1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Dolphin Draft Class Since Inception?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finrunner, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    What's your favorite Miami Dolphin Draft Class of all time? This has probably been done before in other places, but let's do it here.

Just throwing out some notables and not covering everyone in each draft class (the older ones had far more rounds) or even all the ones that made the team. I've highlighted some of those years that I thought were better, but that's just my opinion.

1967: Bob Griese, Larry Seiple
    1968: Larry Csonka, Doug Crusan, Dick Anderson, Jim Kiick, Randall Edmunds (just mentioning him because somehow I had his football card later on 0 I was only 1 in '68)
    1969: Bill Stanfill, Bob Heinz, Mercury Morris, Lloyd Mumphord
    1970: (traded our # 1 to Cleveland for Warfield), Jim Mandich, Tim Foley, Curtis Johnson, Jake Scott, Mike Kolen (from AUBURN!!!)
    1971: (traded # 1 to Baltimore for Coach Don Shula), Vern Den Herder
    1972: (traded # 2 to Cleveland for Bob Matheson), Charlie Babb
    1973: (traded # 1 to Buffalo for Marlin Briscoe), Don Strock, Ed Newman
    1974: Don Reese, Benny Malone, Nat Moore, Randy Crowder
    1975: Darryl Carlton, Freddie Solomon, Stan Winfrey
    1976: Larry Gordon, Kim Bokamper, Duriel Harris
    1977: AJ Duhe, Bob Bahmhower, Leroy Harris
    1978: (traded # 1 to San Fran for Delvin Williams), Guy Benjamin, Jimmy Cefalo, Gerald Small, Eric Laakso, Doug Betters, Bruce Hardy, Mark Dennard
    1979: Jon Giesler, Jeff Toews, Tony Nathan, Ronnie Lee, Uwe Von Schamann, Glenn Blackwood, Mike Kozlowski
    1980: Don McNeal, Dwight Stevenson, Bill Barnett, Joe Rose, David Woodley
    1981: David Overstreet, (traded # 2 to Los Angeles for Bob Brudzinski), Andra Franklin, Tommy Vigorito, Fulton Walker, William Judson
    1982: Roy Foster, Mark Duper, Paul Lankford, Charles Bowser, Dan Johnson
    1983: Dan Marino (YES!!!!!!!! More of these please!!!), Mike Charles, Charles Benson, Reggie Roby, Mark Clayton
    1984: Jackie Shipp, Jay Brophy, Joe Carter, Bud Brown - this ranks with the All-Time Bad of Wannstedt/Spielmanian proportions and launched a series of so-so to bad drafts
    1985: Lorenzo Hampton, George Little, Mike Smith, Jeff Dellenbach, Ron Davenport, Fuad Reveiz
    1986: (traded # 1 and # 2a to Tampa Bay for Hugh Green), John Offerdahl, TJ Turner, James Pruitt, Larry Kolic, Renya Thompson
    1987: John Bosa, Rick Graf, Scott Schwedes, Troy Stradford, Mark Dennis
    1988: Eric Kumerow (noooooo!!!!! don't do this again!!!!!) , Jarvis Williams, Ferrell Edmunds, Harry Galbreath, Jeff Cross (not bad for the 9th round), Brian Kinchen
    1989: Sammie Smith, Louis Oliver, Jeff Uhlenhake, Pete Stoyanovich, JB Brown
    1990: Richmond Webb, Keith Sims, Alfred Oglesby, Scott Mitchell (we were off to a good start with Webb/Simms although it foreshadows a disaster later on with Milner/Greene)
    1991: Randall Hill, Aaron Craver, Bryan Cox, Scott Miller
    1992: Troy Vincent, Marco Coleman, Eddie Blake (worst AU pick ever), Larry Webster, Dwight Hollier
    1993: OJ McDuffie, Terry Kirby, Chris Gray (very mediocre AU pick), David Merritt
    1994: Tim Bowens, Aubrey Beavers, Tim Ruddy, William Gaines, Brant Boyer, Sean hill
    1995: (UGGGGGH!!!!!) Billy Milner, Andrew Greene, Norman Hand (Pete Mitchell didn't even play for us but went on to be pretty decent in Jax)
    1996: Darryl Gardener, Karim Abdul-Jabbar, Stanley Pritchett, Jerris McPhail, Shane Borton, Zach Thomas (yes!!!), Shawn Wooden
    1997: Yatil Green, Sam Madison, Jason Taylor, Derrick Rogers, Brent Smith, Ed Perry (this one had real potential had Green not been injured)
    We're about to hit the Locust Years, and these two preceding them are nothing to write home about...
    1998: John Avery (sigh), Patrick Surtain (good pick), Kenny Mixon, Larry Shannon, Lorenzo Brommell
    1999: JJ Johnson, Rob Konrad, Grey Ruegamer, Cecil Collins, Jermaine Haley
    And here we are:
    2000: Todd Wade, Deon Dyer, Arturo Freeman
    2001: Jamar Fletcher, Chris Chambers, Travis Minor, Morlon Greenwood
    2002: (traded # 1 for Ricky Williams), Seth McKinney, Randy McMichael
    2003: (traded # 1 for Ricky Williams), Eddie Moore, Wade Smith, Taylor Whitney, Donald Lee, JR Tolver, Yeremiah Bell - aside from its part to get Williams and YBell, I'd rate this one ALL-TIME WORST
    2004: Vernon Carey, Will Poole, Rex hadnot, Derrick Pope
    2005: Ronnie Brown (War Damn Eagle!), Matt Roth, Channing Crowder, Travis Daniels, Anthony Alabi, Kevin Vickerson
    2006: Jason Allen, Derek Hagan (terrible, terrible, terrible draft - I don't need 5 years)
    2007: Ted Ginn, Jr., John Beck, Samson Satele, Lorenzo Booker, Paul Soliai, Reagan Mauia, Brandon Fields, Abe Wright

My goodness, just going through this exercise, it's hard for me to see just how the Dolphins obtained such a great tradition. It doesn't seem like all of it came through the drafts. Being an inexact science, I'm sure a lot of other teams have a similar success/fail rate, but again, my goodness. You do notice how one or two main cogs (a Marino, for instance) can keep your team afloat or better for a long while.

