Fins are going to visit with Earl Thomas

103 replies

mrozmrozSupporterOP
Mar 16, 2010, 11:57 AM

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/gibril-wilson-was-a-bust-so-hes-gone-antrel-rolle-and-ryan-clark-didnt-feel-enough-love-from-the-miamis-bank-vault-restr.html

"Gibril Wilson was a bust so he's gone. Antrel Rolle and Ryan Clark didn't feel enough love from Miami's bank vault. Restricted free agency hasn't been an answer for Miami's free safety issues and neither Tyrone Culver nor Chris Clemons are probably the answer, either.


No wonder the Dolphins have scheduled a visit with Texas free safety Earl Thomas for the first week of April."

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

finyank13finyank13New Member
Mar 16, 2010, 12:11 PM

I always thought he would be top 3 of Miami's picks at 12..although I wish they would trade down, then get him, 12 is a little high for him...

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

mrozmrozSupporter
Mar 16, 2010, 12:23 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

I always thought he would be top 3 of Miami's picks at 12..although I wish they would trade down, then get him, 12 is a little high for him...


Personally, I think it is down to Thomas and B Graham. I wouldnt mind either guy at 12.

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

finyank13finyank13New Member
Mar 16, 2010, 12:24 PM

"mroz wrote:

Personally, I think it is down to Thomas and B Graham. I wouldnt mind either guy at 12.

I think Williams is there too...Parcells loves NT's....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

mrozmrozSupporter
Mar 16, 2010, 12:25 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

I think Williams is there too...Parcells loves NT's....


ahh, I don't think Williams is worth a 1st round pick much less the 12th over all pick. Taking Williams would be a huge mistake IMO.

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 16, 2010, 12:28 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

I think Williams is there too...Parcells loves NT's....

I don't, Williams is described as being as raw as Paul Soliai was when he came out of Utah, right now Williams has jumped from a 5th rd pick prior to the 09 season, all the way up to the mid first rd?

Not seein' it Bro.

KillerphinsKillerphinsNew Member
Mar 16, 2010, 12:46 PM

i don't think there is a chance we go safety with the first pick
they will take care of this in house or possibly still bring someone in
a parcells team has never taken a safety that early and it doesn't start now
i still think we go OLB

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 16, 2010, 12:54 PM

"Killerphins wrote:

i don't think there is a chance we go safety with the first pick
they will take care of this in house or possibly still bring someone in
a parcells team has never taken a safety that early and it doesn't start now
i still think we go OLB

I can see it though Killahp, only "if" they see Earl Thomas as a once every ten yrs player at his position, which he very well could be, ballhawking FS's that can also cover man to man are rare, and he is only 20 or 21.

Earl Thomas is a player I really like, if I were Ireland I'm not sure if I could pull the trigger on him, but I also think if we take him we will not regret it.

mrozmrozSupporter
Mar 16, 2010, 01:12 PM

"padre31 wrote:

I can see it though Killahp, only "if" they see Earl Thomas as a once every ten yrs player at his position, which he very well could be, ballhawking FS's that can also cover man to man are rare, and he is only 20 or 21.

Earl Thomas is a player I really like, if I were Ireland I'm not sure if I could pull the trigger on him, but I also think if we take him we will not regret it.


Agreed, when you think about it if you hit on E Thomas you have a starting FS for the next 10+ years. Combine that with Smith and Davis and you are set (for the most part) in your defensive backfield for years to come.

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

mrozmrozSupporter
Mar 16, 2010, 01:13 PM

"Killerphins wrote:

i don't think there is a chance we go safety with the first pick
they will take care of this in house or possibly still bring someone in
a parcells team has never taken a safety that early and it doesn't start now
i still think we go OLB



Couldnt you pretty much say the samething for the CB position before last season?

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 16, 2010, 01:31 PM

"mroz wrote:

Agreed, when you think about it if you hit on E Thomas you have a starting FS for the next 10+ years. Combine that with Smith and Davis and you are set (for the most part) in your defensive backfield for years to come.

Exactly, and we all saw the Bills ride a great secondary on an otherwise mediocre team to a far better record than what they would have had otherwise.

Difference is they did find J Byrd in rd #2, not #12.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Mar 16, 2010, 02:01 PM

IMO the top of their board is Bryant, E. Thomas and Graham. Spiller might be in there as well.

There been some rumors from an insider that Thomas is high on their board (I think they said that Thomas was among their top 5 players) and since they've now met with him twice, I don't see how anybody can doubt that he's a strong consideration.

I don't see Williams as a possibility. IMO he's over rated and he doesn't fit what they're looking for. If they go NT in the first, which I think is very unlikely, I see Odrick as a stronger possibility.

Eop05Eop05Supporter
Mar 16, 2010, 02:23 PM

"mroz wrote:

Couldnt you pretty much say the samething for the CB position before last season?

Also when's the last time a Parcells team went 2 years in a row without drafting a LB. 16 picks without a LB.

I ignore everyone who thinks they have the Parcells/Ireland regime drafting trends figured out

bakedmattbakedmattNew Member
Mar 16, 2010, 02:27 PM

Is anyone else worried about starting rookie free safety?

@matthewfpepin

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Mar 16, 2010, 02:30 PM

"rafael wrote:

IMO the top of their board is Bryant, E. Thomas and Graham. Spiller might be in there as well.

There been some rumors from an insider that Thomas is high on their board (I think they said that Thomas was among their top 5 players) and since they've now met with him twice, I don't see how anybody can doubt that he's a strong consideration.

I don't see Williams as a possibility. IMO he's over rated and he doesn't fit what they're looking for. If they go NT in the first, which I think is very unlikely, I see Odrick as a stronger possibility.

You're probably right Raffy. But, in the back of my mind I can't help but wonder if maybe it's all just a smoke screen. I mean, while many thought they were going CB with the first pick last year, few thought it would be Davis. Of ourse, few thought he'd still be on the board at #25 too. But, it could be their targeting another S in the 2nd or 3rd round (or later), and they're just trying to keep everyone off balance.

Just a thought...

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

mrozmrozSupporter
Mar 16, 2010, 02:34 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Exactly, and we all saw the Bills ride a great secondary on an otherwise mediocre team to a far better record than what they would have had otherwise.

Difference is they did find J Byrd in rd #2, not #12.

Personally I don't care where we get the player as long as he is a player.

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Mar 16, 2010, 02:42 PM

all this effort to find a FS. and none to find a #1 wr.

mrozmrozSupporter
Mar 16, 2010, 02:44 PM

"bakedmatt wrote:

Is anyone else worried about starting rookie free safety?

I am more worried about starting a Guy that can't play. Sure a rookie is going to have some growing pains but I am OK with hat as long as there is progress.

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

finyank13finyank13New Member
Mar 16, 2010, 02:51 PM

"padre31 wrote:

I don't, Williams is described as being as raw as Paul Soliai was when he came out of Utah, right now Williams has jumped from a 5th rd pick prior to the 09 season, all the way up to the mid first rd?

Not seein' it Bro.

Not saying I would have him, saying he would be in their board....Earl Thomas is a guy I have had intrigue with for a while at 12, actually got clowned on here a couple of times when I said so....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 16, 2010, 02:53 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

Not saying I would have him, saying he would be in their board....Earl Thomas is a guy I have had intrigue with for a while at 12, actually got clowned on here a couple of times when I said so....

Draft season is a marathon FY, one day a guy is up, the next day, down.

I liked D Morgan at #12 after I did not like him, now Mayock is saying he struggles in space.

Eh, whaddyagoing to do?

Fougetaboutit.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Mar 16, 2010, 02:55 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Draft season is a marathon FY, one day a guy is up, the next day, down.

I liked D Morgan at #12 after I did not like him, now Mayock is saying he struggles in space.

Eh, whaddyagoing to do?

Fougetaboutit.

hahaha true true...much like FA...your boy from the sticks is real high on him still though....

Jeff_Darlington
Sorry, bud. Source says he's still visiting with the team as of 2 p.m. Nothing to report yet. RT @direcsat07: hey anything yet on icognito?

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Mar 16, 2010, 02:56 PM

"The G Man wrote:

You're probably right Raffy. But, in the back of my mind I can't help but wonder if maybe it's all just a smoke screen. I mean, while many thought they were going CB with the first pick last year, few thought it would be Davis. Of ourse, few thought he'd still be on the board at #25 too. But, it could be their targeting another S in the 2nd or 3rd round (or later), and they're just trying to keep everyone off balance.

Just a thought...

They could be, but IIRC last year every one of our picks was somebody they'd spoken to and the majority were prospects they'd spoken to more than once. So while their interest in Thomas may be a smokescreen, I think it's more likely that he's a consideration at #12.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Mar 16, 2010, 02:59 PM

"bakedmatt wrote:

Is anyone else worried about starting rookie free safety?

There probably isn't a player we could draft who we wouldn't have some concerns about starting day 1. Whomever we draft will be worked in on some plays and will probably have some screw-ups. I'm no more concerned about starting a FS as I am about starting a WR or OLB.

JajJajNew Member
Mar 16, 2010, 03:47 PM

Probably the biggest day one impact player the team can find. He'd be an immediate difference-maker as a deep cover safety with two large CBs on the outsides supporting him. Everything over the top though isn't a jump ball though. Sure it won't help him that he's 5-10, but it's not the end of the world.

I would not be annoyed if we drafted Thomas, signed a veteran WR like Holt, drafted an OLB, and drafted a TE in the third round.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Mar 16, 2010, 03:59 PM

"Jaj wrote:

Probably the biggest day one impact player the team can find. He'd be an immediate difference-maker as a deep cover safety with two large CBs on the outsides supporting him. Everything over the top though isn't a jump ball though. Sure it won't help him that he's 5-10, but it's not the end of the world.

I would not be annoyed if we drafted Thomas, signed a veteran WR like Holt, drafted an OLB, and drafted a TE in the third round.

I can see this happening actually....good call...

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod