1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finnegan seems like he's all business.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Apr 9, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/20...-his-edge?_ga=1.88263259.176572814.1386871465

Some will say it's all talk, for that I reply at least he's talking about doing the right things, it makes us hold him accountable, our expectations are now higher because we know what level he can play at, and there really is no excuses now, he's young enough,healthy enough to return to form..

If he doesn't play at a high level, and it's not related to injury, his rep will be damaged..

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    He'll be cut in a year

UCF FINatic likes this.
  3. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    That's the spirit!!!

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if he'll succeed or what. But I do know he sang the exact same tune when he joined the Rams on that big contract that he went on to underperform. If we're talking about future accountability, it goes both ways. There needs to be accountability for the past as well. I continue to see the injury excuse propped up for his 2013 season but the two games he played with the eye injury were two of the best he played all year relatively speaking (though still poor overall).

5. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    This.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-Downer, but, Finnegan needs to not just say the right things. He needs to follow through on them. Especially considering what he's being paid.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    All of this is talk anyway. His intention to play with the style he claims he had when he made a name for himself...it's talk.

Bottom line to me is, will Miami give him responsibilities that better suit his skill set? That's where you could make your money. I'm not sure how much I buy this oh I played bad before but now I'm gonna play good stuff. Did the Rams ask him to do things that didn't fit his strengths? Are we going to do it better?

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

You're being negative? That is so unlike you.

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    This was really the only free agent signing I could do without. It's completely insane that we gave him that much when there were younger, cheaper, and better options available.

DomTheDolfan and 77FinFan like this.
  9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The only thing that matters is do you think he played at a high level before?, cause if the game was there, it can be achieved again.

10. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You have to hope he does pan out because he is a Dolphin now but I don't blame the negativity either.... there were better options to be had at the amount of money given to Finnegan...

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    its not insane at all, if your the GM and you believe that he is a good player, then analyze why his level dropped, then make a move in the game..how do you think you win, by playing it safe all the time, you have to take chances on these men, especially ones who have achieved success at a high level, and are still capable of getting back..

DOLPHAN1 and GMJohnson like this.
  12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If he retains his form do you think that form will be better than what was out there.?

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd say at best, that's a risky, not to mention pricey, proposition.

14. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    So, let me get this right. A player comes in and works his butt off to perform his best, but does not perform at a high level and that "damages his reputation?"

You either miscommunicated or this comment is utter nonsense. Better hope you don't get judged on the same stupidity standard someday.

His talent may not be at a high level at this point in his career - in which case it's the GM whose reputation will be damaged for misjudging the talent.

But a player can only control one thing: how hard he works. He cannot control the outcome of that work. I guarantee there are thousands of NFL wannabes who worked as hard as anyone ever has and never were able to make it as a starter. Their reputations don't get judged. Their abilities to play the game at the highest level do.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  15. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Great point. Considering what we had at CB last year I don't think Finnegan is a major risk. If Taylor and Davis can stay healthy and contribute there's a decent chance this year's group will outperform last year's.

djphinfan likes this.
  16. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Hopefully he plays as goos as Grimes did last year. It would be great if he and Grimes tried to one up each other and they turn out to be the best tandem in the NFL.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He's not just working his butt off, he's talking a big game, like he used to talk, if he doesn't regain his form, seeing that he's healthy and all, and I don't believe age is a factor either, then he's gonna take some heat no?

18. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    look dude we get it, you're the biggest homer on the board, we can all see that, you can stop trying to prove it to everybody. unless we draft a stud corner, I think our secondary will take a step back this year, Grimes isn't giving up zero TDs again, Carroll let less than half the passes targeting him get completed, I doubt anyone replicates that, Finnegan just flat out isn't good anymore, and I'll believe Taylor/Davis are difference makers when I see it on the field. Right now I have very little faith in many of Ireland's young draft picks. we only gave up 17 TDs through the air last season, that number's going up.

19. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Mr Clean for the love of the Phins stop teasing me!!!!!! I cant read your posts, I dont know if you make any sense or not as I am fixated. Please stop, ......no dont very hot, no stop canyt concentrate., ...................ugh! LOL

MrClean likes this.
  20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

**** THROWING WARNING:

A known punk who fought in a game gets better reception than Nate Burleson?

