1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First scrimmage favors rookie QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jdang307, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/08/first-scrimmage.html

Harry Fialkov's opinion ... and I can't argue with it much. Beck needs to bring his mini-camp mojo fast. It's only been a week, so we're ALL jumping the gun. But what else do we have???:lol:

mullingan and PMZQ like this.
  2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'd take all this with a grain of salt, remember Harvey was the loudest of the local media that didn't like the Beck move last year...

At any rate, as you said it's probably a little too early to make judgments just yet...can't wait to see them in a game though...

Fin Fan In Cali and alen1 like this.
  3. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I would love to know if Beck was playing against the 1st team D and which Henne went up against. That could give us a better perspective I think

Fin Fan In Cali and alen1 like this.
  4. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Yeah its still early, and from what Sparano stated earlier, they are just about done with all the installs so repitition of the playbook will start. This is where one of the quarterbacks, presumably the one with the best feel for the playbook, should stand out. I'd say the staff does not have a depth chart yet but is starting to get a feel for how each QB practices. Performance in the first preseason game will probably result in the first real depth charts, if not "on paper", at least in thier minds.

The O-line pass blocking worries me some. Of course pass blocking is the most difficult for a new line to get going due to the team work that is required. Give it some time.

Wilford being absent really puzzles me. Is he is more suited as a, situational, player possession type receiver and not a #2? What ever, he must produce when on the field to get some pressure off Ginn. The drops concerns me alot from all our recievers. Can't have them, especially with a QB that needs some solid play and completions to gain some confidence.

Still alot of time to coach things up and get familiar with everything. This roster is full of new people doing new things. 4 preseason games and all the practices coming up is still plenty of time to get the execution, timing, and cohesiveness required for an offense to produce.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    SuncoastFinsFan likes this.
  6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yes, but they'll eventually be picking one regardless. :lol:

To this point, I don't expect it to be Beck. My projection over the summer was McCown, though I expect more than one to play.

Anything can happen the next few weeks. But so far it's Henne whose game has improved.

7. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    I agree that McCown is probably going to be the starter. He's the one who has the best grasp so far, although, as said previously, it is early.

8. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    For a rookie, it's only natural that Henne be the one with the greatest improvement... that old learning curve where the returns are really high in the early going. Now, it should be noted so as to keep in proper perspective, Henne was playing against thirds, and then thirds/seconds...

9. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    That's what has suprised me the most is how quick he's catching on. I know he's a 4 year starter and all, but the speed of the NLF has got to be overwhelming. I have mostly been impressed of his presence in the huddle and taking command and the fact that he's getting rid of the ball pretty regularly before the horn. Both are very impressive for a rookie IMO.:up:

10. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Two words...Preseason Games. Those are where will see how these guys can do (somewhat) whereas these scrimmages/practices don't mean anything. Then the regular season will be the real test.

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Remember how good Cleo Lemon looked playing against 3rd and 2nd stringers, so yes we must temper our emotions. I'm dissappointed in Beck, hoping he'd be lights out by now, but very happy that Henne looks decent at this stage. I'd be mad if they both looked like crap, and McCown is the only leader. Unless he magically performs some sort of transformation, we know what we're going to get with McCown.

Coral Reefer and alen1 like this.
  12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Sorry but they signed my boy Josh to start for this team, and I assure you it's gonna happen that way. :lol:

13. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    my depth chart prediction at the end of the season:

1) McCown
    2) Henne
    3) Beck

not saying that's what i want, that is just what i see at the year's end.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If the best thing you can say about McCown is the best grasp of the offense, things are not looking well for him

15. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    And if in that putrid state he is still our best QB, things are not looking good for us as a team. :no:

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Agreed. Here is hoping for a great running game.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Bring in Brock Berlin! He kicked *** in prseason so he must be good!

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hey, former 'cane. He was with the Rams I believe for their last regular season game, I remember him starting the game. I don't remember him being impressive though lol.

19. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    fialkov was in full anti-beck mode this morning with ethan and defo on 640