1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally, some love for Jeff Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Dec 20, 2013.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    azfinfanmang, gunn34, toto and 5 others like this.
  2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I know, I know... you want Dan Moreno for GM & Cowher for Head Coach, then draft a real QB for the franchise, hubris at best! don't know who our greatest adversary is... the media or the fan-base. Ross, Ireland, Philbin & Tannehill are the real deal, the best thing to happen to Miami since Shula.

MikeHoncho, LandShark13 and 2socks like this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't want Dan Moreno or Dan Marino to be GM of this team.

4. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Don't you just love the fluff pieces about a man who is going to get fired after the season?

ASOT, gafinfan, Boik14 and 3 others like this.
  5. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I don't know. He does some quality film work.

[video=vimeo;10542942]http://www.vimeo.com/10542942[/video]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Da 'Fins, GISH, Rocky Raccoon and 2 others like this.
  6. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    cool story, bro

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    we can do soooooooo much better. raise your standards dude.

ASOT likes this.
  9. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

You start off with a post spelling "Dan Marino" wrong, the rest is ignored.

10. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    Sure some of his players make plays.. The rest of his players stink.. We are not a good team, and if you want to give credit to Ireland for this average season fine.. A mediocre team built by a mediocre gm..

more credit goes to joe.. He has squeezed blood out of a turnip with this roster...

credit Ireland with this fun fact, wheeler and ellerby are amongst the worse lb tandems in the league at stoping the run and missed tackles.. Facts...

ASOT, roy_miami and Aquafin like this.
  11. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Wow. Someone who actually supports our GM and coaching staff. This board might have hope after all. Nice to see.

gunn34, toto, GMJohnson and 2 others like this.
  12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Totally disagree with your statement. Joe finally got his players playing up to their talent. The rest of the players do not stink. The team actually has good depth at more positions than it doesn't.

resnor, ElNino, the 23rd and 2 others like this.
  13. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    :barf:

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, there is really not much "credit" to be given as of yet, we have not done anything.

8 win seasons are not enough to give credit, and we've been "here" before in 09 and in 10.

Let's see what the next couple of weeks brings, could prove people right or very wrong..laughably so.

15. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Could prove his own worth too if we win a playoff for example, just saying :)

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I knew I had you on ignore for a reason.

Dammit, Dupree, why'd you have to damage my eyes by quoting this prattle?! [​IMG]

17. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Let the season play out... Things are definitely heading in the proper direction though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Let's think objectively here, if the coaching staff hadn't done well in developing our QB, we'd be a terrible team. We have objectively the worst O-line in football, bottom tier runningbacks, and sub-par linebackers. Our staff has to get more credit for getting this far with our team.

Does Rishard Matthews and Brian Hartline make up for Ernest Wilford, Brandon London, Patrick Turner, Clyde Gates, Brandon Marshall, or Roberto Wallace?

Pouncey make up for Shawn Murphy, Donald Thomas, Justin Smiley, Joe Berger, Ray Feinga, Lydon Murtha, Jake Grove, Pat Mcquistan, or Jonathan Martin?

Does Ryan Tannehill make up for Chad Henne, Josh McCown, and Pat White?

Remember all those yards we got from Lex "I'm an NFL running back for real" Hilliard?

I mean he's had enough chances to build a playoff team. Chance should dictate we'd have to make it at some point.

EDIT: How telling is it that we can find it refreshing that there's a positive piece about the GM...and it's from the team's own media arm.

I heard Chinese state run TV had a very positive piece on Chairman Mao the other day. Took the media long enough :shifty:.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wee bit of goal post moving there D22, if we make the playoffs is/was the bar.

Keep in mind, the guys making plays for us, Wake, Grimes, Matthews, Clay, Hartline, Thomas, Miller, Clemons, Vernon, Starks heck even Carroll all have one thing in common.

Which is fine, guys can make great plays what matters is winning, and winning a lot.

To me, I never heard of Wally Buono saying "yeah we made the playoffs but were gone in the first rd and I'm happy with it"

Nope, never happened, when BC lost in the first rd when Lulay became the Starter after Printers tore his ACL (and still played on it) he did not then not make huge changes the next season.

Those are my goal posts ultimately, however first thing first, Wally B had to find his Qb

Reason I say that is MMoore was coming off a great 2011 season when Ireland went balls out in 2012 and took Tannehill, if it were win now then MMoore would have remained the Qb and the safer pick would have been made a Tackle or LG or whomever.

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
  21. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I doubt Knowshon could be an effective General Manager. Not sure about the other guy though.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

LBsFinest likes this.
  22. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    well I knew this save Ireland crap would pop up sooner or later. Had we lost to the Steelers and a couple of other games then we would not even be talking about playoffs . we were lucky more then anything. if Ireland stays there will be a 80% chance that we have a let down season next year.

ASOT likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So you're saying the past is more important than the present? Does that mean we should cut Charles Clay after this season since he didn't do much his first 2 years?

24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    AGAIN, Parcells' team. Parcells' blueprint. Parcell's coaching staff. Parcells' grocery list. Those FACTS have been abundantly presented.
    Is it really that difficult for people to understand something so incredibly simple as separating Ireland's time in control from Parcells'? Mind boggling.

rafael likes this.
  25. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Was Jeff Ireland's job to develop on the job? Are General Managers usually developmental jobs? Did we pick him in the sixth round of the GM college draft expecting him have to sit behind an entrenched veteran? Was there a huge difference in the technology and training used in his old institution such that once he got here he should have improved by a lot?

I mean at least try to compare like things.

ASOT and LBsFinest like this.
  26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I've said this for at least three years. Ireland would either have had to be absolutely complicit in those picks or else remarkably stupid. Would he really sit there and allow for the team to be destroyed and take his reputation and future employment opportunities down as well if he wasn't agreeable to the choices?

Would you have sat there and allowed Bill Parcells to ruin both the team and you? If he did, his autobiography should be titled Jeff Ireland: Life As a Human Puppet.

Otherwise, it should be subtitled My Life as a Professionally Unaware Dolt.

More realistically, "You Win Some, You Lose A Lot, But A Good QB Can Make Anyone Look Good".

ASOT, MrClean, finfansince72 and 3 others like this.
  27. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol who cares, you said you wanted the Ginger out too, you already joined the dark side.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    sorry, sorry

ToddPhin likes this.
  29. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    If Jeff Ireland developed on the job it wasn't with the Miami Dolphins.

Ireland was a scout for the NFL Combine from 94-96, then went to the Kansas City Chiefs from 97-2000. Ireland was a scout for Dallas from 2001-2005. In 2005 he was promoted to Vice president of Scouting. Ireland filled that spot until January of 2008. During this time 38 of 53 starters where drafted under Ireland including 12 of 22 starters. Dallas went 13-3 in Irelands last year.

Ireland had an immediate impact when he came here in 2008. Do we forget 1-15. The next year under Ireland we won the AFC East at 11-5 and made the playoffs.

Ireland has methodically built a solid team with depth. Are we done? No. But we are on our way.

GMJohnson and the 23rd like this.
  30. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

But I thought Bill Parcells did that. Which is it guys?

ASOT and jdang307 like this.
  31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It would seem as though our owner, who consults with external sources on important matters, disagrees with all this, and I'm guessing that has more to do with knowing the facts than being bamboozled by Jeffrey the Great. Maybe Mr Ross should write a book, eh--- "The Successful Billionaire Who Got Swindled By The Decent Father of Two Autistic Children".

Why should Ireland be worried about his reputation and future employment when he was with Parcells? Do actually think those two were constantly isolated in soundproofed rooms or something, as if no one else knew what went on within the organization? While Miami fans were busy trying to hate on Ireland and blame him for Parcells' failure, he was having glowing praised heaped on him in defense around the league by NFL personnel and coaches who are actually familiar with him, so apparently "being worried about his NFL reputation" is nothing but a fan-contrived notion. The entire NFL knows it was Parcells' show, Parcells' blueprint, Parcells' choice of offensive system, Parcells' choice in failed coaches, Parcells who orchestrated much of the draft, and Parcells and Brian Gaine who were mostly responsible for free agency. What do you think Ireland should've done, tender his resignation and forego a chance to run an NFL team after Parcells shortly steps down so that he could instead return to a lower position where he possibly might never see a legitimate GM opportunity again? C'mon.

the 23rd, GMJohnson and djphinfan like this.
  32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    TBH, I despise the current structure of the Dolphins Franchise b/c no one who was not there can say one way or another, with certainty whose moves were whose.

Ireland can extract the good and push the bad on Parcells...or he COULD do that...

Until Ryan Tannehill came to town and Ireland put his balls into the vice, if THill had turned into JVille's train wreck of a Qb Blaine Gabbert, then sure, he deserves little praise and probably should be fired.

However, Tannehill has come through, so now what?

I know the litany of Ireland's weaknesses and strengths better then either haters or defenders, this question for me is a 80% answer, however the utterly terrible offensive line play and poor FA signing fits cause me to say I'm not 100% on him

Wallace has a 1k season, Bline has a 1k season Clay has a great season, Vernon et al, these are credits to Ireland.

Keep in mind folks, most fans were all about "Hartline does not score Td's!!!!" for years, the same guy Ireland texted upon drafting "we got Hartline!"

33. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Jeff Ireland's career as a GM will be marked by:

1. Severely overpaying free agents.
    2. Missing more than he hits in the first three rounds of the draft.
    3. Drafting very few high level players who are difference makers on the field.
    4. A poor approach to the media and fans in general.
    5. Several public missteps that have been documented and have tainted the reputation of this once great franchise.

The bottom line is even if his track record as a GM was not marred by his poor free agent decisions, missed drafting opportunities in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in particular, and overall lack of high end players that he has drafted, he should be fired for his lack of consistent character alone. Looking back on it, he should have been fired for his inappropriateness in his line of questioning with Dez Bryant. It is irrelevant that not drafting Dez was the right decision. Good people do not ask the question that Jeff asked.

This team has a man who is a great person and has impeccable character in Joe Philbin. It is time to pair him with a similar GM.

34. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I'm not sure what all the fuss is about..

Every team has an all pro player at EVERY single position...... with a super star back up just in case.

2socks and GMJohnson like this.
  35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't know who is more injurious & unfair to the franchise, the media or segments of the fan-base? be it as it may, Ireland, Philbin & Tannehill are "keepers" by any reasonable standard. I'm looking forward to making the play-offs this year & winning the Superbowl next

• Tight end Charles Clay: It really started with Clay. Who knew if there was a player on the roster who could replace Dustin Keller? Who knew that Clay, a former sixth-round pick, would have a Pro Bowl caliber season? Think where the Dolphins would be without him.

• Wide receiver Rishard Matthews: Another pretty good late round pick, don’t you think? Matthews was taken in the seventh round of the 2012 draft. He resided deep down the depth chart when the season began. But a season-ending injury to Brandon Gibson created the opportunity that Matthews needed and he has responded with some huge plays, including a diving 24-yard catch in the fourth quarter on Sunday.

• Defensive back Jimmy Wilson: A seventh-round pick in 2011, Wilson is as versatile as any player on this team. He was switched permanently to safety a year ago, but stepped in at cornerback against the Patriots when the starters went down with injuries. A week earlier, he blocked a punt against Pittsburgh. Wilson doesn’t make headlines; he just makes plays.

• Offensive guard Sam Brenner: An undrafted rookie out of Utah, Brenner kept turning heads on the practice field. He got his big chance against the Steelers and played well enough to earn a starting job against New England. I’ve got a feeling he’s going to stay in the starting lineup for a while. He doesn’t have the great size or power you may be looking for in a guard, but he is intelligent and tenacious and just doesn’t make many mistakes.

• Tight end Michael Egnew: Remember Egnew? He was the source of much criticism as a rookie, a third-round pick who just didn’t produce. So many of us had given up on him. He was truthfully an afterthought when the season began. Well, now he’s earning his keep. Egnew plays some fullback in the base offense and his drawn praise for his blocking. He caught two passes against the Patriots and has gained the trust of this coaching staff.

• Running back Marcus Thigpen: We know him best as the guy who returns kickoffs and punts, but Thigpen has meant much more than that to this team. He is a change-of-pace running back who has a certain number of plays called specifically for his talents. One such play was the game-winning catch against the Patriots when Thigpen adjusted well to make a tough play look easy.

• Safety Don Jones: Another seventh-round pick. Another long shot. Another player who has quietly put together a nice season. For Jones, it is on special teams. He is tied for the team lead with nine special teams tackles and who can forget the jarring tackle on Harry Douglass that forced a huge late-game fumble in the victory over Atlanta?

Certainly there are others. Each week the script changes. Last Sunday was Michael Thomas’ moment. Maybe this Sunday in Buffalo it will be someone else. One thing, though, is certain: Without these back-up players stepping up, without the important depth that they provide, the Dolphins wouldn’t be having this type of season.

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/201...-be-overlooked

nice to see something positive once in a while... honest, fair & balanced
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,6609761.story

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yes. The entire football world was aware of it, apparently everyone but the Miami fans who grew to besiege him. Selective comprehension is a good way to describe it.

Are you serious?! Firstly, only a novice to employment would think General Managers aren't developed. Seriously man, how many professions DON'T involve development prior to reaching their highest potential?! Was the Mona Lisa Da Vinci's first painting? Secondly, nice hyperbole..... which is amusing considering it's a well known fact that Ireland was brought in for that VERY reason- to sit and learn behind the veteran Parcells.

More irony- you requesting to compare like things when Ireland had never before been a GM. And sorry but LOL at you suggesting development only occurs via change in either technology or the type of training used. How about the fact that the person is actually training? Isn't that the point of training someone, to develop them? You make it sound like this is a Starbucks franchise for cryin' out loud, which is a further display of irony b/c even their General Managers go through a training and development period, and I'm guessing they'll tell you that they're a better GM after their first year than they were when handed the title. Only difference is, the Starbucks GM inherits a product and system that's already successful rather than having to essentially tear it all down and start over from scratch. But heaven forbid a guy tagged to become a GM in the NFL should have to endure any learning and developing, right. :unsure:

2socks, the 23rd and dWreck like this.
  37. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Jesus. Do you people make reality up as you go? Your deduction is no substitute for the truth. If you please, furnish us with evidence of these claims that a team coming off a 1-15 season would want to hire a developmental front office. Seriously imagine the trajectory of this team if Chad Pennington hadn't been cut or hadn't stayed healthy.

38. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Dan Moreno? In Miami? Makes a hell of a lot more sense than Marino.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

the 23rd likes this.
  39. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    At the very least, nice to see some folks in the media pointing out the positives. If you're going to judge so harshly for the failures, then the successes should be credited. Otherwise it's just a bunch of *****in and moanin. Thanks for posting this.

I just want to win. If irelands the guy that gets us the players to get there, good on him. If not surely a change will be made. Still playing out at the moment.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Have you ever had a job? I'm not asking to be a douche btw, its just that in every job, you have to do what the boss tells you or you leave the job. Its really very simple.