1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fascinating Piece on the Direction of the NFL - Greg Cosell

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Just came across this today - relates to the Seahawks moves and the draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cosell-seahawks-set-tone-nfl-free-agency-181559870--nfl.html

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Offensively I could see the Dolphins heading in the direction he's talking about if they are really serious about Tavon Austin. But defensively they're clearly not heading in the same direction.

3. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    IMO, the key aspect for defenses going forward is going to be having guys that have enough speed to close fast in space and are physical enough to keep the guys with the ball in their hands from getting a lot of yards after the catch. Ultimately, the goal will be to make the offense have 10+ play drives as opposed to scoring quickly.

How you scheme that is up for debate. Seattle is going in one direction. I think Miami is going in a direction where they don't necessarily want their pass rush coming from the front four. They are going to be more variable as far as their pressure packages, similar to Cincinnati's defense. While Seattle plays an aggressive coverage style, I think Miami is going to play more quarters and soft zones to keep the plays in front of them and to also make plays on the ball in front of them.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.