1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Mock and Thoughts ...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by PHINANALYST, Apr 22, 2010.

1. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Just as much as i believed that we would trade for Marshall (because it just made too much sense and the cost was reasonable); i believe that we will trade down - possibly even out of the rd 1. I see several teams moving up to near top 10, then i also see several teams trying to jump back into the latter part of rd 1 -- and we could help both situations. Additionally, i see us trading Smiley on draft day for a 4-5th rd pick. And of course, there is always the prospect of trading Brown and either Pennington or Thigpen. i'm very happy with the way round 1 went ... we got Odrick, our replacement 2d round pick, and a likely backup ILB (Dobbins). Oh, and the PATSIES, JESTS and JILLS did not make themselves appreciably better in rd 1.

Rd 1 targets: Berry, Morgan, Hughes, McClain, Odrick (surprise pick would be Pouncey)
    IF we pick, as much as i like Hughes as a WOLB, i stick with Morgan as a much needed SOLB, Odrick to help DE/NT a la Starks, or McClain to shore up ILB for the long haul and trade Crowder. It is also very possible that we go against the grain and trade up for Berry ... but i see this as a very long shot. Odrick was a solid pick and was still there with the trade down as predicted. He will be a nice addition at DE (yes, DE for this year) ... think he will be a solid player for us, and most likely an upgrade at DE with the potential to move to NT in a year or two. He may see some spot NT time this year ... but see him mostly as a DE.

Rd 2 targets (yes, i do believe we will acquire a 2d rd pick): Jones, Allen, Burnett, Lane, Carrington, Alualu, Joseph. There are several good players here and the pick clearly is dictated by whom we choose - if anyone in rd 1. Since we 'seem' to like Wright, i will go against me previous belief of Burnett at S here and go with Joseph, Lane, Carrington or Alualu. To me THIS pick is the table setter for the rest of the draft (and one we don't even have - YET). Well, we DO have the 2d round pick now .... BUT, guess what -- we'll probably trade down a bit further in the round and pick up another 3d round pick !! We took Odrick, so i don't see a need for Carrington and Alualu is gone ... so the likely candidates are Allen, Burnett, Jones and Joseph ... i know most believe we really like Wright in rd 3 ... and its too early to take Joseph (but it wouldn't be too surprising), so i will revert back to Burnett or a slight reach for Lane as our target after we trade down -- again. I think this regime really likes Lane and his likeness to Ware and we should be able to trade down in the round and still get him.

Rd 3 targets (we have 1 pick right now, but believe we will end up with 2): any of the above listed and add Lang, Butler, Thomas, Troup, Cook and Ansa. As stated above, i would go with Wright. Additionally, IF for some strange reason we don't have a SOLB by this pick - then Lane / Lang for the 2d 3d rd pick. IF we already have a SOLB: Morgan / Lane, then go NT with Joseph /Thomas / Troup. as above, believe we end up with 2 X 3d rd picks tonight: IF we don't go with Burnett in rd 2, then it pretty much makes Wright a certain 3d rd pick; IF we do go Burnett then Lane; with Joseph / Thomas as the 2d 3d rd pick.

Rd 4 targets: (we have 1 pick right now, but believe if we can't come up with a 2d 3d rd pick in the trade down, we settle for a 2d 4th rd pick -- in addition, Smiley will be traded for a 4th/5th rd pick): any of the above add Dillard and Cooper. Pick 1 will complete the SOLB, NT, S, DE (ILB) requirements for this draft. Pick 2 would be a 2d OLB or venture down the TE road with Graham or Pitta. Pick 3 would be same as above but add in Dixon, Hardesty or Gerhart.

Rd 5 targets: (we have 1 pick right now, but believe Smiley will be traded for either a 4th or 5th rd pick): any of the above and add in Chaney, Quarless, Hardy, Jefferson, Johnson, Wilson, Young, Edds, Tracy and Owens. This is the second opportunity for RB /TE and a chance to double up on OLB and S.

Rd 6 targets: the collection basket for free fall players or projects: add in Eskridge, Vaughn, Phillips, Easley, Barnes, McGaha, Cook, Tepper, Smith, Peek to the mix. i thought we'd venture into a WR project earlier - but the addition of Marshall pushes it down in priority. Of these 3 picks, would believe we may use at least 1 to move up in rds 3-5 to get some targeted players. Of the 2 remaining picks: would go with S and WR.

Rd 7 targets: the project box: add in Linkenbach, Barker, Young, Sheffield, Galetter. Same as above, believe we'll use at least 1 of these picks to move up in rds 3-5.

Looking forward to the best draft to date under this regime !!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Bumrush likes this.
  2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Great work!!

3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    This proves there are some really scouts on this site.