1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fins player: Jonathan Martin would be welcomed back

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Nov 1, 2013.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...player-jonathan-martin-would-be-welcomed-back

Don't really know what to make of all this.

2. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Unless he is medically injured there is no reason for him not to be on the sideline, this is most likely the front office telling them to cut the crap before sh*t hits the fan.

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Don't believe everything you read is the message :lol:

It's very true. Media are often biased and report only things they want to, or the things that makes them look better or the world look terrifying. Often, there's much more underneath.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you're saying psychological problems aren't enough to miss a game?

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    exactly. Ricky Williams says "hello"!

6. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Id cut him...

7. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    I got hundreds of hard working people that work in or around Sunlife Stadium that say HELL NO. Pony up and stand up to the 'supposed' bully, you get paided to be physical fml.

8. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    you don't know whats really wrong with him. None of us do. You're going off news reports, which could be inaccurate, not the full story, etc. Psychological problems can be just as devastating as physical. People really need to stop the "suck it up" bull****. Its the exact same attitude that led to things ptsd in soldiers not being diagnosed for years.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My guess is that it means it wasn't the "bullying" that the media is trying to portray it as.

10. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010

Man... soldiers on a battlefield and guys playing a game are totally different things. I don't think that's even comparable but call me old school i guess.

But you are right for all we know it could be some pencil pusher talking crap, I guess we'll have to wait and see. As a fan i dont really care because last night was probably the best i've seen the Phin's O line play all year so maybe its for the best.

11. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm not saying they are equal. Just giving an example of the wrong attitudes leading to a loss in gains in the psychological field and possibly a loss in life, etc. Another example would be depression and the stigma it has attached with it, where it becomes a "suck it up" answer to people, but it isn't always that simple.

RevRick likes this.
  12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Ok. What does this accomplish exactly?

13. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

Perhaps.

And speaking of media hacks, do we know who it was initially who reported that Martin "was getting treatment" ala mental institution?

14. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    The NFL and media digging deeper, stirring the pot potentially causing repercussion. Goodell loves handing out fines and penalties, whether or not its media propaganda its still bad press. Last thing we want is for this stupidity to cause us money and/or draft picks.

15. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    He took a leave from the team, or the team suspended him. Either way, why would he be on the sidelines?

16. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Honestly, I second this sentiment.. he isn't worth the trouble if it is in fact true.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  17. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Any news on incognito and his neck?

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Only reason why the Dolphins won't cut him is because it gives you a bad image when the words bullying and mental illness is involved. But he's definitely someone I'd consider releasing in the offseason because of this.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

None of the local media, that I saw, mentioned bullying. Only the lunchroom prank. Then, Alex Marvez throws it out there. Then others picked up on it. How do we know it's even true? Why take Marvez's word for it? He's been anti-Dolphins since he left the Sun-Sentinel. Using the term bullying could just be how Marvez interprets a lunchroom prank. That does not define bullying to most people, IMO.

20. MrClean

Or Patterson, and whatever happened to him. Looked like maybe a shoulder to me.

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What's his face eisen said it point blank to wake on the after show, "used the word bullying."

22. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Bullying? I would be embarassed to be on an NFL team and be accused of being bullied. Talk about your weakest link. Maybe he can come back from this and make the progress we hope he can, but this is really discouraging.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Mortenson said it's being called "harassment" and that nflpa is looking to Richie incognito for answers...

Hasn't been called an investigation but Mortenson said their serious about finding out some answers.

24. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That was later in the night after the other "reporters" (sensationalists, gossip spreaders) used it.

Also, pissed me off after the game when they brought Wake out and started asking him about it. Total BS to bring that up then and to ask a defensive player about the mental state of an offensive player. Wake handled it well though and had a good response.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    prolly a sensitive guy who doesn't take jokes real well, and one came at the wrong time..

I remember when Pouncey and the boys called him big weirdo, personally I didn't think it was very nice, and from his reaction he didn't seem to think it was very funny, so maybe the jokes built up inside while he was putting on a front.

Ducken likes this.
  26. MrClean

Marvez was the first media type I saw use the word in reference to Martin's problems. Others, like I said, picked up on it afterwards. Marvez, when it comes to the Dolphins these days, is just a skinny version of Jason Cole.

27. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Not sure about other people's companies, but my firm would handle this the exact same way. Strict policies and training around harassment based on sex, pranks, racism, exclusion, etc... at this point, they have to step in and look into it to protect themselves from lawsuit. Overblown IMO, but is what it is.

As for Martin, he'll be back. Whether he'll ever start again or not is a different story, but you need depth too...

MikeHoncho likes this.
  28. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    All of this is reason why he needs to be cut, the guy is the Manny Wright of the team now. Players are messing around, the joke is very unoriginal and 4th grade level yes, but in the end players in the locker room all are getting along and probably (speculating) teased him a little, he's probably known as soft and they got into it with him a little to get him to man up and he got sensitive. He needs to toughen up or sign up for the Lingerie league.

And yesterday, it is pretty clear that the rest of the team is just fine, it's just Martin on his own. Hell even Egnew, who was considered an outcast last year in the locker room is doing fine with the team.

29. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    The only people who considered Egnew an outcast in the locker room are the fans who saw him get chewed out by Sherman on Hard Knocks.

Back to Martin, according to Salguero Martin walked into a hornets nest as the Miami OL has a reputation for being borderline unprofessional in the lengths they go to perform pranks. Specifically he cites when they stole Samuda's car (Mr Clean brought this up in another thread) and Martin was the one who drove it. Also mentioned Samuda's dick haircut last year. According to Armando, Martin had made it clear recently that he didn't appreciate getting pranked anymore. He described Martin has kind of a loner who wasn't your typical football player. Disagreed with the term bullying, as bullying is the exclusion of people from the group and Martin was very much included in the group.

30. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I am selling "FREE MARTIN" hats for those interested.

Too soon?

31. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
  32. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    At least Martin didn't give up another sack last night......lol

I know, it's not right.

33. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    lol

34. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

We have a large investment in him, he was drafted for a reason, figure out what's wrong, support him in whatever treatment he needs, and get him back on the field. He isn't getting any better sitting at home and we aren't getting any return on our investment, simple as that to me. Not judging, get him what's needed and get his butt back on the field where he can learn, improve, and give us a return on our investment.

Cut him and he shows up at LT for the Patriots and goes to the Pro Bowl. I'm sick of that happening. Welker, so many other examples, fix this, support him and firmly get him back contributing and improving!

hazed819 and steveincolorado like this.
  35. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Well for the sake of him not becoming a Patriot I Fist BUmp this message heh but we've seen Ireland players out the window before Vontae, and Marshall stick out the most obviously.