Final Fantasy 14 News, Links, General Discussion
29 replies
So I thought it would be good to start a general news and discussion thread for the highly anticipated MMORPG Final Fantasy 14.
MMORPG- Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (for example World of Warcraft is an MMORPG.)
Purpose of this Thread: News, Links, and Discussion about the MMORPG Final Fantasy 14.
Please post any news(preferably solid news not rumors) and links you have here in this thread. However, rumors ARE up for open discussion of course!
To start us off, who all is excited about the upcoming release of Final Fantasy 14? I know I am!
Also, here are a few links that I'd like to share in case you haven't already seen them.
http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/ -official site for the game. There is A LOT of good information here including some trailers.
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/4285-famitsu-site-update-main-site-update-to-come/?
-The above link is a great news site about Final Fantasy 14, I didn't post the HOME link, but I posted a link there, that will bring you to some recent exciting news about the game, complete with pics and commentary etc. This site also has a podcast about the game that they update from time to time.
http://www.youtube.com/finalfantasyxiv -a youtube channel dedicated to news etc. about Final Fantasy 14, it currently only has one video but if you haven't seen ya gotta!!!
Ok that should be enough to get us started, hopefully we'll see some posts on this thread..... if not, ya can't say I didn't try!
Have a blessed day everyone!!! :thumbup1:
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
heh Saw thread and thought ohh someone else looking forward to 14, cool, I'll have to tell Bob. :lol:

"Starry31 wrote:
heh Saw thread and thought ohh someone else looking forward to 14, cool, I'll have to tell Bob. :lol:
And so you did! LOL :lol: :hi5:
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
Pic of a Lalafell mage (in final fantasy 11 the race that was similar is called taru)
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
A Hyur(Human race) Gladiator
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
This is a fairly recent screen shot of some in game battle. This is very different from what we first saw in those early in game videos.
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
A Roegadyn(formerly Galka) Marauder (a melee damage dealer class)
This is probably Starry31's favorite pic of all the pics released recently.
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
Yeah, as am I. Since quitting FFXI in 05' I've played multiple MMORPGs and WoW has held my attention for a bit, but since about Halloween I've just been waiting for FFXIV and TOR (The Old Republic). Hoping one of the two can be a solid MMO.
Not sure how many people on this forum are interested in 14, least at this stage, but some good information has been rolling out. If more than just me and Bob (Soldier) are interested I'll ramble about stuff, if it's just us then I'll call him lol. For one is the fact you will pick a birthday and deity when you select your character. Birthday is something new for any MMO I've played, probably just get a free cake in the mail or NPCs say happy birthday while walking by but still cool.
The deity is something I guess we can only speculate on for now. I'm guessing it's not permanent but wouldn't be shocked if it was, and what role will it play? Could be as little as something you just pick when making a character, could grant a unique ability or boost a passive stat like Strength, could have a quest chain involving your particular deity, or maybe they play a large role in your character's personal story. Be interested to see more information on all of that.
Here is the video Bob talked about in first post, no combat but just shows off some of the graphics which look nice.

"Phin-o-rama wrote:
I am very pumped for this game
I hear ya bro so am I...ever since I heard the announcement from the E3 vid that posted on playstation network June 2nd 09 I was shocked....hooked....and looking forward to it all at the same time! Starry (that was also his name on Kujata server) was my closest buddy on FF11. I was Whtknight. We both were Paladins for a while...I stuck with Pally and Starry switched to Warrior which he got to 75(lvl cap at the time). I got to lvl 62...but I was more doing the social thing instead of leveling. I got white mage to lvl 42 and really liked being main healer so maybe some of that again in FF14.
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
NEW QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS!!!
Hey so I was wondering, what race and class are you most excited about being in Final Fantasy 14?
I'm really thinking about the Wild Wood Elezen (similar to the original Elvaan from FF11) But then there's the Highland Hyur(a variation of the human race.) And then everyone loves the Taru Taru(from ff11) but in this case they are called Lalafell. (in the life in Eorzea vid the Japanese narrators said lalafelluoooo!! lol)
Now as far as class I'm looking at Gladiator for tanking and then I'm guessing Thaumaturge will be closest to a healing/buff class so there's another possibility.
Then for damage dealing I'm considering the other mage class Conjurer(like a black mage....elements and the like.)
So again, what about you guys...what race/class do you think you wanna play in Final Fantasy 14? :w00t:
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
Definitely worthy for my PC. I wonder how much it will cost per month.
You'd be pretty safe betting $15, give or take a dollar. Then probably slightly reduced price if you do a 3, 6, 12 month subscription at a time.

"Starry31 wrote:
You'd be pretty safe betting $15, give or take a dollar. Then probably slightly reduced price if you do a 3, 6, 12 month subscription at a time.
Sounds about right. (WoW is 15 dollars a month so unless it were to go up or down, FF14 will probably be in the same range.):up:
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
"Phin-o-rama wrote:
I am very pumped for this game
How's that beta code working out for you?
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
How's that beta code working out for you?
From what I can tell, they actually are still in Alpha stage (even tho the official FF14 site says the beta site is up.) The alpha testers are using the beta site for news and info etc.
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
A real quick note, there's a lot of stuff leaking from the Alpha version of FF14 regardless of the strict NDA (non disclosure aggrement). I'd give ya links but well... I don't know any at the moment and if I did I'd probably better email them to ya or somethin' so I don't get in trouble myself lol!
So just google content on the FF14 alpha and I'm sure you'll find some new tidbits.
Had I more time I might post something more substantial but I don't right now... have a blessed day everyone! :thanx:
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
Another Pic
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
A Lalafell thinking... umm... mayyyybe I SHOULDN'T poke that monster?????
:lol:
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
Maybe a quote similar to the pic above.
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
The World map??? This is posted on http://www.ffxivcore.com/
Musta been a screen taken in Alpha... or possibly a magazine pic.
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
Posted this one for Starry31, he's our resident fisherman for video games. Ya know, even with that mustache... this creepy lookin' Taru (Lalafell) looks like a kid....or at least too young for facial hair lol!
Titans General Manager
Thephins.com Madden Franchise PS3
The hands-on at E3 doesnt sound too impressive. Sounds like it's a newer prettier FF11. Which in my humble opinion is a horrible horrible thing.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/16/preview-final-fantasy-xiv/
Unfortunately, the game's beautiful world is marred by the returning, clumsy user interface. To interact with an object, you have to go near it, target it, open up your action menu, and click "Yes, of course I want to pick up this stupid page, I walked all the way over here, didn't I?" Actually, it just says "Examine," but that's how I read it in my mind.
The combat is similarly hamstrung -- to attack something, you have to target it, press a key to initiate combat, and then choose attacks from a skilbar at the bottom of the screen. Each attack requires a set amount of Stamina, which slowly recovers as the battle goes on. It's as close as MMOs are going to get to replicating turn-based gameplay in an online world, but it lacks some of the fluidity and speed of other entries in the genre.
yesssssssssssssssssss
Fin D;2829671 wrote:
As mor wisely said
Eek, that review doesn't sound great. One of my concerns has been how they will "modernize" XIV, I don't want a WoW clone or an easy game but some things should be simple and easy. Something like an unnecessary step interacting with a quest item or attacking a mob might not seem major but when you'll be doing it thousands of times if you play long enough it's something that will get annoying. Especially when a lot of MMO players are used to other systems that work better.
I played FFXI for a little over a year I think and really enjoyed the game, but it was my first MMO so I didn't have much to compare it with. It's still early for XIV and in a PvE only game I don't think you need a twitch combat system, something with a little more strategy involved could work.

Haven't been updating this with every little thing since I'm not sure how many are interested and game isn't right around corner, but this is a pretty good news bit.
Apparently the Collector's Edition is to be released on September 22, 2010, while the standard edition will see release on September 30th, 2010. The PS3 version will be launched sometime in March, 2011.
Really excited for this and if September wasn't great enough due to NFL starting, now there's also FF XIV starting. Pricing model and recommended specs are also out, the benchmark came out a week or two ago for those wanting to test their systems but numbers seem a little off so keep that in mind.
* The monthly subscription fee will be £8.99 ($12.99) with additional characters available for £2.10 ($3.00) a month. A maximum of eight characters can be registered on any one account.
* Each account is eligible for one free retainer (a non-playable character that maintains item sales and storage when users are logged out) with each additional retainer costing £0.70 ($1.00).
Windows XP/Vista/7, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2GHz, 2GB of RAM, 15GB HDD space, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 512MB or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512MB and DirectX 9
FFXIV Core is a good site that lists XIV news and I just copied and pasted from their site, the release date news can be found on the official site though.
