1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite/Best On-Screen Detectives

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Galant, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Anyone love a good mystery/police show?

I certainly do, and there are loads of them. From literary adaptations to original on-screen creations there are dark characters, gritty, hard-nosed detectives, genius intellects and unassuming masterminds. There are also classic tales and modern settings, humorous entertainment and suspenseful thrillers. The are many different takes on the inquiring minds that make up mystery TV, and some of the most recognisable and inspirational characters in all of fiction are detectives.

I want to ask, who are your all-time favourite detectives, as individuals, and also, what are the best detective/mystery TV shows and movies that you would recommend?

To kick things off I'll go with a semi-recent favourite - DCS Christopher Foyle from the TV series Foyle's War.

DCS Foyle is a senior detective working in Hastings (famous for the Battle of Hastings in 1066 which is often referred to as the beginning of England as a nation - somewhat incorrectly, in my view). The series begins shortly before the beginning of World War Two and as those major events start to unfold Foyle find himself forced to continue on with 'normal' policework despite wanting to go 'do his bit' in the war itself. It continues on, building the cast and the plotlines, intersecting the events of World War Two with 'normal' life in England. Foyle himself is pure class. He plays the part of the unflappable Brit to perfection, but more than a caricature he's a man of serious and profound honour and commitment and as they say, "still waters run deep".

I actually didn't make it through the first episode in the first sitting. I don't know if I was tired but it didn't grab me and so I turned it off, despite it being recommended by a friend. When I returned to it another time I watched it through and it began to hook me in. It takes about two or three episodes before the basic main cast is assembled, but the series only builds and builds as it goes on, and the writing and the characters are excellent.

They ended the series but had to bring it back due to popular demand, and then eventually it of course came to a close once more. I honestly wish they would keep on writing them.

Each episode is around 1.5 hrs long - so it's more a mini-series format than normal 45 min. TV series. They're all totally worth it.

There aren't really any gimmicks here, and although it's a serious series it's not overly dark like lots of other series now, nor is it gory or anything like that.

Strong recommendation from me if you enjoy police detectives and perhaps a bit of history.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I might check it out. I just recently finished watching Sherlock, which is also 90 minutes per episode. It took me two years to get through it, because I don't like to binge watch even short shows, and I want to watch each one in a single setting.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Sherlock was a masterpiece IMO. easily one of my top 10 shows of all time. been awhile since I've seen it, may have to rewatch the whole series soon.

Galant likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The Doctor from Dr. Who.

5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Columbo.

6. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    That's an interesting take. Doctor Who being a sci-fi/horror-light show more than a detective show the Dr. isn't normally thought of as a detective.

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He solves a lot of mysteries.

8. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Morgan Freeman in Se7en.