So which one is your favorite? Hopefully, it's 2008. But if I had to pick just one, mine would be the:

CLASS OF '83
    Not a lot of quantity, but getting Marino and Clayton (along with Csonka and Ronnie Brown, my favorite Dolphins of all-time) in the same draft... I'll take it. Now, if I had to say which is the best... it might be a different answer.

What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Wow. 2000 - 2006 makes me want to puke (besides Ronnie). Despite the mistake of not taking Quinn, 2007 looks brilliant in comparison.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    How can you NOT highlight 77 and 90. Without a doubt up there in the top draft boards..

Nice research btw

EDIT: You mention Milner/Greene but fail to mention Webb, Simms and Scott Mitchell. I only wish we could have another draft of that magnitude....

4. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Yeah, you only need one hand... less if you want to name the guys still on the team from those drafts. Vernon and YBell... and Ricky Williams, if you want to count the trade.

Like I said, Locust Years. And that's a HUUUUUGE reason, maybe the biggest, we are where we are today.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    83 was great with Marino and Clayton....

Actually I like last years draft alot....i think we got a great return man/WR and an anchor for our OL for years to come.

Also I think Booker has "Dave Meggett" written all over him.

6. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Well, to be sure, I was typing this up in a hurry and I sort of got bleary-eyed looking at year after year of draft picks. But that's a reason for paying customers such as yourself - to highlight them for me, which you have, so thankyouverymuch.

Also, I do have Webb/Sims/Oglesby/Mitchell listed in my 1990... I even mentioned that we were off to a good start with Webbs and Sims... but then it foreshadowed the Milner/Greene debacle to come.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You guys are gonna beat me within inches of my life, but I would throw Paul Solai into somebody that I think is gonna, in time, be very serviceable....:shifty:

8. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    You may overstimate just how tough we are.:sad:

But then again...:shifty:

9. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    from 1977 to 1983 was a nice run 1984 was sooo bad 2000 to 2006 i want to puke.........

10. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think we're gonna get a lot of argument from anyone that 2000-2006 were anything but a disaster - although I looooove the Ronnie pick - lest they be Bills/Pats/Jets fans, who might think those Dolphin drafts look pretty good.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Since I have been watching football (2001) - I choose 2007

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Heres to hoping bro:hi5:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Looks like the pickin's are slim for you there.

You're young. I often am amazed, when I talk about something I take as everyday, say 80s music, and will talk to young girls at my work and mention Duran Duran, and they look at me like a dog watching television.

I'll ask, "You know, Duran Duran. Hungry Like the Wolf? Rio? Girls on Film? Union of the Snake?"

No clue.

Anyway, it's something similar with football. I'd just like to tell you... it wasn't always this bad!!!

Ducken and alen1 like this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

15. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Great research bro :up:

It's hard not to look at 83 for someone my age.
    '86 has a near and dear spot in my heart too :D

16. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    girls on film great song + video

17. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

i hear you i like Ronnie alot myself... i can't believe how bad the phins picked when you look back at 2000 to 2006

18. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

How can it be any other than 1983? 1977 was pretty solid too. Don't even talk to me about 2000-2006!

19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Dude, don't foget Girls on Film! I was the same way a few years ago, was talking to some young chick I was trying to get with about old school music, and she said "oh like the Chronic and Doggystyle and stuff?" And I'm like, no, is that old school? And she replied, "oh you mean YOUR old school." That's when I knew I got old. :pointlol: Dang I was only 26 or so ...

For me, it's 1983. We got the best QB ever!

20. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    well looking at the drafts from 2000-2006 you can tell why we have been as bad as we have been

man i miss richmond webb that guy was a beast

but the 68 draft looked like a great one 83 was great so probably those 2 i also have high hopes for the 2007 class looks like satele is the center we have been looking for

21. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    That's hilarious!

I'm 40 now. What is Old School for me? Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds? Terry Jacks singing Seasons in the Sun and other bad 70s music? Badfinger? Ten CC? Kansas/Boston or any other group with a city or state name? Fleetwood Mac (before Buckingham Nicks)? Or can I claim the 80s? I'll take The Cars and early U2 as my old school, then.

And yeah, Marino clinches it for why I like '83.

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Fast times at Ridgemont High and the Big Mac.

23. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Yep, Fast Times! And then there were the Midnight Movies - Rocky Horror Picture Show and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" that ran over and over. Shock Theater on Friday Night TV. And old Saturday Night Live.

But then... this is a Dolphins forum, and I've strayed the course. Sooner or later, I'm gonna get modified or moderated, methinks...

so yeah, CLASS OF '83 - favorite.

Best is probably... hmm...