is what light means... This is what I do for squats on Mondays...
First set is 135 lb
Second set is 165 lb
Third set is 195 lb
Forth set is 225 lb
Fifth set is 255 lb
And on Wednesday you do four sets of five, you're suppose to do the same thing as Monday with the first three sets, but the forth set is suppose to be the same set as Monday's third set.. So it looks like this:
First set is 135 lb
Second set is 165 lb
Third set is 195 lb
Forth set is 195 lb
I'm just doing what the program calls for, I'm not a beginner for lifting or anything so that's why I'm not too scared of it. I've heard that squats and deadlifts aren't too smart on the same day but I would assume that a strength trainer like Starr would know what he's talking about.
EDIT: And I reached my goals easier than I thought for Friday where I'm suppose to increase the last set by 2.5% or so.. So that was pretty satisfying. Thanks for the advice and uhhh... insults, guys..
"JCowScot wrote:
Be careful with that Wed. routine...doing deadlifts and squats the same day could quickly lead to overtraining if you're not careful. Those are 2 MAJOR compound exercises that really use up the body's recuperative resources, even if it is a 'light' day....:
I do that all the time .....
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
"unluckyluciano wrote:
I do that all the time .....
taking a crap is not the squatting we are talking about lucky.


Okay, so once upon a time in this thread, somebody posted a book targeting MASS and Bulking up. I have gone through the thread twice now and I am still not seeing it.....any insight?
"azfinfanmang wrote:
Okay, so once upon a time in this thread, somebody posted a book targeting MASS and Bulking up. I have gone through the thread twice now and I am still not seeing it.....any insight?
I would take a look at The New HIT or The New Bodybuilding for Old School Results, both by Ellington Darden, PhD. I personally have the first one, and it has been the clearest, most scientific, concise and understandable book on the subject of strength training and BB that I have read so far. Both have some good routines for mass/bulking, and the HIT one even has specific routines for lagging body parts.
You can find HIT at any bookstore or online for under $20 I believe...the second I think you can only get online at his website (http://drdarden.com), and it's also moreso a history of Arthur Jones, HIT and the Iron Game (as both contain such things; I think Mr. Darden got a little sentimental when his good friend Jones started to die-hence all the stories). If that interests you cool, but otherwise I would stick to The New HIT, as it is a cheaper book and also contains a fairly recent tear down/build up case study done here at GHFC in Gainesville, FL, complete with meal plan, routines and before-and-after pics. Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but IMO it's worth a look regardless. :up:
Honor in Virtue. Truth in Sacrifice. Strength in All.
Finally got back into my routine after being a slacker for alittle while. Feels so good to be back into it.
I'll have to check out that book.

Hmmm.......
That book has some very mixed reviews on Amazon. Would you recommend that over Mentzer's HIT book?

"Motion wrote:
Hmmm.......
That book has some very mixed reviews on Amazon. Would you recommend that over Mentzer's HIT book?
Not for the amount of info (as the Darden book is about 1/3 HIT history), but for the specific routines and the case study. As you can get it for $10-15 bucks, I think it's worth having in one's strength training library. It's also somewhat easier to read and reference than Mentzer's last two books (Hit and Wisdom w/ J. Little). I read the neg. reviews on Amazon; some are warranted, others just seem to be the ramblings of someone reticent to give up long held beliefs.
I respect Dr. Darden and his methods, as he is one of the few people out there willing to put his philosophies on the line, whether through published detailed case studies or regular open challenges on T-nation.com. I've known far too many trainers, etc. that get defensive and beat around the bush when it comes to their training systems and the rational and science behind them. Darden is one of the few that don't....
Actually, come to think of it, I am going to change my mind. :lol: I would personally wait for a guy named Drew Baye to publish his book. He's been one of the most knowledgeable, logical and scientific posters over at Dr. Darden's website. He's also a personal trainer down here in FL, so his book is supposed to cover a lot of nutritional and supplemental info as well. He says it should be out in the next couple of months, so I would wait for that one instead. It will most undoubtedly be more expensive than The New HIT, but I think it will be worth it. (Less history, more scientific studies.)
Well, that's a long reply to a short question, but meh, what can ya do??:wink2:
Honor in Virtue. Truth in Sacrifice. Strength in All.
"JCowScot wrote:
Not for the amount of info (as the Darden book is about 1/3 HIT history), but for the specific routines and the case study. As you can get it for $10-15 bucks, I think it's worth having in one's strength training library. It's also somewhat easier to read and reference than Mentzer's last two books (Hit and Wisdom w/ J. Little). I read the neg. reviews on Amazon; some are warranted, others just seem to be the ramblings of someone reticent to give up long held beliefs.
I respect Dr. Darden and his methods, as he is one of the few people out there willing to put his philosophies on the line, whether through published detailed case studies or regular open challenges on T-nation.com. I've known far too many trainers that get defensive and beat around the bush when it comes to their training systems and the rational and science behind them. Darden is one of the few that don't....
Actually, come to think of it, I am going to change my mind. :lol: I would personally wait for a guy named Drew Baye to publish his book. He's been one of the most knowledgeable, logical and scientific posters over at Dr. Darden's website. He's also a personal trainer down here in FL, so his book is supposed to cover a lot of nutritional and supplemental info as well. He says it should be out in the next couple of months, so I would wait for that one instead. It will most undoubtedly be more expensive than The New HIT, but I think it will be worth it. (Less history, more scientific studies.)
Well, that's a long reply to a short question, but meh, what can ya do??:wink2:
Interesting.........That guy actually left a review of Mentzer's book on Amazon.
32 of 35 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars The only valid theory of productive exercise, May 15, 2004
By Andrew Baye "www.baye.com" - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I was first introduced to the concept of high intensity training by Mike's articles in Iron Man magazine in the early 90's. For the first time ever, I began to see consistent, noticable improvements on a workout to workout basis, initially gaining over 25 pounds of muscle over a period of only a few months. I eventually became certified as a personal trainer by the SuperSlow Exercise Guild, who also advocate a high intensity training (HIT) protocol similar to Mike's, the only major difference being the use of a slower rep cadence which provides for a lower risk of injuries. Having trained hundreds of clients using HIT since 1994, I can say with absolute confidence that it is by far the safest, most productive, and most time efficient way to train. Whatever is in second place is so far behind as to not even be in the running.HIT is not, as some reviewers have erroneously stated, conducive to injuries, so long as the exercises are performed properly - that is, using strict form and a smooth, controlled speed of movement. Lift the weights slowly and under strict control, and reverse direction smoothly, rather than simply swinging, bouncing or throwing them up and then allowing them to drop the way most people do in the gym. It isn't the amount of weight that causes injuries, but the manner in which one attempts to lift it. HIT is perfectly safe if the exercises are performed properly. Mike addresses this issue in the book.
HIT does happen to be the "be all, end all" of exercise. There can only be one best, one most efficient, one most effective means of accomplishing a particular goal, and where exercise is concerned, this is it. The principles of productive exercise are the same for all of us, it is merely the specifics that must be adjusted for individual differences, which is accounted for in HIT theory, and in Mike's books. Even if another training method produced similar results, if it required you to spend a greater amount of time in the gym it could still not be considered equal, since the return on investment would be lower. For those who's social lives revolve around the gym or who are stuck in their ways, this may take some getting used to. Personally, I'd rather spend only as much time in the gym as necessary to get the best results. The purpose of exercise is to improve the quality of your life, and NOT to be the center of it.
Get in the gym, train hard, then get out and enjoy your life.
This is the most thorough of all of Mike's books. It covers all of the principles of his Heavy Duty high intensity training system in detail, and provides routines and explanations of the performance of various exercises. There is a section with information specifically written for the competitive bodybuilder on peaking, definition and posing. Mike also discusses his views on motivation in the gym, which I believe many will benefit from.

"JCowScot wrote:
I would take a look at The New HIT or The New Bodybuilding for Old School Results, both by Ellington Darden, PhD. I personally have the first one, and it has been the clearest, most scientific, concise and understandable book on the subject of strength training and BB that I have ever read. Both have some good routines for mass/bulking, and the HIT one even has specific routines for lagging body parts.
You can find HIT at any bookstore or online for under $20 I believe...the second I think you can only get online at his website (http://drdarden.com), and it's also somewhat of a history of Arthur Jones, HIT and the Iron Game. If that interests you cool, but otherwise I would stick to The New HIT, as it is a cheaper book and also contains a fairly recent tear down/build up case study done here at GHFC in Gainesville, FL, complete with meal plan, routines and before-and-after pics. Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but IMO it's worth a look regardless. :up:
I will check into those two (Thanks) but not the ones I was referring to...
"azfinfanmang wrote:
I will check into those two (Thanks) but not the ones I was referring to...
VERY surprised no one has mentioned this... why? Because every e-bodybuilder preaches this as the best book since the Bible.

"enforcerfin33 wrote:
does anyone know if carpal tunnel hampers lifting?
Do you have it? If so does it bother you when you lift? lol I duno how else youd be able to tell.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
"slickj101 wrote:
Do you have it? If so does it bother you when you lift? lol I duno how else youd be able to tell.
It bothers me at night...I dont know if thats what it is. I need to go get it looked at.


I thought at first maybe I pulled something in my wrist, but I have laid off lifting for a while and it doesnt seem to get better. It seems to come and go.


"enforcerfin33 wrote:
I thought at first maybe I pulled something in my wrist, but I have laid off lifting for a while and it doesnt seem to get better. It seems to come and go.
my wrist use to bother me alot after benching and curls etc. i started using gloves that have the built in wrap on them for extra support. since then i've had no problems. i really recommend gloves for anyone with those kinda probs or if your hands sweat a lot. for me thats both.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
Hey guys, looking for some help.
I want to become a quicker runner. I say quicker because I'm already one of the fastest, if not the fastest player in my league. However, I have a thin build, and all my speed is top end.
Ideally, I want to increase my acceleration while not affecting my top end. I was thinking squats and other exercises to increase the muscle mass on my thighs.
Any insight is appreciated.
got my mile down to 8:45. not bad for 2 and a half weeks, and bein an old man!
"Tone_E wrote:
Hey guys, looking for some help.
I want to become a quicker runner. I say quicker because I'm already one of the fastest, if not the fastest player in my league. However, I have a thin build, and all my speed is top end.
Ideally, I want to increase my acceleration while not affecting my top end. I was thinking squats and other exercises to increase the muscle mass on my thighs.
Any insight is appreciated.
id be thinking, less weight lifting and more explosive plyometric type stuff...like jumping on top of a 1-2 foot box and back down, repeatedly. running suicides and short sprints. jump squats with no weight...stuff like that.
"Tone_E wrote:
Hey guys, looking for some help.
I want to become a quicker runner. I say quicker because I'm already one of the fastest, if not the fastest player in my league. However, I have a thin build, and all my speed is top end.
Ideally, I want to increase my acceleration while not affecting my top end. I was thinking squats and other exercises to increase the muscle mass on my thighs.
Any insight is appreciated.
Squats.. heavy weights low reps every four days..a weight that causes you to not finish the rep around 7-8...warmup then 4 sets or so of high weight low rep work.
"GridIronKing34 wrote:
VERY surprised no one has mentioned this... why? Because every e-bodybuilder preaches this as the best book since the Bible.
I actually DO have this book. I find very good information in it, but it is antiquated. Always looking for new things and techniques :up:
"Sethdaddy8 wrote:
id be thinking, less weight lifting and more explosive plyometric type stuff...like jumping on top of a 1-2 foot box and back down, repeatedly. running suicides and short sprints. jump squats with no weight...stuff like that.
"Zeke0123 wrote:
Squats.. heavy weights low reps every four days..a weight that causes you to not finish the rep around 7-8...warmup then 4 sets or so of high weight low rep work.
Thanks guys. I will def try the squats. I am familiar with the plyometric stuff as well, but heard it can be a detriment to you if not done properly. So Im kind of timid to do that stuff on my own. The suicide sprints are doable though.
Thanks again. :up:
"Tone_E wrote:
Thanks guys. I will def try the squats. I am familiar with the plyometric stuff as well, but heard it can be a detriment to you if not done properly. So Im kind of timid to do that stuff on my own. The suicide sprints are doable though.
Thanks again. :up:
I would def. agree with everything previously said- plyo w/ heavy squats every 4-5 days, with a total rest day the day after you do squats. And yeah, def. get a session or two with a cert. trainer if you're going to get heavy into the plyo stuff. Some of that can be done on your own relatively safe and easy though.
Also, bungee/parachute/sled drag sprints can help w/ acceleration and quicks as well. Working on developing quick feet is essential. Rope ladders/tires are good, easy stuff to find to train with. Just some ideas.:up:
Honor in Virtue. Truth in Sacrifice. Strength in All.