MrClean likes this.
  21. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    LB says the darndest things. ( me and my redneck vocab, ey bigbry ? :p ) last year it was Charles Clay who was simply " not a good football player ".Regardless of whether there were better options...Finnegan is an upgrade to one of the teams biggest weak spots of the past few seasons. His contract status after one year should ultimately be determined by the progress Taylor and Davis make in year 2 !

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  22. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Dont make me throw a ruckus, cuz I will 2

23. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Some players talk stuff to psyche themselves up to perform when they have something to prove after down years or injures (Finnegan)
    Others not as much and prove it on the field (Grimes)
    Let the man talk,right? No one here can predict what he'll bring to the table this season.
    I see him making the team no problem and coming in on nickle packages at worse.

24. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Is that you RZA?

25. MrClean

Tarell Brown signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract. The deal contains $3.4 million guaranteed -- a $2 million signing bonus and all of Brown's 2014 base salary. 2014: $1.4 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus)

Walter Thurmond signed a one-year, $3 million contract. The deal contains $2 million guaranteed -- a $1 million signing bonus and $1 million of Thurmond's base salary. Another $500,000 is available through incentives. 2014: $1.975 million.

Alterraun Verner signed a four-year, $25.5 million contract. The deal contains $14 million guaranteed. $6.4 million avg per season.

Nolan Carroll signed a two-year, $5.25 million contract. Another $1.75 million is available through incentives based on playing time.

Dimitri Patterson signed a one-year, $3 million contract. The deal included a $1 million signing bonus. 2014: $1.5 million (+ $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

Cortland Finnegan signed a two-year, $11 million contract. The deal contains $5.5 million guaranteed, including a $2 million signing bonus. 2014: $3.5 million, 2015: $5.45 million. $5.5 million avg per season.

For another $900k per season on avg, we could have potentially signed Verner.

You decide whether or not we got a good deal on Finnegan, based on contract size and recent past performance compared to these other corners.

Aqua4Ever04, cdz12250 and CaribPhin like this.
  26. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    You obviously know jack about either Finnegan or Burleson and are questioning people who know a whole lot more, because your certain Finnegan is a punk , but eager to defend the guy who missed a whole season because he crashed his car while eating pizza.

27. MrClean

I like pizza too. I guess on that day he was acting Italian. :shifty:

I'm not racist. Some of my best friends are black. :shifty:

28. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Its called being a fan there Sparky. Try looking up the definition (see below).

You're an asinine critic, at best, not a fan, so just waller in your own misery and quit trying to s*** on people all the damn time.

You're pathetic.

Bruzer and P h i N s A N i T y like this.
  29. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I'll (eventually) decide for myself whether we got good deal or not, but it definetley wont be based on how he played last year. I'd take him over all the guys mentioned but Verner.. who still isn't quite the player Finnegan is/was at his best.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I've always shown u respect on this board, always, if u wanna play games we can do that.

31. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    however, acting reetarded is more of a mental thing. :yes:

32. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, not a good deal. Overpaid even if he plays well IMO.

33. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
  34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The dude really talks good.

If he backs it up it should be fun.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's the eye of the tiger its the thrill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of our rivals, and the last lone survivor stalks his prey in the night, and na nana na nana..the eye of the tiger.

Sing it fella's

36. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Not being a professional athlete in a very physical contact sport, I really don't know, but among normal people talking about how tough you are could be a recipe for eventually getting his teeth handed to him. Hope he can walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'll take the fire in his belly, I know it sounds cliche but I'll take any kind of emotion I can get in that building..seriously.

38. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would have loved the Finnegan signing 3-4 years ago, but he just isn't the same player he was during his prime. Usually when a player starts to regress on the playing field as he gets older, it is very difficult for him to turn it around again.

Hopefully one of the CB's drafted in 2013 can step up and take hold of the spot opposite Grimes. I just don't see Finnegan as being an upgrade over what the Dolphins had at the CB position in 2013. In fact at this stage of his career, he is probably a downgrade from Nolan Carroll and I thought Carroll was only an average NFL CB last season.

While I prefer the Dolphins draft an offensive lineman or a LB with their first round selection. I wouldn't be upset in the least if they take one of the top CB's in the first round. The offensive line continues to be the weakest unit on the team, but the LB position and the secondary, particularly the CB position, are also big areas of need for this team.

39. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    and Italian? Damn that's interesting. :lol:

40. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    same with being a redneck :pointlol: