1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few stats for those who say we have to pass to win

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Sep 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100927_enter_the_red_zone_1808

"Lots of passing does not equal a win

Of the seven quarterbacks who threw the most passes in Week 3 (Kyle Orton, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Chad Henne, Shaun Hill, Peyton Manning and Alex Smith), only one guy (Peyton Manning) came away with a victory (1-6). In addition, quarterbacks who throw for more than 50 passes in a game this season are currently 1-6 (Matt Schaub won in Week 2).

The five NFL teams with the most rushing attempts this season (Atlanta, Kansas City, Tennessee, Oakland, Pittsburgh) are currently a combined 11-4.

Does that mean running the ball translates to wins?

You tell me, because the five NFL teams that have the most balanced run-to-pass ratio (Atlanta, New York Jets, Green Bay, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay) are a combined 9-5."

Funny how some people talk about what we need to do to win, yet the statistics completely disagree. I'm not calling anyone out, of course...just sharing some information.

2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    But haven't you heard.
    Passing the ball 50 times is way more entertaining. :wink2:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I get what your saying:

"Go get Peyton Manning"

4. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Offense wasn't the problem. Defense makes a couple stops and we win.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    The defense shows up before halftime and we probably win too.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

It's flawed logic. I'd be willing to bet all of those guys who lost had to throw because they were behind.

Clipse, eric, miamiron and 7 others like this.
  7. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

HC is right on.....

They had to throw because they were behind.

8. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Yeah, and we had to throw because we were behind. Throwing the ball usually means you're behind. At least that many times.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Indeed. More indicative of bad defense.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't recall anybody ever saying you had to pass a lot to win. I do recall many people saying you had to pass efficiently to win.

11. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I seem to recall a dozen or more threads inthe past week saying exactly that, which is why I started this post to begin with.

Killerphins likes this.
  12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair to the OP, even though I don't necessarily agree with his point, there were plenty of people here that said, despite efficiently passing the ball, that we needed to pass more and "open up the offense" after last weeks game.

13. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    :up:

Exactly.

This is just another inflamatory thread attempting to paint individuals that were having an enlightened discussion about our team as Malcontents that want to see Peyton Manning like performances every week.

This couldn't be farther from the truth but lets not let that stop the thread starter.

14. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Stats often don't tell the whole story though.

15. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    We didn't expect our defense to collectively
    bend over and "open up"

16. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    We have nothing to be ashamed of. We played a tough team, we threw the kitchen sink at them and really made them earn every yard right down to the wire. There were a few mistakes that will haunt us for a couple of days, and then we need to move on. It was a loss, a learning experience and a humbling game. I wish the ending was different but it will build character down the line. One thing is certain - NO ONE WILL THINK THAT THIS TEAM IS A PUSHOVER ANYMORE. If they are going to beat us, they will have to earn it. You can bet that the JETS are pretty damn soar today.

17. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Word. Correlation =/= Causation.

18. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Bottom line is you have to have balance to win in this league. Sure, there will be games where you rely more on the run and others the pass but all in all you need to balance it out and be effective to win games.

Coral Reefer and cobrajet like this.
  19. tx-fin

tx-fin Keeping the faith

Sep 11, 2010
    See name
    I think it's more of a "when" than "how much". We had opportunities in the red zone where we kept throwing, when running would have maybe been better.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think that's a common misconception. I know I have said we needed to pass more than the 5 first half attempts than we had in Minny. I know I felt the offense needed to be opened up more. I also know that I don't want an offense that passes 40 times per game or even 60% of the time. I want an offense that passes efficiently meaning 7.0 YPA and passes between 50% and 55% of the time. There's a big gap between passing 5 times in a half and passing 50 times a game. I see your stats showing that it doesn't make sense to pass 50 times per game, but I don't see it showing that we shouldn't open up the offense more than we did last week.

21. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    They're not my stats, and I've had faith in Henne all along....I was never trying to dispute that we shouldn't pass more often. I was simply showing where someone else pointed out that the teams with the highest rushing attempts collectively have the most wins.

As to the other points...sure. You could say that the passing teams lost because they were behind. You can just as easily say that the running teams were ahead because they ran the ball.....add it all up and it means absolutely nothing.

I was simply tired of supposed "Fin fans" bashing our QB and confusing a strong running game for a coaching staff that did not trust their quarterback.